backfire with truck... Im at a loss with the dealership!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, I got the truck back. It did not seem to have the backfiring last night although I could not really test it since the roads were wet and I didn't want the back end of the truck sliding around. Also, they did not give me a work order as to what work was performed. Since I picked up the truck after the service dept. was closed, the cashier said that since there was no charge, I wouldn't get a work order. Another load of BS. How and I to know what was replaced and what wasn;t? Im placing a call to them this morning as I want some kind of paperwork saying what was done!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Huh, yea, you should get something. At least a customer concern determination.

BTW, everyone is correct how the cylinders are numbered, but here's another -

--Firewall--

---Front---

Old 10-14-2011, 01:02 PM
That was my point. How if something fails down the road from what they did am I going to know exactly what was done. But when I called them today, they said it would be mailed to me but they had to "figure out" what to put on the work order first. Figure out????? Didn't they fix or work on the truck or at least know what the mechanic was doing to it? Something just doesn't sound right. Are they trying to cover something up and get Ford to pay for it making it look like it was something that was covered under warranty when it was really something that they caused? Is it just me or is anyone else thing something is fishy?

Old 10-14-2011, 01:49 PM

That's very unprofessional. Report them if you must, other than that, getting angry with them probably won't do much good. Sounds like someone was just lazy, -or blew you off.

However, -If the truck IS INDEED fixed, then at least you got that. That was the goal.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
good thing rock solid advicce was ignored from the begining

I wish the truck a good happy life

Old 10-15-2011, 01:10 PM
well, they were asked if a simple tune up at 49,000 miles would possibly fix the problem and they said no, they are 100,000 mile plugs. Again, why should I pay to have a problem fixed when it should be covered under the basic power train warranty or the extended service warranty. I don't have tons of extra money to be throwing around.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by resq302
well, they were asked if a simple tune up at 49,000 miles would possibly fix the problem and they said no, they are 100,000 mile plugs. Again, why should I pay to have a problem fixed when it should be covered under the basic power train warranty or the extended service warranty. I don't have tons of extra money to be throwing around.

at least you got to spend some for no reason, if you had listened in the first place you wouldn't have spent as much

Old 10-15-2011, 01:24 PM
ok, so figure $13 per plug times 8. My math that comes out to be $104 not counting the special 9/16" socket for removing the plugs and not counting the special removal tool should you break a plug off in the head. Also, what if that was NOT the problem. That $100 would have covered many things with my ESP as it is the top of the line one. I still don't know why you are the only one ragging on me. Do you have some personal beef with me? Is your name Carlos the mechanic that has been working on my truck since it was brought in? lol

Old 10-15-2011, 01:34 PM

well, I'm glad I was able to tell you the issue VIA the internet, while your beloved Carlos couldn't do it with the truck in his bay

Old 10-15-2011, 01:45 PM
carlos is NOT my beloved or even friend at this point since he doesn't seem to know what to look for or work on a vehicle. I still can't see how with millions of plugs out there in these engines that one of them could just get a "hairline" crack as they say and would cause all this mess. There has to me more to the story that they aren't telling me.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Now I see why the dealership has problems with you. You don't listen!

Congrats, you made the Ignore List.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:51 AM
So is the problem fixed? Does your truck still backfire?

Is there still metal flakes in your oil? My truck is also a 2007 F150 with the 5.4, I had both cam phasers, lifters, and lash adjusters replaced about 6 months ago and never saw metal in my oil. The best way to diagnose that is to actually cut your oil filter open and inspect the filter, since the oil container you use could have contamination in it already. That seems to be the most concerning issue I have read on this thread, since there should not be enough metal to metal wear on any of those parts to cause metal flakes.

As for the spark plug; as you said millions and millions have been produced increasing the probability of a faulty ones. If the dealership ended up paying for all plugs to be changed I would not complain because spark plugs are not covered under any warranty, especially at 49,000 miles. That's only 11,000 miles less then the recommended changing interval.

I hope the truck is running well now, and you don't have to deal with more problems.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:04 AM
I think I have about another 1500 miles or so to go before my next 3000 mile interval oil change so I do not know about it yet. However, the oil that I was draining out from the filter itself into the catch pan is where I saw the metal flakes coming out in the oil.

As for the whole backfiring thing... that seems to be fixed now as I have had the truck for a week and have had no incidents or problems with it. On a side note, I have YET to receive a copy of the work order from the dealership and that too is now going on over a week!!!!!

Quick Reply: backfire with truck... Im at a loss with the dealership!