Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009 | 11:44 PM
I would think if these company's keep making crap that is causing these engine failures or at least maint nitmares, they would get hammered with class action lawsuits. I am running a K&N and stock plugs. When I change them I will have to do some research. I don't see how a oil filter can be held liable for the engine failure on fords behalf. It doesn't say what filter to use. Just says we recommend motorcraft. Some dealers lack what it takes to be considered "family" and that's a shame.

Last edited by mixedbreed; 11-11-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2009 | 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by mixedbreed
I would think these companys kept making crap that is causing these engine failures or at least maint nitmares. I am running a K&N and stock plugs. When I change them I will have to do some research. I don't see how a oil filter can be held liable for the engine failure on fords behalf. It doesn't say what filter to use. Just says we recommend motorcraft. Some dealers lack what it takes to be considered "family" and that's a shame.
modular motors are picky, even more the 3v's. but why not use motorcraft? why WOULDNT you use something of factory spec

Old 11-11-2009 | 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by f150fella08
why not use motorcraft? why WOULDNT you use something of factory spec
That is a great thought. Never looked at it that way. But I don't use them mostly due to convenience. I can run to the firestone near my house, chose my filter and oil and be done in 20-30 minutes, but at the dealer I have to schedule it our 2-3 days and then leave my truck for 1/2 the day. I know if I felt strongly enough about motorcraft products I probably would go thru the pain but I don't. Am I missing something here? Again, great argument for using motorcraft

Last edited by mixedbreed; 11-11-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2009 | 11:57 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by mixedbreed
That is a great thought. Never looked at it that way. But I don't use them mostly due to convenience. I can run to the firestone near my house, chose my filter and oil and be done in 20-30 minutes, but at the dealer I have to schedule it our 2-3 days and then leave my truck for 1/2 the day. I know if I felt strongly enough about motorcraft products I probably would go thru the pain but I don't. Am I missing something here? Again, great argument for using motorcraft
You don't have to get it at the dealer. Walmart carries Motorcraft oil and filters. However, my dealer charges only about $25 for an oil change and I get it done in about 30 minutes. I can't mess with it much cheaper than that.

Old 11-12-2009 | 12:17 AM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by Bluejay
It's a well known fact that the Fram filters can cause a knock on start up. They anti drain back valve fails and there is no oil on start up.
4 out of 5 of the Fram models levels offered do not even have a drain back valve to begin with. Only the 13$ filter has one

Old 11-12-2009 | 12:29 AM
I think (hopefully) truckluver the points been made that these guys can not deny you warranty because you're using a Fram filter. I'll bet money as crappy as Fram filters are, they technically meet Ford specs! Plus, for Ford to deny a warranty claim on that would imply they specify what filter you would have to use to retain a good warranty. For them to specify that would require them to provide it for you free of charge. DYNOTECH has given you some great advice in this area. Me personally though, if I had already encountered this issue with a dealer and no harm was done thus far, I'd just move on to a dealer that's not filled with idiots...if you can find one

As for Motorcraft filters, they're good. Damn good for the price. Bang for the buck, they probably can't be beat. But why everyone is so darn hung up on them is beyond me. MC's are not the end-all be-all of oil filters. There are better filters out there. Cost more but superior none the less. Everyone gets hung up on meeting Ford specs all the time...how about exceeding Ford specs. Amsoil and Mobil 1 filters either one are better than MC. Just go pick one up and compare the construction and materials used and judge for yourself.

Last edited by Galaxy; 11-23-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2009 | 05:56 PM
I agree with Dynotech as they are just giving you a lot of BS.... Warranty is warranty and they will be paid for any services provided. Post the name of the Ford Stalership that is giving you a hard time and ask everyone to stay away. True that the Fram does not have anti-drain valve but for the few seconds at start-up, it is not the root of your problem....

Old 11-12-2009 | 06:14 PM
Fram Oil Filters=KapL000EEEE on Modular Ford V8's!!! Never used one! Never will! Stick with MotorCraft FL-820-S quality filters!

Old 11-12-2009 | 10:01 PM
|
Originally Posted by arubba
I agree with Dynotech as they are just giving you a lot of BS.... Warranty is warranty and they will be paid for any services provided. Post the name of the Ford Stalership that is giving you a hard time and ask everyone to stay away. True that the Fram does not have anti-drain valve but for the few seconds at start-up, it is not the root of your problem....
Well the owner of the dealership called me today and told me to change oil and put motorcraft filter on and then bring it in again next week. he said there would be no questions and they would fix it under the warranty. they said it could cost $4000 to fix but i only have to pay my co-pay. so hopefully i will get this fixed. i will keep you posted on what happens. i will not be using fram anymore even if it is not the cause of the problem. i appreciate everyones feedback! Thanks!

Old 11-12-2009 | 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Fram Oil Filters=KapL000EEEE on Modular Ford V8's!!! Never used one! Never will! Stick with MotorCraft FL-820-S quality filters!
no kiddin what is it 3.89 plus tax?

amsoil filters are how much? about 16 bucks a filter?

for the money ill stick with ALL motorcraft parts to ensure my truck stays running

Old 11-12-2009 | 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by f150fella08
no kiddin what is it 3.89 plus tax?

amsoil filters are how much? about 16 bucks a filter?

for the money ill stick with ALL motorcraft parts to ensure my truck stays running
MotorCraft $3.89 every 3,000 = $31.00+ every 25,000 miles
Amsoil $16.00 every 25,000 miles.

Where's the savings?? You guys complain about the cost of quality but you don't know how to use it.

Old 11-12-2009 | 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy

Where's the savings?? You guys complain about the cost of quality but you don't know how to use it.
yea...i wouldnt run oil/filter of any kind for 25k miles

Old 11-13-2009 | 04:09 AM
Originally Posted by Galaxy

Who says you have to change the Motorcraft at 3k mi? Use MC oil and filter and change at 5k or 7500 mi. I change my SIL's oil on her '07 5.4 3V. She was on a long trip and called me about 1 1/2 mo. after I had last changed it and said she was over on miles, had about 6k mi. on it. When I changed it, it had over 10k mi! The oil wasn't down more than a pint and I was amazed at how clean it was. Motorcraft oil and filter, ya done good. 25k mi on oil and filter? Even with Amsoil, you must not think much of your truck. Have to change MC at 3k and AmSOIL is good for 25k? That's ludicrous!

Old 11-13-2009 | 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by code58
Motorcraft oil and filter, ya done good. 25k mi on oil and filter? Even with Amsoil, you must not think much of your truck. Have to change MC at 3k and AmSOIL is good for 25k? That's ludicrous!
yea i think amsoil says on the bottles 12k or something like that. i remember the titus county sheriffs dept where i usta work at used amsoil 5w20 with amsoil filter for 20k and geez that oil looked horrible. didnt use much (good ole crown vic ) but man it was straight black.

and i know a guy that goes 32k on RP and a crappy partsmaster or microguard filter!!! the oil was grayish color!

Old 11-14-2009 | 02:13 PM
glc
Just because oil is black doesn't mean it's shot. It simply means that it's doing its job and keeping micro particles in suspension instead of dropping them as sludge. The particles are essentially soot, which is soft and not abrasive.

The Motorcraft is one of the only CHEAP filters I'd use - the others being Purolator (who makes the Motorcraft filters) and Wix (who makes the Napa Gold). However, I use Mobil 1 filters and Mobil 1 EP oil, it's my choice, and they both exceed OEM specs and I don't care about the cost. I run them to between 8 and 10k, I'm comfortable with that.

To to OP - if you are going to get an oil change then bring it back, use the Motorcraft filter and the specified Motorcraft 5W20 semi-synthetic to be safe. They are both CHEAP and I'd bet if you don't want to do it yourself, you could get that done at Walmart if you trust their shop.

Quick Reply: Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter