Oil filter..oh noooooooooooo!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010 | 07:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just go to autozone and buy an oil filter wrench or similar tool. theyre cheap. i've got like 4 different tools for different styles and difficult locations of oil filters.

Old 10-02-2010 | 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by danjkelly
The dealership uses a fancy oil filter wrench from Snap On
Because it is under exhaust, the oil filter gasket heats up and binds the filter to the block.

They say it is a booger bear,
Guess I'll track down Snap On
don't need snap-on. try harbor freight. saved you 30 bucks. leave snap-on to people who use tools for a living unless you're made of money.

Old 10-02-2010 | 08:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Harbor freight has those same 3 prong style wrench attachments that someone else listed on here for cheap. Cant beat it.

Old 10-05-2010 | 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use the big pliers style. Gets the filter off in no time every time.

Old 10-06-2010 | 07:46 AM
ACtually I used a strap oil filter wrench while the engine was warm. It took some effort but I got the oil filter off.
Now imagine how tight they put your lug nuts on at the factory?

Old 10-07-2010 | 03:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tradosaurus
ACtually I used a strap oil filter wrench while the engine was warm. It took some effort but I got the oil filter off.
Now imagine how tight they put your lug nuts on at the factory?
Yea, 150 ft lbs of torque. That's what it feels like the filter is put on with, but I almost always change mine cold, so it takes more to get it off. 1st filters I mean. Not only is it put on by a machine, but dry. Bad combination. I have always used a good strap wrench from the top. In 3 new F-150's with the modular, they've always been tight but always came with good steady brute pressure.

Old 10-07-2010 | 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by code58
Yea, 150 ft lbs of torque. That's what it feels like the filter is put on with, but I almost always change mine cold, so it takes more to get it off. 1st filters I mean. Not only is it put on by a machine, but dry. Bad combination. I have always used a good strap wrench from the top. In 3 new F-150's with the modular, they've always been tight but always came with good steady brute pressure.
Actually I checked my lug nuts when I brought my new truck home.

Probably 3 lug nuts had at least 180 ft-lb torque (maybe more).

Old 10-07-2010 | 08:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tradosaurus
Actually I checked my lug nuts when I brought my new truck home.

Probably 3 lug nuts had at least 180 ft-lb torque (maybe more).
Yep. Same here - perhaps it's a shipping thing. In any case, that is one of the items that's supposed to be addressed in the ridiculously inflated Dealer Prep charge.

A new one, I did tear. Had my torque wrench with me - checked 'em right on the lot

MGD

Old 10-25-2010 | 09:16 PM
if you realy dont want to take it in and i understand not wanting to. i have had thi happen once and i just punched an awe through the filter and use it to twist it off worked well for me obveously put something down it makes a mess down side obveously if you still cant get it off then you have more of a problem then you started with just food for thought

Old 10-26-2010 | 04:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigRed89
if you realy dont want to take it in and i understand not wanting to. i have had thi happen once and i just punched an awe through the filter and use it to twist it off worked well for me obveously put something down it makes a mess down side obveously if you still cant get it off then you have more of a problem then you started with just food for thought
There are a # of filter wrenches that would take it off if it were welded on. I stuck a screw driver through the filter on my DIL's Lexus RX because the filter was so tight and difficult to get to that I COULDN'T get it off! Not even with a filter wrench. What a mess! Not only was there oil all over from the holes in the filter, then it started to tear rather then come off and I was really in a pickle. Finally got it off with a big pipe wrench. Never again will I poke a hole in one!

Old 10-26-2010 | 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by code58
There are a # of filter wrenches that would take it off if it were welded on. I stuck a screw driver through the filter on my DIL's Lexus RX because the filter was so tight and difficult to get to that I COULDN'T get it off! Not even with a filter wrench. What a mess! Not only was there oil all over from the holes in the filter, then it started to tear rather then come off and I was really in a pickle. Finally got it off with a big pipe wrench. Never again will I poke a hole in one!
If you attempt to take the oil filter off with the engine warm it will be easier.

Quick Reply: Oil filter..oh noooooooooooo!