Piston slap information (summary)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-1999, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 98 4.6l (windsor) has piston slap. Left it with the dealer overnight and they heard it too.
The replacement engine arrived last week. I looked at it last Friday and it is perfectly spotless! It says remanufactured but it looks brand new. Will be installed this monday (11/29). Hope the surgery goes well.

------------------
98 F150 XLT SC 4x4 4.6L 5spd 3.55 Lt Denim Blue

Old 11-27-1999, 11:21 PM
ml
Cool

Thanks much everyone...

Castines,

Congrats on the soon to be arrival, in the mean time I'll find some place to store the TSB's.

Old 11-27-1999, 11:27 PM
Talking

ml,

I used cut and paste to put it on the board, you might want to edit your summary, and copy and paste it their. After you paste it to your summary, make sure you remove the link, that way i know i can use my site.

Thanks

------------------
98 X EB no mods.
Family Mobile

[This message has been edited by castines (edited 11-27-1999).]

[This message has been edited by castines (edited 11-27-1999).]

Old 11-27-1999, 11:32 PM
Here it is!! Good luck to all and thanks to all who have participated in getting this TSB out to the public!!!!

1997-1999 EXPED/NAV/E&F-SERIES - COLD STARTUP KNOCK - WINDSOR ENGINES ONLY
SOME 1997-1999 EXPEDITION/NAVIGATOR, E AND F-SERIES EQUIPPED WITH ENGINES
PRODUCED BY WINDSOR ENGINE PLANT (4.6, 5.4, 6.8L, EXCEPT LIGHTNING 5.4L SC)
MAY EXHIBIT AN ENGINE KNOCK AT INITIAL COLD STARTUP. ROMEO 4.6L ENGINES ARE
NOT SUBJECT TO THIS CONCERN. THIS CONCERN INCLUDES ALL THREE OF THE FOLLOWING
C~{ARACTERISTICS TOGETHER:
1. KNOCK NOISE OCCURS AROUND 1100-1400 RPM IN NEUTRAL OR PARK.
2. NOISE IS NOT HEARD WITH THE TRANSMISSION IN GEAR.
3. NOISE GOES AWAY FOLLOWING ENGINE WARM-UP.
THE NOISE ISA RESULT OF PISTON TO BORE CLEARANCE AT COLD STARTUP TEMPERATURES.
INFORM THE CUSTOMER THIS WILL NOT AFFECTOPERATION OR LONG TERM DURABILITY.
(CONTINUED ON 12799)

1997-1999 EXPED/NAV/E&F-SERIES - COLD STARTUP KNOCK - (CONTINUED)
(CONTINUED FROM 12798)
AN IMPROVEMENT WAS INCORPORATED IN ENGINE PRODUCTION ON 4/15/1999. TO SATISFY
CUSTOMERS WITH ENGINES THAT EXHIBIT THISCONCERN, WINDSOR ENGINE WILL EXCHANGE
ENGINES ON 1999 4.6L AND 5.4L UNITS, AND1997 THROUGH CURRENT MODEL YEAR 6.BL
ENGINES. CONTACT WINDSOR ENGINE PLANT HOTLINE AT (800)465-4680 OR (519)257-4200
EOR FURTHER ASSISTANCE ON THESE ENGINES ONLY. FOR ENGINE EXCHANGES ON 1997-1998
MODELS, THE SAME IMPROVEMENT WILL BE IMPLEMENTED INTO FQR ENGINES APPROXIMATELY
09/1999. DETAILS ON AVAILABILITY OF PRIOR MODEL YEAR ENGINES TO FOLLOW. NOTE:
ALL 5.4L AND 6.8L ENGINES ARE BUILT AT WINDSOR, 4.6L ENGINES ARE BUILT AT BOTH
ROMEO AND WINDSOR. ROMEO 4.6L ENGINES ARE NOT SUBJECT TO THIS CONCERN. A 4.6L
ENGINE IS A WINDSOR BUILT ENGINE IF THE 8TH POSITION OF THE VIN IS A "6".

Old 11-28-1999, 02:59 AM
Question

Great thread! It's nice to have all this info in one spot.

I have a question, my engine was made in Windsor on 4/26/99 so it should have the new cylinders. But I'm getting "ticking" on start-up that I was attributing to PS, could it be oil-back-flow? I use Mobil 1 filters, do these have anti-drainback valves in them?

TIA,

Jim

------------------
'99 F-250 LD 5.4L SC XLT 2WD 3.73LS in White/Silver (w/ EVERYTHING 'cept leather and engine block heater) -- added: SnugTop Hi-Liner & carpet kit, Donnelly electrochromatic/compass mirror, K&N filter, 3" Induction Tube Airbox Mod., SuperWhite 9007 bulbs, IAS shocks, Mobil 1, Bosch +4 plugs, more to come... (Flowmaster 70 cat-back exhaust is on order, Westin side bars, electric fan, Superchip, and silver fender/wheel flares are next)

http://hometown.aol.com/jimorama/myh...ollection.html

Old 11-28-1999, 03:42 AM
Thumbs up

Great job ml! This definitely will be a reference guide for many.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning,#0975,Born 5/6/99...Adopted 5/27/99 Chipped w/SuperChip Flipchip chip,Water Wetter, Mobil 1, Foglamp Covers, 13.573@101.08

[This message has been edited by 4D THNDR (edited 11-28-1999).]

Old 11-29-1999, 10:01 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks ml for the very informative post. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to take in my 99' s/c 4x4 Lariat w/5.4L. I have 15000 miles on it and the knock is really apparent since the temps have dropped up here in MI. I'm sure glad to have all this information before talking to the service dept. This is, in my opinion THE most informative F150 site and has directly influenced the mods I'm making to the big truck. Thanks once again.

Old 11-30-1999, 03:23 AM
ml
Hi fellow Piston Slappers,

I know it's not a lot of consolation, but just so you don't feel like you're alone in this world when it comes to engine problems. I'll call it;

"Misery loves company" Here goes...

PickupTruck.Com Discussion Forum

6.0L owners please read

Back to Forum Reply

Date: 11/27/1999

Farther down in the messages a person posted some 6.0L vibration problems. I'm very interested in anyone else's experiences as I have a 6.0. Overall I love the truck. I have concerns as I hear bad noises when it's very cold (below 45F) or when it's been run fast a long time in the heat of summer. It sounds to me as though I have a main bearing, rod bearing or piston slop noise. Sounds as though it's only 1 cylinder (or 1 main) that's problematic. I'm quite concerned as I have every intention of putting 170K as I've done with my previous trucks. If you've had
probelms...How many miles did you have before you had problems? Was/Is the vibration rpm or speed specific (if so what speed/rpm)? I differentiate (speed vs. rpm because some of the Z71's are having half-shaft and tire problems. I have a 2wd so this doesn't apply to me. Did you have any audible (bad) noise when very cold and/or very hot? Thanks for your time...

Chris

Reply #1
Date: 11/28/1999

I waiting on delivary of a warranty 6L engine for my GMC Sierra. Problem diagnosed as rod knock. I've read some of the posts of engine problems with the 6.0,4.8, and 5.3 and I'm beginning to wonder if these new line of engines were rushed into production without sufficient testing. I also have a 90 Sierra with a 350 CID that has 210,000 miles and still runs flawless.

PickupTruck.Com Discussion Forum [Chevrolet]

4.8, 5.3 Engine problems

Back to Forum Reply

Date: 11/25/1999

I recently had a new 4.8L engine replaced in my 99 Silverado under warranty. I've been reading about a bunch of other owners having a problem in the same area, which is the
bottom end. The service manager, who is a friend of mine, said this has been a problem showing up more and more once the engines get about 20,000 miles on them. Has any one else
had this problem?

Reply #1

I HAVE A 4.8 IN MY SILVERADO I HAVE 120OO MILES ON IT WITH NO PROBLEMS. THE LOWER END IS THE CRANKSHAFT.

Reply #2

One of the bearings seized and scored the crankshaft. I hope it's only that particular run of engines that has a potential problem. According to the engine assembly date, I have one of the first ones built.

Reply #3

One of the bearings seized and scored the crankshaft. I hope it's only that particular run of engines that has a potential problem. According to the engine assembly date, I have one of the first ones built.

Reply #4

First year "bugs" can be expected. Ford and Dodge both had them when they first came out with their trucks. GM (and all other automakers) are no different. You hope there are no problems, but you should always anticipate having a few.

I'm sure the GM engineers are implementing changes on their trucks as we speak. Expect fewer problems as more trucks are built ("practice makes perfect" applies in the auto
industry also).

HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING!!!!

With kind regards, I remain.

Sincerely,

Brad R.

Reply #5
Date: 11/26/1999

Had problem at 22,000 miles. Bad connecting rod bearing in the 5.3 engine. Engine replaced under warranty.

Reply #6

I have a 99 Silverado with a 5.3 Vortec V8. Engine replaced at 9800 miles because of noisy main bearings. At 27000 miles 2nd engine replaced because a connecting rod bearing was bad. Truck has 41,000 miles, 14,000 on engine, no problems at this time.

Reply #7

My 2000 Silverado with the 5.3L is on the third motor since taking delivery 6 months ago. Excessive drivetrain vibration was diagnosed as crankshaft bearing defect. One more engine problem and the lemon law kicks in. Maybe Ill get a Tundra.

Reply #8

My 2000 5.3 bit the dust at 11,000 mi. Oil pump failure.

Reply #9

I hope you guys sprung for the $ilverado's heated tailgate option. Winter is coming on and your hands are liable to get cold while you are pushing them.

Reply #10

STUPID POST = STUPID AUTHOR!!!!

Reply #11

I live in South Florida. My engine blew while we were pulling my boat out of the Intercoastal Waterway. You talkabout mad and embarrased. I traded in a 96 Dodge 1500 that
never gave me any trouble. Up until this point I loved the truck, and hopefully Chevy will have the bugs worked out of their small V8's, because I will trade this in on another
Chevy. The Chevy is tons better than the Dodge in drivability.

Reply #12

Brad, I have read a detective novel or two in my life and I have cleverly deduced that the new $ilverado appears to be trouble-prone. I was merely trying to give a public service
announcement in order to minimize the inconveniances of the unfortunate $ilverado owners.

Reply #13

I'm with Dave,you got to keep your sense of humor.I opted to order a 2000 C2500,not the silverado.Until now I haven't shopped for a truck in 13 years.Can anyone tell me anything about the Vortec 5.7L 350 255hp? Don't answer here I'll post my own subject under Vortec 5.7.
Thanks and I hope the Silverado owners a promising future.

Sincerely Yours,

Bill

Reply #14

I think the heated tailgate is the best $ilverado option going. Yes, it's a Chev, yes, I brought my shoes.

I have a tow rope in the Dodge, so for a few bucks you might be able to talk me into towing your (new) Chev home.

Reply #15

David,

Sorry, I was having a bad day!

Y2K not applicable,

Clunk, clunk, clunk...whats that? Oops! You just lost a tranny! Sorry!

Its too bad that the company that makes fix-a-flat, doesn't make "fix-a-dodge-tranny" spray! Ha! Ha!

You see, they all have their problems. Thinking your truck is perfect is rediculious. But, as David said, as long as
you keep your sense of humor about subjects like this, we will all be ok!

1999 15000 Silverado 4.8L Ext. Cab

Back to Forum Reply

Date: 11/20/1999

What are some things that I can do to increase the horsepower on my truck and make it faster?? What little defects have been found on this new truck that I should look
for??

Reply #1

[Talks about headers etc, says he likes truck and thinks they are fine...] Long winded so I won't bore you..

Reply #2
Date: 11/24/1999

I'M ON MY SECOND SILVERADO 1999 THIS ONE IS THE EXTENDED CAB AND I HAVE HAD FEW PROBLEMS. BUT WITH THE FIRST 99 REG CAB LONG BED IT WAS A PIECE OF JUNK.

silverado 6.0 engine

Back to Forum Reply

Date: 11/18/1999

I just ordered a 3/4 ton with the 6.0 engine anybody know anything about them..good, bad, mileage?

Thanks

Reply #1
Date: 11/22/1999

Hi , I have my 2000 silverado 2500 ext cab w/6.0 and 4.10 rear . Needless to say , if you ordered a rear like mine you weren't lookin for milage . The engine runs great , BUT , I ( and many others ) are running into problems with vibrations while driving . Chevrolet says it's normal and acceptable but I ( and others dont agree ). Chevrolet has
been buying these trucks back , which is a way out for them. YOU have to pay for milage used @ .20 per mile , and YOU have to pay tags, title and taxes again . THIS IS NOT A CASH BACK DEAL . You HAVE to purchase another Chevrolet product . BUYER BEWARE ! Test drive your new truck and if it has what we call in the business, a "driveline vibration" , do
yourself a favor and do not accept the truck !! Chevrolet has taken the easy way out and considers these vibrations NORMAL . A driveline vibration can cause all sorts of misery down the road. I know I didn't answer your question but I felt that I should fill you in on this particular problem as I am in the middle of fighting with Chevrolet (and not winning ). GOOD LUCK .

99 GMC 5.3L tick'n and tranny slip'n

Back to Forum Reply

Date: 11/12/1999

Just curious to know what excuses others are getting regarding the ticking of the 5.3L engine. It sounds like lifter noise to me that is most pronounced between 1000 and
1500 rpms. The dealer just says "they all do it - it's normal". Just because they may all do it doesn't make it normal! Also, my tranny occasionally hits neutral on the 1st to 2nd shift under heavy acceleration, has remained in the wrong gear at traffic lights, has failed to shift into high at highway speeds for up to 8-10 miles, and then there's that occasional "clunk" shift that makes one
envision metal shavings. The dealer has been unable to duplicate the tranny problems and says they should have "latched codes" and no codes have been latched.

Reply #1

I am having the same kinds of problems with mine. The dealer hasn't been able to do anything to help me as of yet.

Reply #2

When I hear all of the problems that people are having with The new chevy trucks, I'm glad that I bought a 98 instead. I don't usually buy the first couple of years of a new vehicle so they can iron out any problems.

Reply #3
Date: 11/13/1999

I have had both of these problems also. The dealer told me they where normal, I have only had it slip once. But i always have the tick'n

Reply #4

My dad owns a 99 chevy silverado. When ever I shift out of PARK into REVERSE it makes a loud bang noise. Does anyone know what it could be?

Reply #5

I have a 2K silverado 5.3. I've experienced the clunk shifting into reverse that Kev mentioned. As for tranny problems, mine didn't feel just right so I checked the fluid
level and added a bit. Seemed to help. As for the other tranny odditties.....I haven't had them.....yet....So I just want to let you know it isn't in all the trucks and you can
tell the dealer with confidence that it is NOT normal!

Reply #6

my 1997 with a 5.7L makes the same tik'n noises you refer to...some have said the lifters are sticking...in cold weather it tends to turn into a knocking noise...i could go on and on about other problems i'm having, such as a periodic clicking noise while driving down the highway at 60...this noise seems to coincide with a brief skip in the
engine...is my fuel pump going out???dirty fuel filter???please help... by the way- my steering sucks...pulls to the right just like
every other chevy truck i have driven lately...oh well, i'm still probably going to buy the new crew cab when it comes out next fall... Stuck on Chevy

Reply #7
Date: 11/16/1999

I have read on other forums that the new vortecs have a problem with the rod bearings.

Reply #8
Date: 11/16/1999

I own a 2k Siverado with the 5.3 motor, and had only 2500 mi. on it, when I noticed a ticking in the engine compartment. I thought it also sounded like a lifter or something along those lines. The dealer thought maybe some sort of valve solenoid, and replaced it with a new one. So far it seems to have taken care of it, but I'm still holding
my breath. No tranny slipping at this point in time, and hope for none. I'd like to know why there have been so many strange noises in this truck though, and wonder what happened to the quality I had in my 93' Z71. I'm dissappointed, but will still buy another.

Reply #9
Date: 11/17/1999

end your problems and get a ford

Reply #10
Date: 11/18/1999

Sign me up for one of those F150's with the torsion bars that break while they sit in the driveway! (happened to a friend of mine who's truck is a 97 and never goes offroading)

Or then again, I think I will keep my 2000 Silverado! it may get some noises over time but I won't have to worry about opening the garage and finding my truck's torsion bars on
the floor!

Rick

Reply #11
Date: 11/19/1999

Two each 99'1500 work trucks with 5.3 vortec low RPM
tapping, when Trans shifts to 2nd noise stops, I don't hear the noise while idling between 1000/1500 rpm's. Make service reps note your concerns on they're work orders, if
the noise go's away as the engine breaks-in, no problem if not you'll have it documented. Also no tranny shifting problems.

Note for FORDTOUGH & JB

FORD RECALLS ALL F-SERIES PICK-UPS BECAUSE OF LOOSE NUT BETWEEN THE STEERING WHEEL AND GAS PEDAL. [ml; hehehe good comeback!]

Reply #12
Date: 11/21/1999

I have a 98 k-1500 with the 5.7 under the hood.I had the same problems.The dealer (fixed it) about 5 times then the northeast rep. came & told me it was normal at least buy me drink first before you try to **** me.I ordered the service bulletins from 1-800-551-4123 it was about 80.00.There is a
service bulletin about the pinging/tick/knock/rattle noise
it states-THIS CONDITION HAS NO ASSIGNABLE CAUSE AT THIS TIME AND AS A RESULT NO REPAIRS SHOULD BE ATTEMPTED .ALTHOUGH THE NOISE MAY SOUND UNUSUAL,THERE IS NO INDICATION THAT THIS WILL IN ANY WAY AFFECT THE DURABILITY OR LONGEVITY OF THE ENGIN.AS SOON AS AN ASSIGNABLE CAUSE AND FIX ARE DETERMINED,THIS BULLETIN WILL BE RE-ISSUSED WITH THAT
INFORMATION... Well thats it I swicthed to 93 oct. gas and that has seemed to get rid of the noise after a few tank fulls.If a follow up bulletin comes out I will let you all
know.I also had transmission problems it happened 3 times one right after another it slipped in to nutral at a stop sign for a sec. or two then went.As always the dealer looked at it and said they cant find a problem the computer said it was fine.Also there is a bulletin on -brake lead/pull and front brake wear.Bulletin # is 86-50-20 it replaces the rear brakes with dura stop brake shoe kit. P.S.THE BULLETIN FOR THE ENGIN NOISE IS # 77-61-21.

Reply #13
Date: 11/22/1999

I also have a 98 k1500 w/5.7 and during cold weather I can hear a ticking noise at about 1000-1500 rpm. It goes away after the truck has warmed up. I don't notice this noise
during the warm weather months. I havn't had any tranny problems but the 4L60E trannies have had some problems. I had one in my 93 S-10 4x4 which they ended up replacing.

Reply #14
Date: 11/23/1999

Wayne reply #13 This condition is normal.Oil drainsfrom the lifters which hold the valves open when the engin is not running.The valve lifter needs a few seconds to fill with oil after you start the engin.Synthetic oil might help.

ml:Sorry for such a long post, but these are just a few posts from 1 site that covers about a 2 week period, and this site is not even a Chevy specific site, it is mixed brands and not that large. Sounds like while Ford is wrapping up it's teething problems, Chevy's are just beginning.

Some of these posts sound eerily similar. How about the engine noise ticking? How about GM's response... Don't know what it is, don't know how to fix it, so it must be normal and it is not affecting durability.

Then there is the post I found on another site where the 99 Silverado owner found bearings in his oil filter (actually two owners did)....oh then ther's the post entitled "raindrops keep falling on my head!"...gotta stop now.

Remember, this is not intended to be a "bash Chevy" post guys, this is simply a little "healing" for us Piston Slappers.. after all...misery loves company.

[This message has been edited by ml (edited 11-30-1999).]

Old 11-30-1999, 09:23 AM
This is not Ford's first time with piston problems. In 1978, when I worked for a Ford dealer, the 391 truck engines had piston problems. One particular fleet owner had three or four of these trucks. One in particular developed piston noise, so I replaced it under warranty. A week or so later the second one started so I replaced that one. I talked to the rep about this (both piston skirts were cracked) and he said they were looking into it. Ford had decided that if an engine came in with this problem, than all eight should be replaced. At the same time, the fleet owner called with piston #3 making noise. We informed him we had to replace the rest of them and to schedule the truck in. He needed the truck and said he would get it there as soon as possible. Ten days later, it came in on the hook with piston #3 hanging out the side of the block. Ford ended up replacing the short block and one head. I don't remember now if this was clearance related or a design defect. (this engine had been in production for 15 or so years by then and only affected late 77-early 78 models) I beleive it was clearance related and the potential for a catastrophic engine failure is likely.

Old 11-30-1999, 06:14 PM
Arrow

Ford's Takin Care of Business So Far...

Well they repalaced my engine and so far so good minus a weird heat related (maybe) expansion sound from my exhaust X-over pipe under the engine. {Lots of tickin'} Anyway I hope this board will help other people like it helped me to replace my engine after 18K on it with a new 2000 motor! And yes it runs stronger than ever.

Thanks again to people like ml and bob.pelligro!

------------------
'99 Lariat
5.4 Reg. Cab Styleside
3.55 Lim.Slip
Dynomax Catback Exhaust
K&N Stage 2

Old 12-01-1999, 09:10 PM
thanks for your time in compiling all this information. the wav file was especially
helpful to me in realizing that I probably do not have the slap problem. this site is fantastic, and I personally read the threads 2 times per week. with appreication,

Andrew

Old 12-02-1999, 12:08 AM
(I was asked to place this here from another post for informational purposes.) There has been some discussion to what the dealers have to do to replace a 1999 engine with a 2000 model year engine. There are some changes to the 2000 like a new plastic intake manifold and new exhaust manifolds, as well as different injectors and throttle body. I just went into my dealer this afternoon, they had my old engine out of the truck and the new one in with the 2000 parts still on it. The mechaninc said that Ford came out with an updated listing of what to do to replace these engines. You can use the new parts that come with the engine. everything hooks up fine with some re-routine of wires and hoses, all diagramed by Ford. The only things that the dealer will have to do is to get a 2000 heater hose from the manifold, new exhaust lead pipe studs, and a new ground wire since the old one was grounded to the intake that is now plastic with brass inserts. This is good news for those hoping that the new engine does not have to be broken down. The coolant was'nt in mine so they could not start it when I was in there and they were waiting for the heater hose (did not have it on hand). Supprisingly the hood does not need to come off the truck when they do the swap, it just clears. Also since the battery had to be disconnected and a new engine is in the vehicle, the dealer will re-program the computer to the 2000 codes as well. I will not get the truck back until Friday since I am also waiting for the slip yoke to get lubed with the new lubricant they have and a new rear sliding window. And I know this is not the place but if your window leaks, Ford is replaceing them with the 2000 window, it is all different, look at one at a dealer, the individual panes of glass have frames around them now and it is a totally different module (new internal frame). Sorry for the long post and my spelling. I'll let everyone know what the new engine is like after I get the truck back.

------------------
1999 F150 S.Cab 4x4
Northland Edition,5.4
Off road pkg. Fleetside
Black w/grey int.

Old 12-02-1999, 08:57 PM
has anyone ever heard the slap while in gear? I know the TSB says must be at cold start and in park or nuetral. Intermitently I can hear what sounds like lifter noise on some mornings at about 1250 RPM while it is warming up before the idle goes down. But then I hear louder lifter noise for about 2-3 miles every cold startup while it is in drive at normal speeds when trans is in second and third gear. Of course the service rep couldn't hear anything when I left the truck overnight. I need help. 1999 SC 5.4

Old 12-02-1999, 10:22 PM
My truck "slapped" the worst while in gear. I'm not sure where you heard that it only happens at idle but I would disagree. While rolling a cold truck to a stop the forward motion seemed to push the motor enough to duplicate the sound (automatic tranny.)

[This message has been edited by kkirt1 (edited 12-03-1999).]

Old 12-02-1999, 11:02 PM
kkirt1: When I took it to the dealer the service rep said he could not hear it and it didn't meet the caracteristics of TSB 12798 that knock noise occurs in neutral or park. and noise is not heard with transmission in gear. He was aware of the TSB but said he couldn't hear the noise. I'm going to take it back Monday and try again. Thanks kkirt1

Quick Reply: Piston slap information (summary)