Electric fans on at what temp

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eGAK,

Keep an eye on that temp at 100c and make sure the second fan brings it back down to the 93 - 94c range. Also, keep an eye on what effect the AC has on your engine temps?

Old 08-13-2002, 07:49 PM
OK SSCULLY,

On the chance that I may have to take some ridicule here, I have to tell you a funny story.

This morning I decided to try my auto tap on the way to the office. By the by, this thing is pretty darned cool. I have not really had alot of time to get it all figured out, but I'll get it by the week end. I do have to work once in awhile.

So, I hook it up to my lap top and off I go.(By the way, watching the road and the monitor at the same time has a few inherent risks associated with it...LOL.

I get to the office and my sales mgr. comes out to my truck with a work problem and I shut off my truck and get out to assist him. I reached back in my truck and turn off my lap top and close it.

About an hour later I head to an appointment. I suddenly noticed that I was hearing my electric fan kick on and off. After about an hour of trying to figure out how to get that damn noise to stop, I arrive at a job where one of our techs is at. He gets in the truck and after the convo about hearing the fan, he starts poking around the dash and says he can feel air comming from somewhere.

Long story short, my dad gummed laptop was still on and the cooling fans in it where cycling on and off. I can't believe I spent that much time chasing that sound around.

Rocks:o

Old 08-13-2002, 09:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by eGAK
PPI dual fan kit. Passenger side on @ 93* C, Driver's side @ 100* C. Messured at the odo, in diagnostic mode.

Whatta ya think?

ASP underdrive pulleys @ 1.1" radiator, no drive time yet, getting ready
PPI said to set the first at the stat +10*.
93* is 199.4, so that is pretty good ( 202 is the +10* number, so you're right there ).
100* C is 212* F and that is the stat+10 +10, so dead on.
The under drive pulleys are the big question I had for the FAQ.
I don't have them, BigRed2 has a similar setup but using FAL kit, and is seening overheat problems.

Can an underdrive pulley and Electric fan user provide a difinative answer to the question:
Are you to put in a cobra waterpump with the electric fans, and the underdrive pulleys ?
I thought I read this in a thread, but I cannot find any thread that says this.
I see lots of cobra water pumps in Ls, and I think JDM suggests it with the electric fan on a L, but I don't know for sure.

Old 08-13-2002, 10:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Rocks
[B]OK SSCULLY,
On the chance that I may have to take some ridicule here, I have to tell you a funny story.
/B]
Guess you were MF'ing those PPI kits.
Calling it a worthless piece of crap FAL product for running all the time ?
I have done dumber things in life....so don't feel bad.
At least you did not cream someone watching the montior too much while driving.
I read the opening line, and my stomach fell.
I thougth oh crap I just helped him wreck his truck..he is getting on a plane tonight and flying to Chicago to kick my butt around my own front yard
Glad to hear that is was nothing.

Old 08-15-2002, 02:16 PM
BigRed2
I was reading through your post to see if I can figure out where your problem is coming from.
You mention that your manual switch is getting hot, it shouldn't be!! If it is a lighted switch it may be causing a short to the circuit board. Give me a call and we will figure this out.

Scot- aka:cooler

800-851-1510 ext. 111

Quick Reply: Electric fans on at what temp