backfire with truck... Im at a loss with the dealership!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Ford changed the spark plug life estimate to 60k due to the breakage issue......

Get the dtc obdll codes and post them up....it will give me and some of the others a better insight to which is going on.....

It either timing or fueling???

Take care

Old 10-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarajerame
as posted previously (just keeping everyone in the loop on this forum)
and here was my reply over on Fordf150.net.

1) I DO want to solve the problem with the truck, however, it should be fixed by the dealership since they were the place I brought it to get fixed.

2) How is the dealer taking care of me by failing to fix the problem? This is the third time now they have said to "fix" the problem and it still has the backfire.

3) I do not think that I asked for help in fixing it. I simply asked.... What would you do?

4) Yes, I paid for the repair. In order to get my keys back, you have to pay for the work done unless it is covered under the warranty. You don't pay, you don't get your keys back. Plain and simple. I have yet to know of a place to give you your keys back to test drive the car only to never come back and screw the place over that fixed your car. Seems like basic business concept to me.

5) Point of my thread is simply, like I said up on response 3..... What would YOU do? Would you talk to the manager, would you just say screw that dealership and go somewhere else, would you call Ford Direct and complain to them? Mainly I am looking for options to see if there is anything that I did not think of.

I honestly do not know why you seem to be stirring the pot. I am just looking for options that I might not have thought to do. Let me ask you this.... if your truck was under warranty, would you buy the parts and fix it yourself when it could have been done for free by a dealership? Personally, if I don't have to spend the money, I'm not going to. That was the whole reason behind purchasing the ESP through Ford when I got the truck. If I wanted to spend money, I could be paying off my mortgage faster, I could buy another antique car and fix it up, I could get more clothes for the new baby in the family, I could take a cruise with my family, etc.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by resq302
For starters, if you bring something somewhere to be repaired, wouldn't you expect it to be fixed? Yes, I am putting this out there because IF for some reason, they don't fix it and FORD refuses to address the issue, I will have to tackle this myself. I do like to know what I am getting into before I go tearing into things. A little research goes a long way. Also, another reason for this post is to find if there are any known issues such as the plugs breaking off in the cyl. heads. I do preventative maintenance on my truck. Things such as air filter, fuel filter, regular 3000 mile oil changes, tire rotation every 6000 miles, etc. So yes, I do get my hands dirty working on my truck as I find it a relaxing hobby. Just like working on my 69 Dodge Charger that I restored back to factory stock.

Regarding the injector issues. I am well aware of that also as I receive a notice from FORD themselves when I had my 2005 F150 FX4 saying that they were going to extend the warranty till 100,000 miles or something like that due to possible faulty injectors. I have yet to receive any form like this from FORD for my current truck.

As for the plugs, aren't they 100,000 mile plugs? If so, there is no need to change them out as maintenance unless there is a problem like with that one cylinder. Granted, they should have changed out all of the plugs as you don't change out one plug on a tune up but thats a whole different issue. Should I be changing out the plugs or at least pulling them and putting anti-seeze on the shaft of them? Probably will in the near future as I have the nickel anti-seeze container already from when I had my 2005 F150 that I ran to 74,000 miles until I needed to get something bigger due to the new baby in the family. So yes, I have been working on cars for the past 25 years as a hobby and doing routine maintenance so I am not your typical backyard mechanic. I even had a mechanic job at a local tire center and if we did not fix the problem with a customers car the first time right, we got in trouble as that was the standards at our shop. If they came back, we had to fix it on our dime.
Ford came back later and stated the plugs needed to be changed at 60,000. Depending on how you drive it, the quality of fuel you use, etc., I would go no more than 70,000, but when you are having an issue where it could be thhe plugs, I would go ahead and change them.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Jerame, he has not posted on this site concerning the problem, that I can find. Let us have the opportunity to help him here. Someone just might have a good idea that has not been put forward on some other site. He just might learn something new as well as some of us might get some benefit from the discussion. Some of us don't go to other sites, so if we don't see it here, we don't see it at all.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Ford changed the spark plug life estimate to 60k due to the breakage issue......

Get the dtc obdll codes and post them up....it will give me and some of the others a better insight to which is going on.....

It either timing or fueling???

Take care
Codes from previous repair orders.

P0316 , P0340, P0344 - that is when they replaced the Camshaft position / cylinder identification sensor / transducer sensor asy 1W7Z*6B288*AB and sensor asy 3L3Z*12B579*BA that was the most recent work order that they started on 9/26

Previous work order from 9/12

P0300, P0316, P0340 - at this time they replaced coil asy part 3L3Z*12029*BA and one spark plug part SP*515*

That is the only codes that I have seem them record on the work orders that I have so far.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Bluejay, thank you for the info about the update regarding the changing of the spark plugs. The last information that I had gotten from Ford when I owned my 2005 F150, it was 100,000 miles. Good to know. Still...... the truck only has 49,000 miles on it. Prior to all of the problems with the knocking and the "lifters" the truck had plenty of power and would chirp the tires at any given time should you give too much throttle. The truck does not seem to have this power that it did previously which is kinda making me think (along with all the metal flake in the oil) that something has to do with the parts they put in with the so called "lifters" or lash adjusters as other people tell me they are called.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:04 PM

Truck has 49,000 miles on it. I just did a fuel filter the beginning of Sept. around 48,000 miles. The plugs in the truck are the original ones from the factory to my knowledge. I got this truck used from this dealership last June and it was running fantastic. In July, I started hearing a knocking noise and they found it to be bad "lifters" as they called it and a cracked pass. side exhaust manifold. Since then, it has been problem after problem with this backfiring. On Sept. 12th, they put a new coil pack in on one of the cyl. and replaced that spark plug for that cylinder. When I questioned why they only replaced the one plug instead of replacing them as a set, they said that Ford would only allow them to replace the one plug that was defective. Yet, when they replaced the "lifters" they replaced them as a set, not just the defective ones.

This most recent time, they had a code for a cam shaft sensor which they changed out and the backfiring was still present, this time now with no codes. According to the advisor, the mechanic was out of ideas and they called Ford to see what to do next. Eventually, they said that the MAF was bad and causing cylinders to "drop out". However, the backfiring is still there even though the mechanic said he "fixed it" because the truck is no longer falling on its face (as he put it) when you floor it on the road when it is cold. It still, however, backfires and stumbles which is the complaint that I had when I brought it in. I never had the issue of it "falling on its face" and bogging or dying like that. It seems like they are clueless as to what to do if there are no codes.

One thing that I did mention to the mechanic was that I did an oil change after they installed the new "lifters" and had a ton of metal flake in the oil. Something which I never had before in the 20,000 plus miles since I've owned the truck. Now is it possible that this metal flake is from something that they did not install correctly or from the new parts wearing in? Anything is to say as I do not want to be pointing fingers since I do not know what the cause of it is. All I know is that the metal flake was not there PRIOR to the "lifter" parts being installed.
Refer to the highlighted bold text.......

That right there should be revisited.......not the manifold but the issue with lifters.

A cam that's not aligned or indexed properly ?

The cam gear is off a tooth?

Just some thoughts......

Also cops and/or injectors, VCT solenoids, cam phaser......

Old 10-07-2011, 12:13 PM
88racing,

That is what my initial thought was when I first started having the problems but I would think that the dealership would have rechecked that. Funny thing is that as soon as the engine reaches normal operating temp, the backfiring goes away so it is a cold related issue.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:32 PM

88racing,

That is what my initial thought was when I first started having the problems but I would think that the dealership would have rechecked that. Funny thing is that as soon as the engine reaches normal operating temp, the backfiring goes away so it is a cold related issue.
That's because the pcm has two different routines it uses for the engine.....there's a cold and a warm......

A cam that's off one way or the other can effect the engine differently between warm and cold or vice versa.....

Old 10-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
88racing,

Well, a manifold crack can easily seal/expand shut, once @ operating temp. Happens quite often if you don't have a good seal. Also, as I said and you seemed to ignore your injector could be compounding the problem. Soaks the cat, cat catches fire and seals the cone shut. That happens as well.

I can't believe you don't have at least a blinking CEL at some point while its acting up.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:46 PM
I would find another dealer. Some of their explanations do not add up.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Well, a manifold crack can easily seal/expand shut, once @ operating temp. Happens quite often if you don't have a good seal. Also, as I said and you seemed to ignore your injector could be compounding the problem. Soaks the cat, cat catches fire and seals the cone shut. That happens as well.

I can't believe you don't have at least a blinking CEL at some point while its acting up.
I did have a blinking engine light back prior to them replacing the coil pack but it only happened at one point. That was the only time it flashed and then came on constantly until they fixed it supposedly.

As for the cat issue, the cat seems no hotter than normal under the truck.

As for the injector, if it was a bad injector and leaking down, wouldn't that cause a hard start issue? The problem is only when you full throttle it. Partial throttle is fine with no issue.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Well, what they said they are going to do next (which I forgot to mention that the mechanic said) was that he seems to think that there is water in the fuel. I highly doubt this as I filled the truck up 3 times since Ive had this issue at different gas stations. Hess, Exxon, and BP. Now this is just my thinking but IF it were water in the fuel, wouldn't it do the same thing even if the engine was warm, and after 3 tanks of gas, wouldn't that rule out any water problems or if there were, wouldn't it get better after running the gas out through 3 tank fulls?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:06 PM

Well, what they said they are going to do next (which I forgot to mention that the mechanic said) was that he seems to think that there is water in the fuel. I highly doubt this as I filled the truck up 3 times since Ive had this issue at different gas stations. Hess, Exxon, and BP. Now this is just my thinking but IF it were water in the fuel, wouldn't it do the same thing even if the engine was warm, and after 3 tanks of gas, wouldn't that rule out any water problems or if there were, wouldn't it get better after running the gas out through 3 tank fulls?
I think if there's water in the gas it would run like crap all the time.......use a bottle of techron in the gas tank and it will help clean up the fuel system....

Something wasn't reassembled correctly when the lifters were replaced.....suggest to them a new head with all new components....if any of the components got buggered or end play wasn't checked on the cam that could explain the metal filings.....

Old 10-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Just got off the phone with the service advisor. He said the mechanic who has been working on my truck took it out for a ride along with another person who had the truck hooked up to their computer and it did not do the back firing. I find this highly unlikely as when I had the mechanic out for the test drive with me yesterday, it did it. Something is certainly not adding up. Conveniently, the service manager is also working parts today by himself and there was a long line at parts when I called and asked to talk to him about it.

Quick Reply: backfire with truck... Im at a loss with the dealership!