Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First off, I never once said a filter could not void a warranty. Please quote where I did. Without looking, any reference I made to Fram and warranty was the fact that Ford could not rightfully void a warranty for the simple fact of using a Fram filter.
Second, your little bulletin says absolutely nothing about MC filters being the only filter on the market to meet Ford specs. There's no way that's true. I can question you as good as the next guy for making such a statement. That's one of those statements that if you're gonna make on here, you should provide some background/paperwork/proof. That bulletin does not accomplish this. I personally would consider that something substantial enough to be published with ready access to the public.

Last edited by Galaxy; 11-23-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An SSM is a special service message available only to a Ford Tech, most are released before a TSB is released or superseeded by a new TSB, some stay in SSM form and are not released to the public. As the SSM states it is not hard to determine weather damage has been cause by an aftermarket filter. According to Ford any filter that doesnt say motorcraft on it is considerd AFTERMARKET. Its their rule I dont question it. As far as I know most motorcraft filters are made by Purolater. That does not mean it is the same as a purolator filter..For example most new Fords spark plugs are manufactured by autolite BUT autolite branded plugs do not meet Fords standards. Could be different proccess/materials who knows! Make sence?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
First off, I never once said a filter could not void a warranty. Please quote where I did. Second, your little bulletin says absolutely nothing about MC filters being the only filter on the market to meet Ford specs. There's no way that's true. I can question you as good as the next guy for making such a statement. That's one of those statements that if you're gonna make on here, you should provide some background. That bulletin does not accomplish this.
oh my..and what would i benifit from lieing to you? The SSM clearly states any damaged cause by aftermarket oil filters is not coverd under warranty. I may not have evidence to back up my claim of only motocraft filters meeting their specs..and honestly i could care less. I provided info that i know to be true believe me or not doesnt bother me

Old 11-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Dude, you're hung up on the warranty bit and I didn't question you on that. Let it go. I never accused you of lieing about the warranty bit. My statement was about the Ford only specs! OK, maybe 'stupid' was not the best word to use, I'll apologize for that, sincerely. But yea...not convinced...not even a little. I mean that's just toooo broad of a statement to make. You might as well say you can only use MC oil, or Ford shocks, or OE brand tires, or any other part. Just doesn't even make sense.

I am also not trying to tie the filter (or any other part) back to a warranty claim. Yes, we know if proven, any added or changed, or altered aftermarket part can void a warranty. That's not the issue here. I am not calling you out on that subject matter.

Last edited by Galaxy; 11-23-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:21 PM
This has been a very informative thread! Thanks to those in the industry as well as those with personal accounts. While there may be disagreement, at least information is out there for the consumer to make better decisions. I've always been a purchaser of Fram filters, and without any disrespect to the Fram rep who posted, I do have to say that it wasn't the best choice of Fram to use cardboard end caps when most of the competition appears to use better quality materials...i.e. steel. Unless that information can be discredited, I won't be buying any more Fram filters.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:40 PM
well i cant back it up...its not written, there is no document saying only Motorcraft meets there specs. But engineers from tech hotline are a good enough reference for me. I woulod not lie, i have nothing to gain from it, take it as you will. Bottom line is while your truck is on warranty run a motorcraft filter, when warranty is over run whatever you want.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Many filters meet Fords specs not just Motorcraft. Some even exceed the specifications. Maybe in Canada they can void your warranty on brand but in the US we are protected by the Magnuson Moss warranty act which states that if the manufacturer (Ford) insists that you only can use their (Motorcraft) filters to maintain your warranty they (Ford) have to provide them for free. They would also have to prove the aftermarket filter caused the problem and it would have to stand up in court.

What if the Motorcraft filter failed?

Last edited by Norm; 11-23-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Simple test,change the oil, put a MC filter in and see if the noise goes away...

Old 11-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Norm
Many filters meet Fords specs not just Motorcraft. Some even exceed the specifications. Maybe in Canada they can void your warranty on brand but in the US we are protected by the Magnuson Moss warranty act which states that if the manufacturer (Ford) insists that you only can use their (Motorcraft) filters to maintain your warranty they (Ford) have to provide them for free. They would also have to prove the aftermarket filter caused the problem and it would have to stand up in court.

What if the Motorcraft filter failed?
Ford is not stupid, which is why there is no documentation saying you must use their filter. But SSMs and such like what i have posted above protect them when you choose not too and have related failures...if a motocraft filter failed it would be warranty...

Old 11-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
So who here has the Ford oil filter specs that everybody wants to compare filters to? The last I had heard was that it must filter at 40 microns absolute. Even El Cheapo no-name filters can do that. Fram, at last I had on them, was 15 microns at 95%- kindly correct me if I'm wrong MotorKing. Purolator claims 10 microns at 95% and I would assume that Motorcraft is right there with it. So just how much filtration do you you need- do any of you have a clue? NOT a smart a$$ remark but a serious question.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:37 PM
That SSM does not protect them at all. They still have to prove the engine failure was caused by the filter regardless of who made it. Why not just screw a Motorcraft filter on your broken engine before you take it in and say you just changed the oil and it failed?
See what I am saying? There is more to voiding a warranty than just the label on the filter.
If an aftermarket filter meets or exceeds Ford Specs they cannot void the warranty on the fact that it is aftermarket alone. Warranty laws favor the consumer not the manufacturer.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
So who here has the Ford oil filter specs that everybody wants to compare filters to? The last I had heard was that it must filter at 40 microns absolute. Even El Cheapo no-name filters can do that. Fram, at last I had on them, was 15 microns at 95%- kindly correct me if I'm wrong MotorKing. Purolator claims 10 microns at 95% and I would assume that Motorcraft is right there with it. So just how much filtration do you you need- do any of you have a clue? NOT a smart a$$ remark but a serious question.
I believe the standard Motorcraft was 80% at 20 micron. The racing one was better but I am not sure if those are the current specs.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
SSMs and such like what i have posted above protect them when you choose not too and have related failures...if a motocraft filter failed it would be warranty...

SSM's, tech bulletins, and other "in house", or not released to the public documents, like you mentioned they were, do not protect Ford. They must be public accessible documents made readily available to the consumer to legally accomplish that, and you yourself said these are not. You can't have an internal document to protect the manufacturer. That would be like "keeping a dirty little secret". Kinda like saying speeding or murder is illegal, but only the police know the laws.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:13 PM
well you should phone Ford and tell them they are wrong then...i didnt write it any aftermarket part prooven to cause a failure voids warranty. Period. You guys have said this yourselves. Then I post an SSM stating exactly that and you argue it? Give me a break...

Sure an aftermarket filter may filter the same...thats not the issue here. The issue stated in the SSM is about aftermarket filters that are known to fall apart and plug oil galleries. If they could im sure they would write fram all over that SSM.

This SSM is one im sure will become a TSB, there have been TSBs about aftermarket filters before.

Last edited by Paralyzer; 11-23-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm
I believe the standard Motorcraft was 80% at 20 micron. The racing one was better but I am not sure if those are the current specs.
Norm- where do you obtain this information?

Quick Reply: Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter