Piston slap information (summary)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2001 that has a slight ticking noise that the engineer from Ford came to the selling dealership and told them this was normal eng noise and would go away when the eng reached operating temp. I think it is piston slap,wrist pin,or a cracked piston skirt, the dealership has its hands tied since the engineer came out and told them not to do anything more as this is normal the noise is sti;; there after driving the truck more than 25 miles to the dealership. I would like to know if you have any info on the 00,01,02,03, having the same problem my truck has only2227 miles, and i would like to drive it more without a concern as to it breaking down.
Thanks Blwnsvt

Old 02-15-2003, 08:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eng*^##+?

I have one thing to say to that. Being an engineer does not make you the person who is all knowing and does not make everything you say right! Trust me, I work with a whole factory full of them and I am constantly working with them to correct engineering mistakes.

That engineer has two things that he is concerned about. 1. He works for Ford and must do what is in their best interest as far as what supports the bottom line/budget. 2. He must not say or do anything that might be construed as an admission of guilt to poor engineering by either himself or his fellow engineer.

Now that that is said, what IS normal engine noise? Is it normal when compared to all the other engines that have the same noise because engineering could not design an engine such as the 5.4 that did not have any noise? This sounds like the baseline they have established for judgement. Or, is it normal when compared to the population of trucks on the road from all automakers. Does the GM 5.3 do that? Does the Dodge 5.9 do that? I don't think so.

Anytime you have engine noise, you are going to have elevated levels of engine wear at that point. Will it effect the longevity of the engine during the period that you own it? Probably not. Will it embarrass you everytime you start or drive it and your friends hear it? It's quite possible. Should it be expected considering that you paid a premium above and beyond what GM and Dodge owners paid for their vehicles for something that is touted to be quality and performance above all others? NO!

Am I going to look long and hard at other manufacturers products when I make my next purchase? You bet! When others offer more for less and have better mileage too, that is something to consider. Looking at the pricing strategy being practiced at this time it appears that Ford is more costly because of supply in demand. It has nothing to do with engineering, quality, performance or mileage. It's all about marketing and net profit. You and I are at the bottom of the list of priorities for this manufacturer.

Old 02-15-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Blwnsvt01
I have a 2001 that has a slight ticking noise that the engineer from Ford came to the selling dealership and told them this was normal eng noise and would go away when the eng reached operating temp. I think it is piston slap,wrist pin,or a cracked piston skirt, the dealership has its hands tied since the engineer came out and told them not to do anything more as this is normal the noise is sti;; there after driving the truck more than 25 miles to the dealership. I would like to know if you have any info on the 00,01,02,03, having the same problem my truck has only2227 miles, and i would like to drive it more without a concern as to it breaking down.
Thanks Blwnsvt
One more thing before I quit. If it is still making noise after 25 miles, you have a legitimate complaint. Once the engineer stated that the noise would go away when the engine reached operating temp. he the same as made a promise to the customer to provide satisfaction and established the criteria for that expected satisfaction. If the noise persists, you now have reason to seek additional recourse.

Best Regards,

Old 02-27-2003, 12:58 PM
Angry Piston Slap

ML;

First of all I'd like to add my thanks to you for preparing this summary. Not knowing what this is is the worst.

Anyway, I have a '99 F250 with a piston-slapping 5.4 Windsor. I am at the end of year 2 in a 3 year extended warranty. It is now February here in northern Ontario, Canada and my neighbors are complaining about my cold starting "that diesel" and leave it running in the driveway when I warm it up to go to work in the morning.

I have just had it diagnosed at my local Ford dealership and received the standard Ford response you outlined in your summary, "turn up the stereo and don't worry about it". The dealership says they don't agree with Ford but there is nothing they can do.

I have called the Ford Customer Service hot-line for some assistance but other than a sympathetic ear the answer remains the same.

Has anyone had any luck with pressing Ford under these circumstances?

I look forward to your responses........ Thanks

Old 03-20-2003, 09:38 PM
my 98 slaps on really cold mornings if i dont let the vehicle run for more than 30 seconds, so i just let it run for a couple minutes before i take off.
If i get a factory remanuf. engine, do i get to keep my orig 4.6??

Old 03-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Well....I've got a 2000 F150 4X4 with the 5.4 and about 52,000 miles on it. I'm hearing this piston slap for 30-45 seconds after I start it up. Also, when I listen real close, it sounds like a lifter hanging. I'm taking it to the dealership this week, as they said they have "an expert" on piston slap working there. Should be interesting........I may wait a couple of weeks until I get back from Bullhead City.....got a 4X4 Poker Run that I might just wind it out on and break it.....let them put in a new engine all together.

Old 03-25-2003, 04:12 PM
I have a 2001 F-150 5.4 and every morning I hear the piston slap noise. I have a good oil filter and good oil in the engine. At the present I have 23000 miles , i don't know exactly when the piston slapping. Is there any newer trucks with this problem

Old 04-11-2003, 10:39 AM
PS

I have a 2000 150 with a 11/19/1999 Build date, It doesnt get very cold in southern california but, I have heard the piston slap, didnt have a clue what it was, and after putting castrol syntec in it, it got lots better, but now that i know what that noise is (sounds like a flat lifter) I have talked to the dealer, funny thing is, its in the shop for service right now, for a lazy door lock solonoid.

Just got off the phone with the service manager, and he says they are going to look at it.

I wonder.

Old 04-15-2003, 01:48 PM
My 98' F-150 Ext. Cab 4X2 5.4L had over 134,000 miles on it and I had the knocking (Piston Slap?) noise pretty much from 10K on. The engine never used any oil and always ran strong...If you have piston slap and you cant get your engine replaced for free I really wouldnt worry about it....Just My Humble Opinion. I did just trade it off for a new 2003 Supercrew Lariat 4X4 with the 5.4L . Ill keep an ear out for the same knocking sound.

Old 04-19-2003, 06:27 AM
I now have 67K miles on my 1999 5.4. I have never heard this on my engine. Am I home free, or can this raise its head later on?

Peace, Dennis

Old 04-19-2003, 08:36 AM
Lucky?

Some people are just luckier I guess. My '98 sounds like **** every time I start it. My brother's '99 or '00 Expy 5.4 is quiet as a Mercedes. Ford has some serious work to do if they are ever to convince me to buy another one. I am a Ford loyalist, but I also take pride in my vehicles and I don't want people to hear my vehicle sounding like that at startup.

Old 05-22-2003, 11:55 PM
my 99 knocks too!!

Well I do feel better knowing I'm not the only one. I bought my 99 5.4 (March 15 engine date) new at Bessemer Auto Company in Bessemer Michigan. NEVER EVER GO THERE!! I have had the truck in four times for engine problems. Luckily I grabbed the 100000/5yr. warranty when I bought it. I now have almost 93,000. First It developed the passenger head oil leak at 38,000. They put in a new "Better" gasket. Last fall at 88,000 it started leaking again, this time a new head went on. By now it has had the PS for quite some time and it has been eating lots of oil (1qt per 500m). Last week I brought it in, they had it four days with out calling. So I call and the service guy, Mike, says Its all my fault because the oil was low! I went OFF! My fiance stood in amazement as I hovered in the air with the phone. I was transfered to the manager (Rocky) who covered all his bases well. "Never heard of replacing an engine for that". Then he tells me to come get the truck for a comsumption test. I asked him if they used my brand synthetic oil, like I requested twice earlier he says "no, we put regular Motorcraft in it, but I'll go change it right now". I said don't touch my f'ing truck again, I'm done with you. So now I have a motor used to syn oil running on dyno oil knocking like a ***** and I'm searching for another dealership somebody please offer my some advice.

Old 05-23-2003, 08:07 AM
Information you missed:

My 1998 Expedition began its slapping problem at around 45,000 miles.

Replaced at 49,000 miles with FQR.

Sold with 76,000 miles on it.

The vehicle had a an oil leak initially which was taken care of.

Some wierd *new* noises in exhuast at cold start and disipated over time.

Trans NEVER felt the same after the new engine. Alwasys felt like it was slipping a little. Developed shudder around 65,000 miles.

But the FQR engine was running fine when I sold it.

Old 08-26-2003, 03:36 AM
Does this problem affect the Lightning 5.4L engines? I have 10,000 on my 02 and notice that cold starts (if 65 is cold!) are noisy. Thanks for the awesome info!

Old 09-25-2003, 11:55 AM
I own a 99 f-150 sport 4x4 with the 5.4L. I have only owned if for a year and have gone through a typical canadian winter with it. I have yet to hear any piston slap but it does tick alittle in cold start up. I use Mobil 1 5w-30 and a fram filter. ( which since i've been reading isn't a good filter. ) The motor has been recalled because of bad head gaskets from the factory. My question is that I have just rolled 95000km ( approx. 60000 miles ) and I was wondering if my motor was going to be struck with the piston slap bug, would it have started already?

Quick Reply: Piston slap information (summary)