Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldtruckluvr
i will print out that information that was given. I am just waiting to get back in to the dealer with my mc filter on it. hopefully will be in next week. thank you for all the great information!!
Please feel free to contact me if things do not go well. I will put you in contact with our claims and engineering dept and they will assist.
Jay.Buckley@Honeywell.com

Old 11-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
Fram filters(and any other POS filter made by honeywell-penzoil-quakerstate ect.) have cardboard end caps inside them...dont belive me? cut one open and compare it to a motorcraft or other QUALITY filter. This cardboard is known to have chunks come loose and plug oil galleries to the cylinder heads, limiting lube to journals and phasers. If the tech takes off any bearing caps and finds the cam journals are scored and you had a Fram filter on there you are SCREWED. Let this be a lesson to you...avoid Fram.
I would love to see your PROOF of that statement, show me the pictures, the denied warranty claims ect. If this really happened, we would buy the guy an engine, plain and simple.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Well, you might not be totally SCREWED...like the man said, you'd most likely get your money back for the filter

Seriously though, this would be a very interesting (for lack of a better word) situation to be in with the dealer (Ford Motor Company actually) if the vehicle were under warranty. What would happen if the filter was proven to cause engine damage to an engine under warranty? Can Ford really deny the warranty claim?? After all, they can't dictate what filter you use unless they provided it for you. If a Fram filter was proven to have trashed your engine could Ford go after Fram? Or would the individual have to pursue the matter? I'll tell you with Amsoil, your motor would be covered. I can't make that statement that confidently about any other filter...including MC. And I have personally seen MC filters mechanically fail.
And I can tell you in no uncertain terms that if a FRAM filter was proven to cause an engine failure, we would pay for all parts, labor, rental car ect involved. It says so right in our warranty statement. FORD or the delaer would not need to "come after" FRAM. We would investigate using a independent investigator and follow his recommendation period.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Fram filters(and any other POS filter made by honeywell-penzoil-quakerstate ect.) have cardboard end caps inside them...dont belive me? cut one open and compare it to a motorcraft or other QUALITY filter. This cardboard is known to have chunks come loose and plug oil galleries to the cylinder heads, limiting lube to journals and phasers. If the tech takes off any bearing caps and finds the cam journals are scored and you had a Fram filter on there you are SCREWED. Let this be a lesson to you...avoid Fram.
I would love to see your proof of this. You know, the denied warranty claims, the filter coming apart. You have such knowledge of this happening, show us the proof! If it did happen and you, your buddy, neighbor ect was denied covergae for a failed engine, I will help them file a claim with FRAM. Bentley oil filters use fiber end caps, so do Honda, Subaru, AC Delco and many more. Toyota now uses no end caps at all, just glue.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by ridinmudddy
definitly stay away from fram filters. i put one on my truck awhile back and my truck burned almost 2 quarts of oil in 3 weeks somehow. i had no idea why it was doing it so i called the service manager at ford and he said he has heard of that happening when you dont use a motocraft filter. after that im just sticking with nothing but motocraft in my truck
I thought this forum was populated with serious engine guys. If you can explain to me technically how a oil filter made your engine burn oil, you way smarter than anyone on here

Old 11-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
4 out of 5 of the Fram models levels offered do not even have a drain back valve to begin with. Only the 13$ filter has one
What on earth are you talking about? All FRAM filters have a antidrainback valve if the factory filter has one. You are way off base

Old 11-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by arubba
I agree with Dynotech as they are just giving you a lot of BS.... Warranty is warranty and they will be paid for any services provided. Post the name of the Ford Stalership that is giving you a hard time and ask everyone to stay away. True that the Fram does not have anti-drain valve but for the few seconds at start-up, it is not the root of your problem....
No, not true. If the OE filter on any car has a antidrainback valve, the replacement FRAM filter will have one as well. Where are you getting this information?

Old 11-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by bobkyle2
x2 glc....i really hope this guy responds
ive really not been a fram guy for awhile now...i put one on my 95 grand marquis... when i was like 16 and when i started it ..no oil pressure...and then it blew off the car... will never buy another i would make my own before i used another one on anything ...
You cant be serious, or just joining the slam fram bandwagon? What happened to make it "blow off"? When you installed it, it was tight correct? What was the failure mode?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I think some are confusing the failure of the anti drainback valve with having no valve at all. There have been several cases of members have noise at crankup and after removing the Fram and replacing it with the suggested Motorcraft, the noise went away. The expalnation I saw was that the Fram valve was cardboard and would fail, as opposed to a filter with a plastic valve. I think this is where the bad reputation for Fram filters came about.

There was also a study done a few years ago where someone cut open filters and compared them and possibly tested them in a lab. This study has been posted a few times, and as I recall, Fram did not fare well.

I have not read back all of the postings, so I may be repeating info. I apologize if that is the case. Your calm demeanor in answering the critizims is appreciated.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Jay, with the info we have here, I think you may NEED to try to promote Fram, and I don't blame you for doing so. As long as all of us can remain polite and respectful, we should continue this discussion. I think you, as tech director, need to get with your marketing folks and engineers and see what you can do to take care of the issues that have already been pointed out. Discrediting that guy on that Mopar site is not taking care of the issues. I'm not an engineer, I'm not a bean counter, but I'll stick my neck out and suggest that your standard orange oil filters need to be redesigned. Why don't Wix, Purolator, Motorcraft, etc. filters have the same issues? I know you guys know how to make a decent filter - but the standard orange one appears to have its problems.
I really do not find many of the posters here polite and respectfull. Making posts that say FRAM cuased their truck to burn two quarts of oil in 3 weeks? Or the other guy who says the filter blew off his car? How can you make statements like that without showing the details? We make 50 million of those orange filters a year. We warranty them to be free of defects. Our warranty claims do not show the same results as what you would read on the internet. If some would say that FRAM blew up their engine but they didnt want to make a claim, I find that hard to believe as well. Nobody is willing to just eat the cost of an engine replacement. It seems that anyone can say whatever they want no matter how ludicris the statement, and they are not set straight by the more knowledgeable on here. Yet, if I say anything, I get slammed. Think about this, if we made 50 million "defective" filters a year, you would be hearing about class action lawsuits and the demise of FRAM. I will not sit here and denigrate our competitors, I could if I wanted to but Honeywell has code of conduct standards. Think about this- What is WIX "claim to fame"? Cutting open thier filters and ours and saying- Look, they have paper end caps. They never say the end cap is a structural element of the filter, they never say how much dirt their filter traps compared to ours. You will soon see an end to this practice by them and you will need to cut open a WIX or NAPA filter made in the last month to see why.
I give up, like I stated before, I am not here to jump up and down and say "buy fram, buy fram". I got on here to help a guy who may be denied a warranty claim by a mis-informed service manager, nothing more.
Have a great day.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:14 AM
O.k. I'm really kind of surprised at the number of members that seem to be anti fram on the site. Personally I've been using fram filters since about the stone age, well not really but quite some time, and have never had an issue? The vehicles have varied greatly along the way as well, from a 66 GMC with the 258 inline 6, a 72 Chevy with a 402BB, Toyota 22r and a toyota 22re, AMC 304 that was built to around 600 RWHP, ford explorer, Suzuki Grand Vitara, Ford Focus, my 98 f150, and many more along the way. and I dont think I have ever had an oil filter issue among any of them. Oh that 66 GMC is still a running driving truck with the original engine, never been opened other than to adjust the valves. Close to 500,000 miles. so if a fram filters where crap wouldn't you think it would have showed by now. I think Fram filters are fine and wouldn't hesitate to use one, I think Oil is a much more critical choice, and can only recommend using the best oil you can possibly afford. I always buy the top of the line fram as well.

Everyone keeps slamming fram and praising Motorcraft, but how many of you would agree that ford has messed up big with the "triton" series? from spark plug issues to cam phasers, seriously read through all the tsb's. theirs almost nothing in the truck not covered at some point. So you trust Ford to build a good engine in which you deem built to your standards? Which would mean that when you all post saying Ford built shoddy crap and knew it and still marketed it, do you still trust MC? And we all trust what a dealer tells us?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by ridinmudddy
definitly stay away from fram filters. i put one on my truck awhile back and my truck burned almost 2 quarts of oil in 3 weeks somehow. i had no idea why it was doing it so i called the service manager at ford and he said he has heard of that happening when you dont use a motocraft filter. after that im just sticking with nothing but motocraft in my truck
Your kidding right? I would love to hear your (or the service managers) technical explanation of how a oil filter can cause an engine to burn oil. Thanks for jumping on the bandwagon with an absurd statement.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Please show all of us the proof of what you are saying. The denied warranty claims, the pictures of the damage. The claim number when the truck owner called FRAM and made the claim.
BTW- There are mnay filters on the market that use Fiber end caps. I guess all of them are bad as well? Please show me the proof of what you are saying. Ford has had issues with cam phasers, see the TSB I posted, its well known.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by shockey
O.k. I'm really kind of surprised at the number of members that seem to be anti fram on the site. Personally I've been using fram filters since about the stone age, well not really but quite some time, and have never had an issue? The vehicles have varied greatly along the way as well, from a 66 GMC with the 258 inline 6, a 72 Chevy with a 402BB, Toyota 22r and a toyota 22re, AMC 304 that was built to around 600 RWHP, ford explorer, Suzuki Grand Vitara, Ford Focus, my 98 f150, and many more along the way. and I dont think I have ever had an oil filter issue among any of them. Oh that 66 GMC is still a running driving truck with the original engine, never been opened other than to adjust the valves. Close to 500,000 miles. so if a fram filters where crap wouldn't you think it would have showed by now. I think Fram filters are fine and wouldn't hesitate to use one, I think Oil is a much more critical choice, and can only recommend using the best oil you can possibly afford. I always buy the top of the line fram as well.

Everyone keeps slamming fram and praising Motorcraft, but how many of you would agree that ford has messed up big with the "triton" series? from spark plug issues to cam phasers, seriously read through all the tsb's. theirs almost nothing in the truck not covered at some point. So you trust Ford to build a good engine in which you deem built to your standards? Which would mean that when you all post saying Ford built shoddy crap and knew it and still marketed it, do you still trust MC? And we all trust what a dealer tells us?
I work for Autolite as well, want to talk about Hi Thread spark plugs? We make them, MC brand and Autolite brand. There is a way to remove them and never break one, happy to share.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Motorking, stop replying to the same posts multiple times. We have already agreed that a filter in no way, shape or form will cause your engine to burn oil nor will they fly apart.
There are trolls on every forum and it is unfortunate.

If you could, why not show us test results on the filter for the F150 5.4 liter engine only. We do not care about Honda, Toyota or anyone else. Compare the Motorcraft which I believe has been made by Purolator and Champion over the years. Explain the start up noise issue that people have with a Fram filter that goes away when the offending Fram filter is removed. If you can just focus on what the truck guys here want to know you will get more cooperation than if you spam the board with the same replies 5 times.
I used Fram on my old Dodge Omni all the time and never had any troubles but there have been far too many reports of issues on the F150 with the Fram so I chose not to use them. Also I have little faith in a company that thinks filling a filter with teflon (like Slick 50) actually works when Dupont themselves state it will not. The engine does not get hot enough to melt or soften the PTFE to make any use of it.

Quick Reply: Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter