Electric fans on at what temp

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you know if it is at 60% or 100%. I don't know if you know the turn on temp, but if this is 10* deg less then the current, they are running at 100%.
SSCulley- I raised the temp control alittle today. I now have it set 197*@60% And 207@100%. Sorry, I can't tell what % when I'm driving. I think it would be at 60% when it stays 197-200*. But I can definitely here the difference when I stand in front of the truck and adjust the controller back and forth.

Also, when the truck is at normal temp and I turn off the truck. The fans stay on for about 5-10 seconds. It does it all the time.

Old 07-31-2002, 12:11 AM
Hello Jupiterak,

I don't have the flex a lites, I went with the performance products kit. The instructions that came with mine said to set the first fan to come on 10 degrees above the thermostat, which is a 192 or 193 stat. That would make the first fan come on at 203 and the second come on at 213.

I am beginning to question my desicion to put in the 180 degree stat. When I first talked to Mike T. at performance he did not seem to think it was such a great idea. After thinking about this I am wondering if I am loosing much H.P. by running mine at 200-205 instead of the 215 that I believe I have seen around the boards.

I am planning a call to Mike tommorrow to discuss a few other mods, I think I will ask him if he has any data from dynos concerning H.P./Temp relationships.

Crap, first I put in the 160 stat thanks to reading some advertising B.S., then I put in the 180 thinking Lightning, now I guess it's time to go back to the stock stat.

I'll pass on what I hear from him.

I think SSCULLY has a good idea starting a thread for these fans, since there seems to be more and more of us getting them.

Rocks

Last edited by Rocks; 07-31-2002 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:41 AM
Rocks, Thanks for the details. The FAL instructions didn't state anything about operating temps. I'll give that a try tomorrow and set it about 202*/212*.
I'm also waiting for my 2 bottles of Redline Water Water so I can change the coolant and I'll probably buy a new heavy duty thermostat while I'm at it.

I do have a question for everyone with electric fans:

I notice my engine compartment is hotter because of the fans sucking hot air from the radiator and towards the engine. I'm starting to think this may hinder perfermance with open air filters kits (aka FIPK's) because of the hot air circulating around. Anyone, else thought about this???

Old 07-31-2002, 01:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Jupiterak

SSCulley- I raised the temp control alittle today. I now have it set 197*@60% And 207@100%. Sorry, I can't tell what % when I'm driving. I think it would be at 60% when it stays 197-200*. But I can definitely here the difference when I stand in front of the truck and adjust the controller back and forth.

Also, when the truck is at normal temp and I turn off the truck. The fans stay on for about 5-10 seconds. It does it all the time.
That is about where mine is right now. I was thinking I needed to raise it another 5* F, per what Rocks posted.

The shut off is the same for me, there is a timer in the VSC that runs the fans after the ign is shut off, if the fans were in cycle at the time.

Tonight running errands is was 89* ambient air temp, and the HEC Instrument showed 92-94* C.
Tomorrow the laptop should be charged so I can run the HEC vs the AutoTap compare on the temps.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 07-31-2002 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by ChiDiver
How well does Water Wetter work? Any comments? I've looked at it a couple of times at Pep Boys but not hard enough to reach into my wallet.
A few of the L members use this in the intercooler, with so far good results.

I have not seen it used in a radiator yet. Maybe checking out the L forum to see if anything new has come up.

Thanks for the additional input today.

Old 07-31-2002, 02:11 AM

I notice my engine compartment is hotter because of the fans sucking hot air from the radiator and towards the engine. I'm starting to think this may hinder perfermance with open air filters kits (aka FIPK's) because of the hot air circulating around. Anyone, else thought about this???
Funny you mentioned that. I thought the same thing about my engine compartment, but thought maybe it was just that I had never spent alot of time in it and had not noticed it before.

The only snag I could think of with this was that the factory clutch fan is also a puller. So I did not see how one could be hotter than the other.

Rocks

Old 07-31-2002, 02:11 AM

This is the topic that started this thread for me.

I was taking the autotap reading on intake temp for the K&N FIPK to compare to the what is now looking to be a WMS tube / JLP combo franken FIPK / air ram, when I noticed my coolant temp reading was below 200* for the most part.

I wanted to see if the setup similar to the one that ROUSHFAN-1 has installed was really considerably cooler then the K&N FIPK.

The JLP air ram air box is a 5 sided enclosed air box that is attached to the MAFS, adn the top is mostly blocked by the hood.

The K&N FIPK elbow to the T/B is too long in the part that is forward of the T/B ( length wise w/ the truck ), and could not be used for the MAFS to T/B connection part. I need to order a WMS velocity tube on wed, to try again.

Right now I have the Air Ram on the drivers side of the air dam, up the inner flender well to the stock opening.
Once I get the WMS V tube, is if fits I should be ready to go with the second air ram / intake from the pass side of the air dam to the bottom of the air box.

With or without the electric fans, I have noticed an intake temp of 106* with the K&N with the ambient air temp ~ 85*. So the Electric fan kit pulling in the hot air at a higher CFM in moderatly high temps is a non issue. I have not had a 100* day again to check the intake temp, and this is when I noticed the worst performance of the K&N, sitting in traffic. \
Once traffic broke loose, the perf picked up again, I guess the air flow through the eng compartment cleared out the stale super heated air, and allowed in the lower temp air that the PCM could deal with ( maybe it goes off the intake temp scale and the PCM just looses it ??? This is all UNPROVEN, and I am just thinking out loud right now.

This just screams "Hey look at me I'm a geek ! "

Old 07-31-2002, 02:13 AM
I hate to ask a remedial question here, but what the heck.

What is the point of water wetter? I am not familiar with the product.

Rocks

Old 07-31-2002, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by Rocks
I hate to ask a remedial question here, but what the heck.

What is the point of water wetter? I am not familiar with the product.

Rocks
The actual science if this Iam also unsure of, but the 5 cent tour is that is helps the coolant / water mixture dissapate heat better then coolant / water alone. This is what a few L owners have used this in the intercooler, trying to get additional drop on the intercooler temps, and get denser air into the S/C for combustion.

Like I said that is the 5 cent tour, someone might be better suited to proved some indepth details that I have no idea about.

Old 07-31-2002, 02:26 AM
Check out the Lightning guys, alot of them are using it as well. I also saw a product called Be-Cool at the local autoparts store, which is supposed to be like Redline. But haven't heard any remarks about it.

Here's a link for Redline.

http://www.redlineoil.com

Old 07-31-2002, 04:06 PM

Moved Intake temp to new thread.

Just went ahead and did it.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...480#post655480

Last edited by SSCULLY; 07-31-2002 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:12 PM

temp range HEC vs AutoTap

With the log taken today.
The outside:
ambient temp : 92* F
humidity : 38%
Heat index : 93* F

The HEC ranged from 90-94* C.
The autotap software ranged from 194 to 201* F for the log.

It seems as if the HEC and the Auto Tap software both take the temp reading from the same place.

With the temps today I never crested 201* F on the temp, so I think I am about 5 to 8* too low in the setting.

At this temp the fans were cycling from 60% on to off, and with this range on the software I would say that the 100% never came into play, the 60% speed seems to cool the engine just fine.

BTW : This was with no AC running, I wanted to see where the truck itself was set, before I add the AC into the mix.

[ edit]
Setup a new thread on intake temps and FIPKs FAQ.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...480#post655480

Any input please let me know.

Steve

Last edited by SSCULLY; 07-31-2002 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by jstang
I used a Raytech thermal gun to set the temp, it has a laser on it and you point it on an object and it gives a digital temp readout.With it I was able to set my fans (FLEX 270) to come on when the coolant temp was 175-180 in the area of the sensor in the radiator(inlet hose from engine). They don't run when the truck is in motion. I belive Ford sets the fans in the Crown Vic to come on at 205, GM 's are even higher.

As long as air is passing through the rad, they stay off, even at very low speed, and when I stop, they come right on, or soon after, and cycle on and off.

The tank can can be at 180 and the core at only 130, as I found with the gun. temps varied all over the radiator.

The most impressive is the A/C unit, it got no hotter than 104(avg 100-101), these things will burn your hand when operating.

When they heat up and the liquid expands, the pressure switch(near battery) cuts the power to the compressor, yet with the fan in place it kept it cool enough that it never needed to cycle, result is "ICE COLD" A/C, and an A/C system that will last longer, due to running cooler and cycling less.

I also installed the MarkVIII water pump, aka "Cobra-R" for $71.00
Does the truck have a 180* stat in it. Rocks' post makes me think that this is the L stat, and the standard stat is 192* ?

Then again I have sigs turned off, so I do not know straight away what size engines we are talking about here.

If everyone could do me a favor, and post the engine that you have ( 4.2, 4.6 or 5.4 ), if you have a sig or not that states this.

I guess I should be taking this into account when making the FAQ on Electric Fans.

I hope that jefflaws comes along soon, so I don't need to get my service CD out, and tell me what the stats are set for

If it is 192*F stat, then the FAL directions say to set it about here ( the feel the hose trick, then adjust until the fans are on at 60% trick ), where Perf Prod says to start is 10* after the stat opens ( the FAL kicks them upto 100% after 10* F raise in temp, so there is only one setting for the FAL users.

Also another item that maybe of note, I read where a L owner toasted his VSC when it was mounted to the fan itself, and after FAL sent him a replacement they told him to move it off the fan. He mounted it to behind the head light, where the sheetmetal is. This is where I put mine out of the gate, don't know if any of the other FAL installs saw this note in a thread.

Old 07-31-2002, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by BigRed2
Can either of you tell me what the water temp is during normal operation in relation to the engine temp at cylinder #1 displayed while running in self-diagnostic mode? I don’t have a scanner and my mechanical water temp. gauge hasn’t arrived yet.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Check out the previous post, seems that they are the same.

BTW don't know if you care, there is a dyno event on Sat 14-SEP-02 down in naperville IL that a L member got going.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=85138

Old 07-31-2002, 05:45 PM
I have a 4.6 and stock thermostat. I chose that temp because if the stat opens at 192, than thats were the motor should be temp wise. I'd like to supply the motor with cooler coolant than what the motor has just sent to the radiator(192) to be cooled.

Quick Reply: Electric fans on at what temp