Timing chain cover replacment

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010 | 03:03 AM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain cover replacment

So today my idler pully seized and snapped my
belt. After driving overheated truck home to find that my idler pully was pretty much jammed into my timing chain cover. Obviously I need to replace it
cuz it's leaking oil everywhere. First off what all do I need to replace it (gaskets etc.) and how long is it gonna take me?

Old 04-01-2010 | 07:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well first you need to get a new or used front cover and gaskets for your engine. Remove the fan and shroud,waterpump pulley, damper using a damper puller, powersteering pump, both cam covers, all front cover bolts and the 4 bolts that hold the cover at the front of the oil pan. Anything else thats in the way, the A/C pump can stay. After ALL bolts are removed take a putty knife/screwdriver and pry the front cover off. If it won't move then there is still a bolt somewhere holding it on. Reinstall the replacment in the reverse. Just make sure that you apply a dab of black automotive RTV at the 4 front cover ''T' joints,a dab each at the two cover too oil pan junctions and at the two front cover too block cam cover joints on each cam cover (4 total). Total of 10 dabs combined. For those of us that have done it before probably an hour and a half removal and same for reassembly (my mistake). Tools: A three bolt damper puller,18 mm x1/2 impact socket, 13 mm deepwell x 3/8, 10mm deepwell x3/8, 15mm deep x3/8, 1/2" long handle breaker bar to reinstall belt,8mm socket, large creasent wrench for fan, 3/8 ratchet and various extensions, RTV, a 90deg 3/8 air ratchet works great. I think the toughest part IMO is getting the powersteering pump off and back on. Good luck

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 04-01-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2010 | 10:47 AM
|
Wow that's awesome. Il take that over buying a service manual any day! Thanks man I think u saved me alotbof trial and error.

Old 04-01-2010 | 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by f150greg
So today my idler pully seized and snapped my
belt. After driving overheated truck home to find that my idler pully was pretty much jammed into my timing chain cover. Obviously I need to replace it
cuz it's leaking oil everywhere. First off what all do I need to replace it (gaskets etc.) and how long is it gonna take me?
Thats some serious breakage for it to damage the timing cover.

Old 04-01-2010 | 12:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by f150greg
Wow that's awesome. Il take that over buying a service manual any day! Thanks man I think u saved me alotbof trial and error.
you would be wise to pony up the $10 for a Haynes or Chilton book.. The power steering pump is a major PITA you gotta take the pulley off... Bolts are about as hard to get to as they come. Next to impossible but doable..

Old 04-01-2010 | 12:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking JB Weld. There is no pressure involved.........

Old 04-01-2010 | 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by jethat
you would be wise to pony up the $10 for a Haynes or Chilton book.. The power steering pump is a major PITA you gotta take the pulley off... Bolts are about as hard to get to as they come. Next to impossible but doable..
I usually loosen all the p/s bolts and then use a die grinder to cut the head off the bolt thats directly behind the inlet hose. I have never removed the pulley. Then I reinstall the pump using only three bolts don't replace the one you cut the head off of. The pump only needs three bolts, on later engines the fourth was ommited. That fourth bolt was usually the biggest pain in the ***. It's best to remove the pump from below using extensions. You are right though jethat a puller would probably be the easiest for the p/s pulley. The hard part then is getting the pulley back on IMO.

I guess you could try JB but personally I hate to use stuff like that. If the hole in the front cover goes all the way thru then you risk having the material fall into the oil pan behind the cover. It can then block off the oil pickup screen causing bigger problems. Also not sure where his is broken but there is a lot of force on the pulleys and especially the belt tensioner. I'm not sure that JB can handle that type of stress if its a high load area.I could wrong though. JMO.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 04-01-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2010 | 03:05 PM
I JB welded a hole in an oil pan in a Camaro I had about 15 years ago. Nearly had to pull the engine in that car to get the pan off. It was my wifes car she high centered the thing on a median island.. Worked great until I sold it and the guy I sold it to drove it into the ground JB weld never failed.. If it were me if JB weld would seal it I'd do it.

Old 04-01-2010 | 05:26 PM

I have heard good things about it. I never have used it because I can't even get epoxy to hold plastic together so I know I'd screw up with the JB weld LOL. Anythings worth a try at least once I guess.

Old 04-01-2010 | 05:40 PM
the trick is getting the surface clean. If you get it clean it will hold. If you dont it wont..

Old 04-01-2010 | 06:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd worry about it to much. I've used it on other stuff here and there and I know prepping before hand is most important. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I guess it depends on de sitiiaation whether I give a go or not. I haven't used it on an engine tho.

Old 04-01-2010 | 06:54 PM
Knowing jethat , he probably poured into the crankcase on that Camaro

Old 04-01-2010 | 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by jbrew
I'd worry about it to much. I've used it on other stuff here and there and I know prepping before hand is most important. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I guess it depends on de sitiiaation whether I give a go or not. I haven't used it on an engine tho.
Thats how I would be as well it would be on my mind constantly. I can see me flying down I-75 about 2:00 in the morning and have the **** fall off...

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 04-01-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2010 | 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Thats how I would be as well it would be on my mind constantly. I can see me flying down I-75 about 2:00 in the morning and have the **** fall off...
Right, my luck would be ,- what's that smell? Then from rear view mirror, -where's that smoke coming from, - I'm on fire!! And who knows, -I might have the wipers smudging up the windshield by then

Old 04-01-2010 | 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by jbrew
Right, my luck would be ,- what's that smell? Then from rear view mirror, -where's that smoke coming from, - I'm on fire!! And who knows, -I might have the wipers smudging up the windshield by then

Quick Reply: Timing chain cover replacment