Piston slap information (summary)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the first post said Ford had a problem. Difference is in who pays for the repairs.

Mine makes that noise and some more. All normal after paying 1600 to get a leaky head gasket replaced. According to Ford any way.

I think there are several ford chevy and dodge trucks of 62 vintage that have been ran out of oil that will run queiter than mine.

Ford may love me but you can't make me love a Ford ever again.

Old 12-17-2003, 10:06 AM
Both links are broken in the first post. Anyone have other sources?

Old 05-01-2004, 05:43 AM
Talking

Ml,
Researching the phenomenan of PS I Stumbled across your Excellant post.It is with great interrest that I read of a filter made with an anti drain back valve (S type),since that can solve the same problem on one of my other vehicles.However I find it doubtfull if one can find such a filter here in South africa , can you recommend a site online that I can buy such a filter and import it to my country?

Old 10-28-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by George Nestler
Recent cold Wis. mornings brought strange engine noises at first start. I downloaded the sound of piston slap from an earlier post. Now I own a pro recording studio so the downloaded file was heard very clearly and it sure sounded familiar.
HOWEVER, the build date on my 5.4l is 4/30/99 Windsor. So it can't be piston slap. Can it? Any ideas?
BTW great audio file and thanks to the poster. This is my first post here.

'99 black f150 Larriat just turned 9,000 miles.

------------------
Geo
Can you please post or forward the link for the audio? I tired the URL listed many posts ao, but it was not available.

Tks
BOBB

Old 10-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Add another!

'97 4.6L w/190,000, been slapping away since about 60K. BTW, switched to synthetic 5W20 (Mobil1) @160,000. Made no difference in the noise, but does seem to run better.

FWIW, I wouldn't worry about it - everyone should either tell their neighbors to mind their own business or tell them you swapped a PowerStroke.........

Just my opinion.

Jamie D.

Old 02-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Great Artical, i have ps on my 200 f-150 it has had it ever since i bought it with less than 24,000 miles on it, i took it to ford while still under warenty and they said it was normal that it would never be a problem.... well to this day it still rattles in the morning after seting all night. it is louder in the morning on the realy cold nights. I have used mobil 1 , castrol syntec, synthetic blend , and their new one start up, none have realy made a difrence on start up PS. But something i havent tried is difrent filter types ive used regular fram and also fram tough guard, im do for a oil change and i'll try a diffrent brand of filter. something i have noticed that in the inital start up if you rev the engine just a little at start up like the computer dose that ps will not last as long.

Old 03-28-2005, 04:24 PM
PISTON SLAP

I HAVE A 1997 FORD F 150 THAT MAKES A STRANGE SOUN LIKE YOUR DESCRIBING I HAVE BEEN TOLD NUMEROUS THINGS HOW CAN I FIND OUT FOR SURE WHAT THE SOUND IS ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.PLEASE E MAIL KLM49ERS@NYCAP.RR.COM

Old 08-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Add another 1999 F150 2wd 5.4 .... Mine started somewhere back in 90k's or so. Been doing it primarily in the cold mornings, occasionally on a regular morning, never after work. Used various synthetics, good filters, and a couple product like "Risolone". Never made a real difference, though I think it runs a little better with Ris. Just moved to Ohio from SC before last winter and had many mornings of it. Then it really rarely does it during the warm months.

Ford, mechanics and others had no idea what it was (supposedly) even in the last couple years. I have had the impression since 100k that I would be replacing the engine soon, but I am now at 136k.

Overall, it has been a great truck.

Chris

Old 08-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing engine~replacement engine

Congrats on 137K. If you decide to change the engine, I have a new(2000) 5.4 that I got from Roush Industries. It is the new Performance Improved engine and has never been installed. I bought it to put in my '98 F250 when I found out how bad mine was but I never got around to installing it. It is a complete engine. I have photos available upon request. My F250 was really noisey(sounded like a diesel) on freezing mornings.

I also have a lightning exhaust system if anyone would like a more efficient exhaust without the noise.

I traded my F250 for an "05 F150 a week ago. The "05 doesn't hold the road nearly as well as my '98. I saw my '98 at the auction today. I think I am going to have to go eat some chocolate and get some milk. I miss my truck already.

Regards,

Phil

Old 08-15-2005, 11:57 PM
I have the 4.6 and it has 302,000 km. Truck is a 1997 4x4 xlt sc. At about 200,000 km, i installed some ams oil engine flush and then used there oil and filter. it seemed that shortly after the engine would tick on start up and even when hot, would start ticking but if i rev the engine the sound will go away.
Is it possible that i have this piston slap issue??? And being the second owner and way off warranty will ford do something about this??

Any info would be appreciated.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by V-10 F-150
I have the 4.6 and it has 302,000 km. Truck is a 1997 4x4 xlt sc. At about 200,000 km, i installed some ams oil engine flush and then used there oil and filter. it seemed that shortly after the engine would tick on start up and even when hot, would start ticking but if i rev the engine the sound will go away.
Is it possible that i have this piston slap issue??? And being the second owner and way off warranty will ford do something about this??

Any info would be appreciated.
My guess here would be that you have a lifter that is getting marginal oil supply for the amount of leakdown it has at its current wear level.

Old 08-17-2005, 09:21 AM
"Replacement engines come with a 1 year, 12,000 mile warranty. I do recall one post claiming engines made after Oct 01 will have a 2 year 24, 000 mile warranty. But I can't confirm this by my dealer. Can anyone confirm a 2 year warranty?"

I should probably double check this, but I just bought a used 99 F150 with 70k on the body, and about 50 miles on the engine. The engine was replaced because of an unknown problem, but the dealer told me 3 times, and I signed a paper sometime during the deal stating: 100,000/3 year warranty on the long block.

However, the replacement is a 99 Windsor. According to the first post I should have a 2000 engine. The warranty is from Ford, not the dealership (I got a seperate 3 month/3k mile warranty on the truck from them).

100,000 mile warranty on an engine? Maybe I was dreaming...

(Oh yea, first post... Hello!)

Old 08-18-2005, 04:21 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Originally Posted by Kilnz
Ml,
Researching the phenomenan of PS I Stumbled across your Excellant post.It is with great interrest that I read of a filter made with an anti drain back valve (S type),since that can solve the same problem on one of my other vehicles.However I find it doubtfull if one can find such a filter here in South africa , can you recommend a site online that I can buy such a filter and import it to my country?
LOOK UP FORDPARTS.COM

Old 10-31-2005, 07:20 PM
2002 F150 Cold Start Engine Kocks

To make a long story short. I Bought a 02 f150 in the summer of 03. I Paid cash for it, Love the truck. After a couple of month I starting noticing a engine knock on cold starts .I Took it to the dealership and got a big run around for a few months and finally took a stab at calling the ford motor company to get something done. After that the dealership confirmed the piston slapping on cold starts and replaced the small block . Sounded good for a couple of months and it started again . I Took it back and they replaced the big block at 29,000 miles on my truck. Well about 7 thousand miles and 8 months lator it started doing it again . So I took in to the dealer and asked the service manager did the new motor have a warranty on it and he said no it didnt ,but they look would at it.They called back the next day saying they couldnt hear a thing and to come get it.I picked it up and kept it and couldnt hear it either . Now 9 months fom the last visit its doing it again .I can only hear it when the temp. is below 70 deg. iT STOPS AFTER IT WARMS UP. When did Ford recognize the problem ? now my truck has 44000 miles on it .Its been a little fess than 2 years since they put the new motor in and lee than 15000 miles,,WHAT CAN I DO PLEASE HELP

Old 10-31-2005, 08:32 PM
Do like my brother did with his. He had over 150,000 miles on the truck when he traded it. Piston slap only showed up in the winter. Seldom heard it doing the summer. It was a company truck and he always said he was just going to drive it until the motor blew. Never happened. Maybe others have more insight on the long term.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Piston slap information (summary)