4.6 vs 5.4 L both v8

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2002Greymason
yea man thanks alot. that does make sense. and yea he told me that he was getting 21 mpg's and told me if i had a 4.6 i could do the same thing if i dont get on the gas. but i do have to ask you this, which would you rather have?
I would rather have the 4.6L 2V. Unfortunately, Ford doesn't offer many F-150's that still use the old 2V. For this reason, in a new truck, I'd have to say 4.6L 3V.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abrink
I would rather have the 4.6L 2V. Unfortunately, Ford doesn't offer many F-150's that still use the old 2V. For this reason, in a new truck, I'd have to say 4.6L 3V.
Yea. Is there a specific reason why you would choose the 4.6 over the 5.4?

Old 06-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
Neither. I really want one of those new 5.0's or 6.2's.
any specific reason? i know the new raptors have the 6.2

Old 06-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Micheal
Don't worry your not hurting anyones feelings by asking your questions. Some people around here like stirring the pot for no good reason.
true that haha

Old 06-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
any specific reason? i know the new raptors have the 6.2
A lot more power from both the 5.0 and 6.2.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea. Is there a specific reason why you would choose the 4.6 over the 5.4?
I just tend to trust it a bit more. The 5.4 is probably just as trustworthy, but I just tend to think the 4.6 is more reliable. Think about this: The 4.6L engine is what they use in taxis and police cars. Police cars are constantly idling, accelerating from a dead stop (high RPMs), and just put under a lot of stress and abuse so they have to be tough.

To be completely honest, I also favor the 4.6 over the 5.4 because I like being different! Besides, if you know how to work on your engine you'll get just as much out of it as the 5.4 (but I must admit the 5.4 still has the more potential.) If you pull up to a guy with a 5.4 at a stop light and beat him to the next light with your 4.6, you'll feel twice as good!

Old 06-12-2010, 01:44 PM
A lot more power from both the 5.0 and 6.2.
yea true that. that would make sense, but arent they getting rid of the 5.4 and the 4.6 for those? i heard that from someone saying that the 5.4 is no longer being made its the 6.2 now and same with the 4.6 which is the 5.0.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I just tend to trust it a bit more. The 5.4 is probably just as trustworthy, but I just tend to think the 4.6 is more reliable. Think about this: The 4.6L engine is what they use in taxis and police cars. Police cars are constantly idling, accelerating from a dead stop (high RPMs), and just put under a lot of stress and abuse so they have to be tough.

To be completely honest, I also favor the 4.6 over the 5.4 because I like being different! Besides, if you know how to work on your engine you'll get just as much out of it as the 5.4 (but I must admit the 5.4 still has the more potential.) If you pull up to a guy with a 5.4 at a stop light and beat him to the next light with your 4.6, you'll feel twice as good!
you know, i never put it that way. that is a fact about that haha. yea i have a 5.4 but i have just heard some stuff about the 4.6 thats why im trying to see what the major difference is. but that puts a whole new perspective on it. and yea my buddy said that if i get a chip for a 4.6 it will beat out any 5.4(stocks). But that does make alot of sense the strees and constanly idling. you know they have to be good motors.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The 5four is a better motor all around, - hands down. If you new the engines well enough, you would have surely came to that conclusion.

Put 5000 lbs on a trailer behind a 4six and 5four. Now race em. - That's the difference,- half throttle will beat the 4six @ WFO. The purpose of the 5four to begin with. - It's not a taxi cab or a cop car, -it a worker and does it with ease, one that will last along time if you take care of her.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
The 5four is a better motor all around, - hands down. If you new the engines well enough, you would have surely came to that conclusion.
That's a mighty bold statement pilgrim.

The 5.4 doesn't get the same MPG's as the 4.6. I would go as far to say that the 2 valve 4.6 is more reliable than the 2 valve 5.4 due to the 5.4 having such a long stroke while the 4.6's being nearly square.

As long as you're talking about performance, then yes, the 5.4 is the best all around.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:43 PM

Put 5000 lbs on a trailer behind a 4six and 5four. Now race em. - That's the difference,- half throttle will beat the 4six @ WFO. The purpose of the 5four to begin with. - It's not a taxi cab or a cop car, -it a worker and does it with ease, one that will last along time if you take care of her.
Absolutely jbrew! Cant kill a 5.4.... Just turned 260k on old faithful today and cant bring myself to get rid of her...Been way to good to me...She's towed more and had more in the bed than a 150 EVER should have, and not one engine or tranny prob! plus it helps that i just installed a new pair of westin stainless steps and a gibson supertruck catback kit...

Old 06-12-2010, 06:03 PM

That's a mighty bold statement pilgrim.

The 5.4 doesn't get the same MPG's as the 4.6. I would go as far to say that the 2 valve 4.6 is more reliable than the 2 valve 5.4 due to the 5.4 having such a long stroke while the 4.6's being nearly square.

As long as you're talking about performance, then yes, the 5.4 is the best all around.
Hell , my 98 5four had better mpg's than my daughters 98 4two lol. Driven normally, the 5.4L and 4.6L can get identical mileage, give or take very little.

The only significant difference depends on who's working the go pedal or when demanding power from the two engines. With the 4six, you'll get what it has. With the 5four you'll it what it has, but with that low end torque and power difference that 5four has over the 4six, - sure, it takes more fuel when called upon.

Driven normally, the 5.4L takes much less effort to go with the flow than the 4six, there isn't much difference at all as far as Mpg's.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by mrinaldi
Absolutely jbrew! Cant kill a 5.4.... Just turned 260k on old faithful today and cant bring myself to get rid of her...Been way to good to me...She's towed more and had more in the bed than a 150 EVER should have, and not one engine or tranny prob! plus it helps that i just installed a new pair of westin stainless steps and a gibson supertruck catback kit...
Mines the same way, @ 272,000 miles. I worked the hell out it for years, - it's always pulled it's weight. I guess the most surprising is that it has NEVER used oil or leaked it. The engines never ticked or made other noises, - it's still just as solid as day one, - or better. I think it's finally broke in.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:36 PM

yea true that about more power but my friend can hull a 21 foot boat behind a 4.6L. and if I hull anything, im not hullin anything bigger than that. the most i pull is a little trailer with 2 fourwheelers on it. and i have a 5.4 and yea its a good truck and i know it will last long it has over 100,000 miles on it. but it is a gas guzzler and a 4.6 gets a little bit better mpg's

Old 06-12-2010, 09:09 PM

yea true that about more power but my friend can hull a 21 foot boat behind a 4.6L. and if I hull anything, im not hullin anything bigger than that. the most i pull is a little trailer with 2 fourwheelers on it. and i have a 5.4 and yea its a good truck and i know it will last long it has over 100,000 miles on it. but it is a gas guzzler and a 4.6 gets a little bit better mpg's
Well, their both Gas Guzzlers to NowADay's standards lol. You don't purchase a truck for their economy. Just know, if everything is up to par on maintenance with the two different engines, you'll net the same Mpg's give or take (a little).

To get a 5.4L in your truck when ordering new, it cost a little bit more and as far as residue value, - yes it's worth a little bit more. You can't take away economy from the 5.4L over the 4.6L because it just doesn't exist, not under normal/average operating drive cycles.

With the 5four, it's just there, - there when need it. You don't think twice about when it has to preform. That's the extra you get and sure, it will like the fuel then, -it's a give and take. Make sense?

Quick Reply: 4.6 vs 5.4 L both v8