Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009 | 03:41 AM
[QUOTE=motorking;3973319]It was YOU who made the claim that Wix and Motorcraft had efficiency ratings far below Fram. When challenged on it, you claim you have no way to come up with that information because neither of them publish it.

They will give it to you if you ask persistently, what credibilty would those numbers have if they came from me? Of course we test other peoples filters and do have those numbers, it would not be ethical for us to publish them, If you really want to know (and I suspect you do not) just ask them

I made the statement that I quit using Fram long before I ever read the reports on them because my oil got dirty too quick, I didn't fabricate that. When I changed to Purolater my oil stayed visibly cleaner.

I would be happy to pay for you to have you oil analyized by a professional lab after using our filter and anyone elses, you cannot tell anything about your oil by looking at it. Your engine may have been dirty inside in the past, some good oil with detergent and FRAM or Purolater cleaned it up so now it appears cleaner.

Motorking- You would make a good politician- you definitely have the DNA for it... and I think you know what I mean. Talk a lot ... and say nothing. I still say there's a reason why so many people will have nothing to do with Fram. And it has nothing to do with being bullies and wanting to pick on Fram- something about quality... and credibility! I can just imagine the responses your customers get when something you have worked on blows up. Couldn't possibly have been your fault, right? You're pretty good at ludicrous statements.

Last edited by code58; 11-25-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2009 | 08:09 AM
[QUOTE=code58;3974333]
Originally Posted by motorking
It was YOU who made the claim that Wix and Motorcraft had efficiency ratings far below Fram. When challenged on it, you claim you have no way to come up with that information because neither of them publish it.

They will give it to you if you ask persistently, what credibilty would those numbers have if they came from me? Of course we test other peoples filters and do have those numbers, it would not be ethical for us to publish them, If you really want to know (and I suspect you do not) just ask them

I made the statement that I quit using Fram long before I ever read the reports on them because my oil got dirty too quick, I didn't fabricate that. When I changed to Purolater my oil stayed visibly cleaner.

I would be happy to pay for you to have you oil analyized by a professional lab after using our filter and anyone elses, you cannot tell anything about your oil by looking at it. Your engine may have been dirty inside in the past, some good oil with detergent and FRAM or Purolater cleaned it up so now it appears cleaner.

Motorking- You would make a good politician- you definitely have the DNA for it... and I think you know what I mean. Talk a lot ... and say nothing. I still say there's a reason why so many people will have nothing to do with Fram. And it has nothing to do with being bullies and wanting to pick on Fram- something about quality... and credibility! I can just imagine the responses your customers get when something you have worked on blows up. Couldn't possibly have been your fault, right? You're pretty good at ludicrous statements.
Say nothing?
Hmmm, I reached out to the original poster, gave him a link to Magnussen Moss warranty act, offered to personally help him with the dealer jacking him around. Provided a copy of the cam phaser knocking TSB. Also provided the correct service bulletin for removing your spark plugs without breaking them. Offered to have your oil analyized by an independent lab. I really dont see how that is talking without saying anything. You are simply an opinionated guy and certainly entitled to your opinions. And most of the BS on this forum is just reguritated internet tribal knowledge and nothing more. We make over 100 million filters a year. Think about it just for a minute. They are very clearly warrantied against defects and we stand behind them 100%.

We do not buy 100 million engines a year dude, there just isnt that kind of profit in a oil filter. Have a nice thanksgiving and try not to think too hard on all this
peace.

Old 11-26-2009 | 03:45 AM
[QUOTE=motorking;3974400][QUOTE=code58;3974333]

You are simply an opinionated guy and certainly entitled to your opinions. And most of the BS on this forum is just reguritated internet tribal knowledge and nothing more.
I guess if anyone would know anything about opinions it would be "opinionking" now wouldn't it? Who but a Honeywell/Fram guy would so put down a bunch of forum members with a slam like that because a lot of them don't want anything to do with his product (from personal experience). It would be good for you to take the "Honeywell Honeywagon" with you when you go, it's smelling the place up!

Old 11-26-2009 | 12:03 PM
This thread is spiraling to the end. It is pointless. It is a "He said, she said" argument with no facts. Many people have had bad experiences on Triton engines with noise that was cured by simply replacing the Fram filter with another brand. Clearly there is something to that. Yes it may filter fine but that is not the only thing that makes a good filter. There is clearly something bad about the Fram filter for the F150. Motorking, we do not expect you to agree but if you have factual data present it.

Old 11-26-2009 | 12:17 PM
You win, I am off here. Enjoy your holiday.

Old 11-26-2009 | 12:43 PM
Nobody won anything. We finally get a Fram rep on here that could answer our questions but you choose not to. All we asked for is test data that you are allowed to present. Of course we do not want you to show anything that would get you in trouble with your bosses. We just want to know why Fram filters work great on most vehicles but cause noise on the modular motors (other than the noise in the TSB). There has to be a reason. Fram's filtering efficiency is fine but something else is wrong. Is it the drain back valve design? Is it the bypass?
I will agree that some have wrongly attributed noise like piston slap or other noises to the filters and that there are trolls that just like to argue on the internet but most have shown that a simple filter swap cures their noise. Why?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Norm; 11-26-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2009 | 01:35 PM
You win, I am off here. Enjoy your holiday.
We would hope sales reps would have a thicker skin then this..

Old 11-26-2009 | 02:25 PM
Hello,
FRAM has been using fiber end caps for over 25 years. The end cap IS NOT a structural element of the filter. Think about this- The fiber end cap and the filter media are made of similar material, if the end cap was going to cause issue's, wouldnt the filter media as well? I mean, its cellulose/synthetic fiber or just plain cellulose (paper) in most oil filters. The only purpose of the end cap in any oil filter is to seal the end of the media cartridge. Now, if you have ever tried to glue something to a smooth piece of metal, you know that it does not provide a good bond. What do you think would bond better to fiber media, another piece of fiber media or a smooth metal disc?

AC Delco and Champ labs have recently adopted this design. I cut open the filter of a 240,000$ Bentley, iy had fiber end caps. The OE's believe in this technology. It has been well tested and well proven.

I've always been a purchaser of Fram filters
Then you have been using FRAM filters with fiber end caps successfully for years.

several years ago on this forum I made the point about paper end caps not being an issue because the filter media is also paper. I also agree that adhering paper to paper is much less of a technical challenge than adhering paper to metal. I guess some members would rather make up/and or believe in junk science.

Orange frams derfinitely have less filter media than a wix , purolator or motorcraft. However all engineering is a compromise. I have seen published data and the orange fram has the lowet pressuure drop across the media of any name brand filter. The lower ther pressure drop the greater the flow volume. Just like the K and N's have great airflow, minimum pressure drop and the the lowest ratings for particle removal.

The only issue I have ever had with a fram product was with the last air filter I put in my 4.6. The base polymer gasket had split 330 degree. I was not happy especially since I work for Honeywell Defense and Space as Quality and Composites engineer.

Old 11-26-2009 | 02:41 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by rmeidlinger
several years ago on this forum I made the point about paper end caps not being an issue because the filter media is also paper. I also agree that adhering paper to paper is much less of a technical challenge than adhering paper to metal. I guess some members would rather make up/and or believe in junk science.

Orange frams derfinitely have less filter media than a wix , purolator or motorcraft. However all engineering is a compromise. I have seen published data and the orange fram has the lowet pressuure drop across the media of any name brand filter. The lower ther pressure drop the greater the flow volume. Just like the K and N's have great airflow, minimum pressure drop and the the lowest ratings for particle removal.

The only issue I have ever had with a fram product was with the last air filter I put in my 4.6. The base polymer gasket had split 330 degree. I was not happy especially since I work for Honeywell Defense and Space as Quality and Composites engineer.
Ok, all of that my be very true. The Fram may filter just as well, but how do you get around the fact that people have asked the question on this site about a rattle at crank up, and when asked they say they are running a Fram filter. They are told to change to Motorcraft, they do, and they come back on here thankng everyone because they are very happy to eliminate that noise. That has happened, I can remember at least 3 times and it seems like more.

That, to me is the major issue and enough reason to me to never buy a Fram filter. My Dad was in the parts business and sold them as long as I remember and I used to use them myself.

Old 11-26-2009 | 03:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Bull. Tell them you want it fixed under the warranty agreement or you will get an attorney. They can no more dictate what filter you use than they can what brand oil you use. Tell them you want to see where it states ONLY to use a Motorcraft filter or the warranty is void. They are making an assumption based on no proof and they can not prove it either. These dealers used to fry my ***. If they won't work with you then you can always take it to another dealer that will fix it. There is a hotline that you can also call and complain to. If they still won't work on it paint lemons on the truck and drive through their lot all day long. Trust me you will get action then. Don't be intimidated by these guys you have rights. I suspect it may be a rod bearing from you discription. Maybe a phaser, but regardless its under your extended warranty. Good luck !!

100% Agree!!!! Try googling "Magnuson Moss Act". Basicly they have to PROVE that the "non-oem" part caused the damage.

AND DON'T EVER EVER EVER EVER Use Fram filters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are POS!
I wouldn't even use them on my riding lawnmower (if it had a filter)!!!!!!!

Hope everything works out----DirtySCREW

Old 11-26-2009 | 11:47 PM
All we asked for is test data
And Motorking was asked more than once for the data but so far hasn't said anything with any substance at all. I asked you directly for test data and to talk with these guys technically but so far everything you've come up with is generalizations. Frankly, yer starting to sound like a duck.

Old 11-27-2009 | 04:35 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
That, to me is the major issue and enough reason to me to never buy a Fram filter. My Dad was in the parts business and sold them as long as I remember and I used to use them myself.
I think that was because at one time they were actually a good filter. Like so many things Blue, that were at one time really good products, the beancounters (don't remember just exactly what you do, hope that's not offensive to you) and greed took over, pushed the people who put the product on the map with quality, out of the drivers seat and took over (and have often thrown the originators off the bus completely) I don't think it has necessarily served us well to have so much questionable quality offshore content in what American vehicles we have left. Have you read about the Chinese drywall? Point made!!!

Old 11-27-2009 | 04:42 AM
charge more , get less, ie-they cut the size of ice cream containers from 1 gallon to 3 qts ,but kept the price the same, as people say- things don't last like they used to ,it's because it has become a replaceable society regarding products...

Old 11-27-2009 | 01:18 PM
I've had one bad experience from fram with my 95 F150 where it blew a seal and spewed oil on the ground while I was parked at the grocery store and I was fortunate to not suffer engine damage from lack of lube....it's that old saying 1st time shame on you, 2nd time shame on me.

On a another note, i have 2 free KN filters been sitting in my garage and I was "thinking" to use one on my next change.

Thoughts?

Old 11-27-2009 | 01:25 PM
I agree... something is odd when people change the filters and the noise stops. I think this was a case of "BAD Data! Buy what you need!"

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 11-27-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter