4.6 - Lightning 5.4 swap TOO many questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010 | 03:42 PM
Smile

Sorry to revive this long-dead thread but I figured it would be easier and save time to piggyback on an existing, related thread.

So Jean-Marc if I understood your posted instructions (at least the applicable part) correctly in order to use an L cluster (any year) on a non-L '99 F-150 you must:

- pull the entire instrument panel harness, which includes the instrument cluster harness, off a wrecked L (or buy new if you have $$$ to burn)
- install the entire instrument panel harness/instrument cluster harness along with the L instrument cluster
- reprogram the new L cluster with the existing PATS module

Is this correct? Can an L cluster be installed without pulling and swapping the entire L panel harness? (Using the existing harness and reprogramming new cluster to old PATS module)

Note that my truck is a '99 XL without tach; All I want to do is add a tach (no engine swap here) but since the L cluster costs just slightly more than a "regular" green cluster so I thought I'd just install the L cluster instead.

Thanks again for the ParInternational rearend suggestion btw, it's still going strong 10 years later. Of course a few parts have changed along the way: clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, rebuilt tranny, master cylinder, brakes, rotors, alternator, muffler, pipes, tips... LOL. Probably spent enough $$ to pay for my '08.

Old 07-21-2010 | 03:53 PM
Truck of the Month
for my 2001 the lightning cluster was a direct bolt in after the PATS programming

for the '97-'98 trucks you need the dash wiring harness

and the lightning cluster isn't needed unless you are able to use the 140mph speedometer

Old 07-22-2010 | 10:51 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor
Only the Non PATS years (97-98) need to replace the PCM and harness to run a PATS Cluster. As yours is a 99 the L Cluster will plug right in. All you need after that is to have the Dealer or a Locksmith reprogram the PATS. Most Dealers will be touchy about the odometer reading on the L Cluster vs yours.

Old 07-23-2010 | 01:04 AM
|
turns out i have everything i need for that cluster swap.... just no money to put the dam thing along with the stupid motor in.

Old 06-07-2011 | 04:33 PM
I've checked around but am not able to find a single dealership in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex who can do this swap for me. Can anyone local help? They said, and I quote: "This cannot be done because the Lighning cluster is different and has different gauges and wiring and even if we install it it still wouldn't work correctly." Another response was "We can try to install this for you but the technician said it wouldn't work." One thing is for certain, if you don't try something there's 100% certainty that it will never work

Old 06-07-2011 | 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by LeanNCut
I've checked around but am not able to find a single dealership in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex who can do this swap for me. Can anyone local help? They said, and I quote: "This cannot be done because the Lighning cluster is different and has different gauges and wiring and even if we install it it still wouldn't work correctly." Another response was "We can try to install this for you but the technician said it wouldn't work." One thing is for certain, if you don't try something there's 100% certainty that it will never work
No , a dealer only knows how to replace a motor of the same year and size!
You will need an independent shop to do it.
You don't even need a Lightning cluster. I don't have one in my truck.

What are you putting it in?

Phil

Old 06-08-2011 | 12:02 AM
The L cluster swap is just for fun, I just wanted the white gauges. The motor swap is coming up but I wanted to pay off my '08 FX4 first before I blow that kind of $$$. I only have a year left so it should be around summer 2012.

My '99 is an XL regular cab, short bed, rwd. She has gone through so many changes though so doesn't look anything like back in '99. Just got done with new leather interior, new Alpine double din head unit, Focal speakers all around. Had to get rid of the Rockford Fosgate T20001BD amp and the two T2D412 subs because I didn't want to tear up the new leather seats lol. Life without a box/subs is great though, shed about 100lbs, lots of leg room, but unfortunately also no bass.

Old 06-08-2011 | 02:53 AM
Easiest way to go is with this.
http://www.stylintrucks.com/category...and-_trim.aspx

And an auxiliary tack if ya want one.

Old 06-08-2011 | 03:57 AM
|
Originally Posted by LeanNCut
The L cluster swap is just for fun, I just wanted the white gauges. The motor swap is coming up but I wanted to pay off my '08 FX4 first before I blow that kind of $$$. I only have a year left so it should be around summer 2012.

My '99 is an XL regular cab, short bed, rwd. She has gone through so many changes though so doesn't look anything like back in '99. Just got done with new leather interior, new Alpine double din head unit, Focal speakers all around. Had to get rid of the Rockford Fosgate T20001BD amp and the two T2D412 subs because I didn't want to tear up the new leather seats lol. Life without a box/subs is great though, shed about 100lbs, lots of leg room, but unfortunately also no bass.
there is a member on lightningrodder named KillerRide who just did the L swap into his supercab and he successfully swapped his old cluster for the L cluster.. track him down and he can tell you exactly how he did it.. i talked to the guy and i'm going the same route as him

Old 06-08-2011 | 07:23 AM
Great find, thanks. Does he have email? I don't want to register just to get his info lol.

Old 06-08-2011 | 11:51 AM
My 2003 F150 XL (non tach) got L cluster last week. Local dealer did not have any issues to do the replacement. They even hooked up the boost cauge for vacuum line. Works nice.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/19...ster-swap.html

Last edited by piggington; 06-08-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-08-2011 | 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by phil6608
Speedo overlays are only for trucks which have cluster with tacho. I don't know if "Dancing Flames" are just stickers or the complete overlay.

Old 06-08-2011 | 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by piggington
Speedo overlays are only for trucks which have cluster with tacho. I don't know if "Dancing Flames" are just stickers or the complete overlay.
Yeah, Ive got a flam overlay in my truck. I didn't get that dasing thing...lol I dont think I would like that.

I have an L cluster in my basement I want to install. Basically for the 140 speedo.
Dose your link in your post have any details on how they set your mileage or any other good info such as the cost for the dealer to do it?

Phil

Old 06-08-2011 | 12:16 PM
Aha! I knew this could be done. Thank you for all the replies guys, man I LOVE this forum!

Old 06-08-2011 | 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by phil6608
Dose your link in your post have any details on how they set your mileage or any other good info such as the cost for the dealer to do it?

Phil
Yes, it has this info. But here is the summary: some dealers are able to match the mileage in ECM with the cluster, some not.
In my case, I ordered a factory refurbed L cluster from Tousley Ford with correct mileage programmed in, so dealer had to match the cluster with ECM and program the PATS.

Quick Reply: 4.6 - Lightning 5.4 swap TOO many questions!