Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009 | 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by motorking
I am also not here to pick on Amsoil either. Their warranty is the same as ours, if our product causes a failure in you vehicle, we take care of it, so do they.
if you reread my post, you'll notice not once did I dispute the warranty position/differences with you. My post was mainly in response to your claim that Amsoil recommended OE change intervals to be covered under warranty, which is clearly not factual. Nothing to agree to disagree on there...those are facts I provided.

Old 11-20-2009 | 06:46 PM
|
i will print out that information that was given. I am just waiting to get back in to the dealer with my mc filter on it. hopefully will be in next week. thank you for all the great information!!

Old 11-20-2009 | 07:16 PM
Fram filters(and any other POS filter made by honeywell-penzoil-quakerstate ect.) have cardboard end caps inside them...dont belive me? cut one open and compare it to a motorcraft or other QUALITY filter. This cardboard is known to have chunks come loose and plug oil galleries to the cylinder heads, limiting lube to journals and phasers. If the tech takes off any bearing caps and finds the cam journals are scored and you had a Fram filter on there you are SCREWED. Let this be a lesson to you...avoid Fram.

Old 11-20-2009 | 11:26 PM
glc
Like I said - it needs to be redesigned. Using cardboard end caps and shoddy anti-drainback valves is just too much of a cost-cutting measure in my opinion. Do it right and raise the price 50 cents if you have to. People will still buy them due to the name recognition and the fact that every store in the world carries them, and you won't have people like us slamming them any more.

I don't dispute that your filter media is efficient. However, you stuff that into a crappy can and don't assemble it right and the whole filter becomes crap.

Last edited by glc; 11-20-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2009 | 04:24 AM
Our least expensive filter is 96% efficient, much better than the mid 80's performance of WIX or Motorcraft.
I couldn't pass this one up Motorking. What planet are you from? I have used Fram in the past and finally quit when I was disappointed that the oil got dirty so quick. I began using Purolater and the oil was significantly cleaner at change time. These were not on Fords. I do most of the work on My son and DIL's Lexus and Suburban. He had been changing the oil and filter on them and using Fram because they were easy to get. I told him if he wanted me to continue to help him, the Fram's had to go, non-negotiable. He now uses Wix and is happier also with the cleaner oil. I challenge you to post a LEGITIMATE study of the filtering performance of the Wix and MC filters backing your claim. I'm saying no such study exists unless Fram phonied one up. That is utterly ludicrous. You don't work on the Obama team when you're not at Fram do you? Serious!

Old 11-21-2009 | 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
Fram filters(and any other POS filter made by honeywell-penzoil-quakerstate ect.) have cardboard end caps inside them...dont belive me? cut one open and compare it to a motorcraft or other QUALITY filter. This cardboard is known to have chunks come loose and plug oil galleries to the cylinder heads, limiting lube to journals and phasers. If the tech takes off any bearing caps and finds the cam journals are scored and you had a Fram filter on there you are SCREWED. Let this be a lesson to you...avoid Fram.
Well, you might not be totally SCREWED...like the man said, you'd most likely get your money back for the filter

Seriously though, this would be a very interesting (for lack of a better word) situation to be in with the dealer (Ford Motor Company actually) if the vehicle were under warranty. What would happen if the filter was proven to cause engine damage to an engine under warranty? Can Ford really deny the warranty claim?? After all, they can't dictate what filter you use unless they provided it for you. If a Fram filter was proven to have trashed your engine could Ford go after Fram? Or would the individual have to pursue the matter? I'll tell you with Amsoil, your motor would be covered. I can't make that statement that confidently about any other filter...including MC. And I have personally seen MC filters mechanically fail.

Old 11-21-2009 | 01:16 PM
Lately on large warranty claims Ford dealers go through an extensive prior approval proccess before they get new parts shipped. If the person on the other end asks the service advisor what filter is on the engine and he tells them Fram, goodbye warranty. Ford engineers arent stupid, they know very well the dangers of these filters. Try and fight it...you cant. The filter doesnt meet Fords standards..period. What filter does? Motorcraft and only Motorcraft.

Old 11-21-2009 | 02:04 PM
definitly stay away from fram filters. i put one on my truck awhile back and my truck burned almost 2 quarts of oil in 3 weeks somehow. i had no idea why it was doing it so i called the service manager at ford and he said he has heard of that happening when you dont use a motocraft filter. after that im just sticking with nothing but motocraft in my truck

Old 11-21-2009 | 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by ridinmudddy
definitly stay away from fram filters. i put one on my truck awhile back and my truck burned almost 2 quarts of oil in 3 weeks somehow. i had no idea why it was doing it so i called the service manager at ford and he said he has heard of that happening when you dont use a motocraft filter. after that im just sticking with nothing but motocraft in my truck
OK...I know we're all getting our two cents in on Fram filters, but come on. That one makes no sense what so ever. No logical reason at all (that I can come up with) how an oil filter would contribute to your problem.

Old 11-21-2009 | 02:46 PM
I think you guys are being a little hard on the Fram guy who is only trying to help the original poster. The question to him should be are all of the Fram filters that fit the Triton series of engines tested under the ISO 4548/12 specs. What are the results of the testing? You can dislike the cardboard end caps if you like but a lot of the Motorcraft and Purolator filters are now cardboard end caps. If assembled correctly, there is no problem with the use of them. So how about it MotorKing? Got some test results you can share? This is not yer typical car forum guys here- they speak engine technology. Get as technical as you like.

Not to sway any discussions here but this is kinda interesting but don't read a lot into it. While one filter may have more media than another it really doesn't mean much as the medias may be completely different types and therefore the capacity and filtration may be the same or better for the smaller media.

http://www.mechdb.com/index.php/Oil_filter_analysis

Old 11-21-2009 | 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by ridinmudddy
the problem isnt the oil filter.

Old 11-21-2009 | 03:53 PM
Lately on large warranty claims Ford dealers go through an extensive prior approval proccess before they get new parts shipped. If the person on the other end asks the service advisor what filter is on the engine and he tells them Fram, goodbye warranty. Ford engineers arent stupid, they know very well the dangers of these filters. Try and fight it...you cant. The filter doesnt meet Fords standards..period. What filter does? Motorcraft and only Motorcraft.
They cannot legally do that unless they provide you the Motorcraft filter for free. The burden of proof is also on the dealer. Fram is crap but the dealer doesn't have a leg to stand on. Especially when there are many reasons for the customers noise other than filter.
You are protected by the Magnusson-Moss Warrant Act.

Old 11-21-2009 | 03:57 PM
The filter doesnt meet Fords standards..period. What filter does? Motorcraft and only Motorcraft.
Ahhh, not buying that one. Where are you getting info from that MC filters are the only filters that meet Ford specs?? I find that extremely highly unlikely. First off, Ford specs, as with any OE manufacturing specs, are by all accounts the minimum requirements and really not that stringent. Heck, I'd bet you money the Fram filter technically meets any Ford specs. I may lose that bet, but I'll take it. There's still no way other quality filters out there don't meet or far exceed any requirement set fourth by the OEM.

Old 11-21-2009 | 04:31 PM
yea motorcrafts not the ONLY filter to meet specs....period. im just big on using all factory replacement parts. everything ive replaced, besides mufflers and catalytic converters, are motorcraft

Old 11-22-2009 | 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by code58
I couldn't pass this one up Motorking. What planet are you from? I have used Fram in the past and finally quit when I was disappointed that the oil got dirty so quick. I began using Purolater and the oil was significantly cleaner at change time. These were not on Fords. I do most of the work on My son and DIL's Lexus and Suburban. He had been changing the oil and filter on them and using Fram because they were easy to get. I told him if he wanted me to continue to help him, the Fram's had to go, non-negotiable. He now uses Wix and is happier also with the cleaner oil. I challenge you to post a LEGITIMATE study of the filtering performance of the Wix and MC filters backing your claim. I'm saying no such study exists unless Fram phonied one up. That is utterly ludicrous. You don't work on the Obama team when you're not at Fram do you? Serious!
Ok, you guys I give up. We clearly have posted the efficiency ratings of all of our filters, tested to ISO standards for years. We sell over 100 million filters a year and if there was an issue with fiber end caps coming apart we would be out of business. The only way I can post the ratings of other filters is if we had an independent lab do the tests. What credibility would we have if we posted internal results? We post the results of our testing on our filters, that is all we can legally do. WIX does not. MC does not. Purolater does and they do make good filters. You can get this information from WIX or Motorcraft about thier filters, just ask persistantly. If they will not give it to you, well that is suspect. If you think fiber end caps are bad news, then why has AC Delco adopted this design across the board? I just cut open a 48$ oil filter from a Bentley Arnage, yes a fiber end cap design. New Toyota filters have no end cap at all, just glue sealing the ends of the media. I would like to see your oil analysis reports showing the oil having more dirt with FRAM than when using other filters. The poster on here who says his truck began burning oil when using a FRAM filter is technically accurate? Seriously, I am a ASE master tech and have been for 30 years, specializing in heavy engine repair. Now I could be as rude to him as some of you have been to me but I would never represent my company that way. I would ask any of you to do this- Ask MC or WIX or your favorite filter company to send you the results of their filter tests using the current ISO test standards, I will send you ours and you can then make the judgement based on science and not internet tribal knowledge. All I did on this forum is try to help a member who is having trouble with a dealer, only to be slammed repeatedly. Here is another question you could ask MC, who makes their filters? They do not. Ask WIX who they make OE filters for, hmmm nobody would be the answer to that.
Hope you all have a nice holiday and I am still willing to help the guy with the dealership issue's. I am also more than happy to provide technical repair information to any forum member who asks.

Quick Reply: Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter