Oil filter..oh noooooooooooo!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010 | 08:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take mine out from the front, underneath using a band style wrench. I come up from under the chin spoiler. With a pc. of cardboard on the driveway in case a gust of wind blows the oil, The catch pan is just about under the front dif. when I take the filter off . If the filter isnt overtightened at installation it is sometimes possible to take it off with just your hands. I'll admit it is a little more difficult now that I lowered the truck, I cant roll under on a creaper anymore.

Old 09-07-2010 | 09:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I have seen filters on so tight the cup filter would remove it or the band wrench.

I do remember one time having to change oil on a older grand am 3.1L that was changed before by the local quick change.

It was on so tight I ended up driving a screwdriver through it and using that to take it off, nothing worked, the cup rounded off and the band wrenches I had did not give me enough leverage or slipped.

After that I am pretty sure I did the oil changes on that car until we shut that garage down and moved to the other side of town to a better location.

On a unrelated note, one of my friends see my first car not to long ago. that car went through hell, no cat, different weight oil every change, KN oil filters, mobile 1 full syn, to what ever was on sale and back.

The typical first car crap. It made it to 140K before I sold it, it sat two years stripped of all but front seats, and now its back on the road. Poor car, that grand am was hardcore.

I have no clue what happened to my old mustang (00 pony pack) It was wrecked 6 times before I got, and totaled twice, I wrecked it once and totaled it once and traded it in on my truck.

Car was bad luck.

Old 09-07-2010 | 10:56 AM
The first oil change on my 08 f150 I had took them about 15-20mins to get the filter off. The truck was rocking from the guy trying to get it off... Don't know what he needed up using... After that you could just stick your hands up there and put a little azz be hide it and it would come loose.

Taking the new 250 in Friday for a oil change. We'll see how it comes off.

Old 09-07-2010 | 03:47 PM
I have an 07 F150 and this is my first FORD in some time. I love the truck but came across the same issue the first time I changed my oil. Who ever put the filter on must have cranked it a full turn after it stopped and I just could not get in off. Being in a very hard to reach location, I ended up buying another filter wrench with 3 claws that crank down onto the filter as you rotate it. It also helps is the truck motor is a bit warm as things expand. Even it you don't want to change the filter and/or oil when it is hot, use a filter wrench to just loosen it while hot, wait until it cools and then complete your oil change....

Old 09-07-2010 | 04:11 PM
It's almost like they paint them on at the factory, and I'm sure they don't lube the rubber gasket with fresh oil (that would take like 5 seconds, lol).

I think they put them on so hard to increase the chances the dealer gets to perform at least one oil change.

FWIW, if they are really on there, the screwdriver trick might just tear the damn thing up. Then its an even bigger PITA.

There is absolutely no good reason to put a filter on so tight. I snug mine up by hand just enough so that I have to work a little to get it off by hand. Never had a leak at the filter.

Last edited by dirt bike dave; 09-07-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2010 | 08:54 PM
never failed

this technique has never failed.
wrap 2-3 loops of coarse emery cloth around the filter grip tight
give it the strong arm

the strip material sold in the plumbing section of Home depot works best

if you ain't got the guns- well I can't help you

Old 09-07-2010 | 09:47 PM
Truck of the Month
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rglass62
no chit!!!!!!!! the point i am trying to make here is the system is geared to ripping off the public and how we can help avoid that. are you one of them?
Not on an oil change.

Old 09-07-2010 | 10:29 PM
They lose money.

Old 09-07-2010 | 10:49 PM
go to napa and buy the strap wrench works great and fits all kinds of sizes

Old 09-07-2010 | 10:54 PM
Global Moderator &
Received 136 Likes on 113 Posts
I bought a nice heavy duty strap wrench from walmart about 6 years ago when i bought my truck and started doing my own oil changes

Old 09-07-2010 | 11:07 PM
I use something similar to this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02820523000P

I just put along extension on it to loosen the filter, the screw it off by hand. Makes it alot easier...

Old 09-07-2010 | 11:09 PM
Just another reason to buy an old truck with a big *** filter and plenty of room to get at it.

Old 09-07-2010 | 11:15 PM
Global Moderator &
Received 136 Likes on 113 Posts
also i have these at work (Land Rover Dealership), and highly highly recommend them
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...n=1&category=9

it is spring loaded and is designed to tighten its grip as you torque it off. It is used for removal only.

Old 09-07-2010 | 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
also i have these at work (Land Rover Dealership), and highly highly recommend them

it is spring loaded and is designed to tighten its grip as you torque it off. It is used for removal only.
That might work for my PWC aplication. With the help of a flex extension and or a knee joint ratchet. Unless I can recruit the help of some little person wrestler.

Old 09-08-2010 | 04:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw

That's nice Patrick, I haven't seen those yet.

I don't know what's so hard about changing the filters, easiest filter I ever changed -

Quick Reply: Oil filter..oh noooooooooooo!