Starter keeps spinning

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010 | 10:43 PM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter keeps spinning

ok guys so when i turn my truck on the starter keeps getting power to it when the motor is on...when you just turn the key real fast without starting the truck the starter turns on than off like its suppose to..everything is wired right...could it be a bad ignition switch? some insight would be nice

Old 12-10-2010 | 09:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would take a SWAG that it is the ign switch or the key cylinder holding the start circuit.

Not sure what you mean with turning the key normal vs. real quick. Sounds like the real quick you are not getting it to the point where it is holding up, so the key motions are not the same.

You will need to take the steering wheel column cover off to see what is going on with it.

You are not one of those "lean" on the key in the start position are you ? ( where you put too much pressure in the start position )

Old 12-10-2010 | 11:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What does it take to make it quit? If turning the key back kills it, then it's in the ig.sw. or lock cylinder. If not, either the starter solenoid or starter relay (if your truck has one) terminals are welding themselves together, keeping the starter powered.

. .

Old 12-10-2010 | 01:10 PM
|
i am not a lean on the key guy i turn the key til it starts and let it go ...when u turn the truck on you can hear the starter staying on..the starter is brand new and its an 01 f150...what i mean when i say turn the key real fast you turn the key til it cranks alittle and let off the key without starting the truck...if u do that the starter does not keep moving only when the motor is one...and btw i swapped in a lightning motor and harness into my truck witch was a 4.2L.. should i go ahead and replace the starter solenoid and the ign switch

Old 12-10-2010 | 02:39 PM
|
got it to stop thanks guys i got a new starter solenoid

Quick Reply: Starter keeps spinning