Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009 | 01:55 PM
I knew I saved these pics for a reason. So Motorking, whatcha got to say about this Fram air filter?

Note the end cap in the air box and the dirt in the air box.

This came out of a ranchers F150 and he asked us to see if there was any damage to the engine. As it ended up, we didn't do anything to the unit as he decided to move on to another truck. The air filter would have had 25,000 miles on it. Note, it isn't near as dirty as it should be considering the environment the engine is living in.

Regardless of brand of air filter you buy, I think it's a good idea to run a bead of glue around the end caps on these filters. While the cap is not really subject to any major outside forces except the air sucking the cap tighter to the media, I can see where this could be a weak area. I would consider it prudent maintenance to glue it yourself.

Old 11-27-2009 | 05:46 PM
^^that same thing happened to me on my fram filter. thats why i will never buy fram again

Old 11-27-2009 | 08:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Labnerd
I knew I saved these pics for a reason. So Motorking, whatcha got to say about this Fram air filter?

Note the end cap in the air box and the dirt in the air box.

This came out of a ranchers F150 and he asked us to see if there was any damage to the engine. As it ended up, we didn't do anything to the unit as he decided to move on to another truck. The air filter would have had 25,000 miles on it. Note, it isn't near as dirty as it should be considering the environment the engine is living in.

Regardless of brand of air filter you buy, I think it's a good idea to run a bead of glue around the end caps on these filters. While the cap is not really subject to any major outside forces except the air sucking the cap tighter to the media, I can see where this could be a weak area. I would consider it prudent maintenance to glue it yourself.
Not to sound paranoid but you may want to think twice about using glue or RTV to reattach the air filter pieces. Some solvents in certain products may damage engine sensors. Take care.

Old 11-27-2009 | 10:59 PM
I had the same type noise come from my 08 and they tried to tell me it was cam phasers too. But at 35000miles the oil pump went out (split) and they tried to not warrenty because i had electric fans on. The new engine with 40000miles on it doesn't make that noise and it runs much better not slugish on take off.

Old 11-28-2009 | 04:12 AM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Not to sound paranoid but you may want to think twice about using glue or RTV to reattach the air filter pieces. Some solvents in certain products may damage engine sensors. Take care.
Very true. 1st I would say I wouldn't want to run a filter that I felt I had to take that kind of a measure with and second, if you want to use the questionable Fram products (I've never figured out why, but some do), at least use the sensor safe silicone. Use Purolator (if you don't want to use MC) and I'll bet you don't have them falling apart like that inferior product by the company that makes 100's of millions of those inferior products every year.

Old 12-05-2009 | 11:11 AM
|
Well, the dealership called and fixed the problem. They replaced the cam phasers and it resolved the issue. Tried to charge me again but made it clear that if they would have fixed it right the first time then I wouldnt have had to take it back. They did not charge me but I do know that I will never take a vehicle back to this dealership ever again! some of the worst customer service I have ever seen.

Old 12-05-2009 | 11:21 AM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by oldtruckluvr
Well, the dealership called and fixed the problem. They replaced the cam phasers and it resolved the issue. Tried to charge me again but made it clear that if they would have fixed it right the first time then I wouldnt have had to take it back. They did not charge me but I do know that I will never take a vehicle back to this dealership ever again! some of the worst customer service I have ever seen.
Glad you got it fixed! That dealership has no idea about the melee thay caused on this site!

Old 12-06-2009 | 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Glad you got it fixed! That dealership has no idea about the melee thay caused on this site!
I have been reading this thread for some time this morning and your statement is the perfect ending to this story (sorry to mess it up).

Thanks to everyone for the interesting read. It almost got to a flame war but for the most part cool heads prevailed.

Old 01-03-2010 | 12:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

At one point I took my truck in for the knock noise, I had an aftermarket filter on there. The dealer said change filter, they did, noise still there, so now I will go back and talk about the cam phasers and see what they say. I have been using motorcraft ever since then, I now have 24000 miles

Old 01-03-2010 | 10:17 AM
Truck of the Month
Cam phasers are noisy. They may fix it but the noise will come back more often than not.

Old 01-06-2010 | 06:06 PM
never mind

Quick Reply: Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter