Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter

I have an 05 f150 with a 5.4. I have noticed a loud knocking noise coming from the engine. I took it to the dealer and they charged be $85 to "fix" it by tightening a loose air inlet tube. The knocking never went away. To say the least I was not happy. I took it back and after talking to the manager, they looked at my truck and found that the knocking was more serious (DUH). so after discussing the issue, they said that the Fram oil filter could be causing the knocking and that it was not covered under warranty. my truck has 59k miles and has the extended warranty through ford. they can tear into it and apparently determine if the fram oil filter caused it but if it did, then the warranty doesnt cover it. any ideas what to do or say? I am very pissed off at ford and it really makes me wonder what dealers are always out to get you... thanks

Old 11-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put a MotorCraft FL-820S on it, my dad has an 07 with a 5.4 and he used Fram oil filters and it always knocked and ticked when he'd first start it up. I put a MotorCraft on it and it hasn't done it since. A lot of guys on here say they have the same problem with Fram because it doesn't have anti-drain valve like MotorCraft.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I would tear off the fram, and stick a motorcraft pos on it, then take it to another dealer. I seriously doubt the fram caused the (knock). after you remove the fram take a pair of tin snips and cut it in half and take a look at the filter element inside the body. If your bearings are shot the filter will most likely be coated in fine metal particles. which of course impeeds oil flow. and the dealer, if they do this, will clean off the element then more than likely feed you some B.S. about how Fram oil filters dont allow oil to pass through the element to "Ford" specs. On the other hand if you remove it and their isn't metal particles lodged in the filter, this should tell you that its faulty manufactering. some pics of what it looks like would be nice. One more thought the stealership that your taking it to whats their rating? Best of luck.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Have them show you that if you use a orange can of death on your truck it will void the warranty. We all know its not the best filter to use by any means, but no where does it say you cant use it. It sounds as if you might have to get a little more assertive with them.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 PM
yeah I am going to put the motorcraft filter on in and see if that helps. If it still makes the knocking, I will take it to a different dealership. Seems the dealership will try to find any reason to get out of fixing an issue. They do not like us diy people who do our own oil changes.. they want our money for them to do it for us... hopefully the issue will get resolved. thanks for all the replies!!

Old 11-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
It's a well known fact that the Fram filters can cause a knock on start up. They anti drain back valve fails and there is no oil on start up. The knock goes away after a few seconds as oil moves to the top of the engine. If this is the type noise you here, then changing the filter should fix it. Just use the advanced search, enter "Fram", and you will find a lot of discussion.

If it is a continual knock, has there been any mention that it might be the cam phasers?

Last edited by Bluejay; 11-11-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:06 PM
they are still avaiable

Old 11-11-2009, 09:17 PM
the knocking is constant. it does not go away after startup. anytime the truck is idling i can hear it very clearly in the cab.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cam phasers.. The 3v is ultra oil and oil filter sensitive.. Get a motorcraft filter and take it to another dealer. Dont ever use a fram filter again. They are probably right. The fram filter caused the damage. I dont think they can deny you for that but they are right all the same..

Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Is this issue with fram filters an issue in the later model trucks only?...I've been using Fram filters for 15 years and have never developed engine problems in any vehicles.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jethat
Cam phasers.. The 3v is ultra oil and oil filter sensitive.. Get a motorcraft filter and take it to another dealer. Dont ever use a fram filter again. They are probably right. The fram filter caused the damage. I dont think they can deny you for that but they are right all the same..
x2, the crap fram probably did the damage, and for you saying filters are the same. they arent, you who use fram oil, air, and fuel filters are probably the same who use bosch spark plugs

Old 11-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by linusb212
Is this issue with fram filters an issue in the later model trucks only?...I've been using Fram filters for 15 years and have never developed engine problems in any vehicles.
modulars im pretty sure. my elders have used fram on EVERYTHING of course, that and quaker state/pennzoil

Old 11-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by f150fella08
x2, the crap fram probably did the damage, and for you saying filters are the same. they arent, you who use fram oil, air, and fuel filters are probably the same who use bosch spark plugs
can you expand this opinion? i am curious the issues with fram and bosch. i dont use either but i was wondering why "I" shouldnt use them?

Old 11-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by mixedbreed
can you expand this opinion? i am curious the issues with fram and bosch. i dont use either but i was wondering why "I" shouldnt use them?
fram sucks
bosch sucks

ive read the cone air filters break apart allowing "nasties" into the motor, causing damage. the oil filters, read above threads

bosch plugs :thanks brew :

fall apart in the motor causing major damage, theres a thread where someone used bosch plugs and it costed him a engine

your truck, do whatcha want

Old 11-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bull. Tell them you want it fixed under the warranty agreement or you will get an attorney. They can no more dictate what filter you use than they can what brand oil you use. Tell them you want to see where it states ONLY to use a Motorcraft filter or the warranty is void. They are making an assumption based on no proof and they can not prove it either. These dealers used to fry my ***. If they won't work with you then you can always take it to another dealer that will fix it. There is a hotline that you can also call and complain to. If they still won't work on it paint lemons on the truck and drive through their lot all day long. Trust me you will get action then. Don't be intimidated by these guys you have rights. I suspect it may be a rod bearing from you discription. Maybe a phaser, but regardless its under your extended warranty. Good luck !!

Quick Reply: Dealership blaming noise on Fram Oil Filter