Piston slap information (summary)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-1999, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Per dealer, Ford sent the wrong engine (a FQR) Ford is "air freighting" the 2000 5.4L and should arrive today. All four of my wheels were taken off my truck. I forgot to ask the dealer why they would do that when they are "only" replacing my engine. I will ask them why when I pick it up.

------------------

1999 ORP SC Medium Toreador red 5.4L 17" Centerline Prowler's Deflectashield Magnum K&N dont need anything else-its bad to the bone!

Old 12-16-1999, 05:13 PM
wjt
Talking

Good for you !!! Now only if you can figure out what they were up to with your wheels...

------------------
1999 F150 4x4, wedgewood blue, 5.4l auto, Manick brush guard, Duraliner, KC Hilites, surf rod holders, tinted windows, K&N air filter without airbox, Midas Performance muffler with dual pipes, toolbox, Uniden CB with whip, and now, currently enjoying a new reprieve on life with a 2000 series 5.4L (swapped engine due to Piston Slap).

Old 12-16-1999, 05:29 PM
wjt:
I had my 99 5.4 replaced and my dealer said that they did'nt have to swap the intake and exhaust manifolds, my engine came complete with everything but what is driven by the drive belts. My engine is running great, no noises yet and it runs much smoother that the old one. Did the dealer tell you why they had to swap the parts or did they just do it because they were different than what you had? The only thing my dealer had to do to make mine work was to get a new heater hose and a new ground strap since it can't be grounded to the intake,(plastic).

------------------
1999 F150 S.Cab 4x4
Northland Edition,5.4
Off road pkg. Fleetside
Black w/grey int.

Old 12-17-1999, 07:31 PM
ml
wjt,

My dealer messed up my manifold gasket too. He said it the Ford instruction were somewhat confusing. I wad to wait a couple of days while they tracked one down but otherwise the engine runs like a top!.

Old 12-17-1999, 09:31 PM
wjt
Talking

Bob's F150 (and ML)

I had read your initial post earlier descibing your experiance with the 5.4L swapout. I was surprised that the details concerning my engine swapout did not follow yours, and actually, I was expecting them to.

I was concerned when I went by the dealer one day while they had my truck, I peered inside the service bays and saw my old engine was already removed, with the new intake fastened on it.

Evidently, this may have been the first swapout that my dealer undertook concerning this problem. They had recieved detailed instructions from Ford on how to accomplish it, and they did not deviate from it in any way, other than apparently bungling the intake manifold gasket (like they also did to ML).

I had questioned my service rep at the dealer(bless her heart, she tries so hard) and she finally cornered the mechanic who provided her with a directive from Ford detailing exactly what needed to be done to effect the swapout. I did get a copy of it. From my earlier posts in this thread, I've articulated the particulars of what was swapped out (....I did get new exhaust manifolds though)

Your dealer may have had prior experiance with this, opting to keep your entire engine intact, which would to me, seem to be the more sensible way to do this. Makes more sense to keep as much of the engine complete as possible.

At any rate, my new engine is running very well, despite a slight squeak that is emmanating from one of the pulleys, that will be checked out as soon as my new instrument cluster arrives. ....Oh yes, my electric odometer/speedometer likes to display funny characters with the LEDS at times, sometimes, instead of giving me numbers, it displays YO .... weird. Ford says that the entire instrument display needs to be replaced, I therefore will present my truck once again to the mechanics at Academy Ford.

Build date on my new 5.4L is 11/27/99, right off of the sticker displayed on the driver's side valve cover.

-kindest regards

------------------
1999 F150 4x4, wedgewood blue, 5.4l auto, Manick brush guard, Duraliner, KC Hilites, surf rod holders, tinted windows, K&N air filter without airbox, Midas Performance muffler with dual pipes, toolbox, Uniden CB with whip, and now, currently enjoying a new reprieve on life with a 2000 series 5.4L (swapped engine due to Piston Slap).

Old 12-17-1999, 10:45 PM
wjt: Do you have access to a scanner. I would love to see Ford's directions on how to shoe horn a new 5.4 in an F150.

Old 12-18-1999, 12:32 AM
Went by the dealer tonight and saw that they had just the engine in, nothing else. It was up on a hoist with the front bumper at eye level. I peered in from underneath and saw a sticker on the FRONT of the block that said "12-13-99". Hopefully this motor was just built NEW on that date and not REBUILT on that date. Truck was up too high to see if a FQR sticker was on the valve cover. 12-13-99 would be pretty fresh, thats for sure!

------------------

1999 ORP SC Medium Toreador red 5.4L 17" Centerline Prowler's Deflectashield Magnum K&N dont need anything else-its bad to the bone!

Old 12-18-1999, 05:43 AM
wjt
Talking

kkirt1,

I'll attempt to find someone with a scanner, and make the engine swap directive available through email, stay tuned....

-kindest regards

------------------

Old 12-19-1999, 03:01 PM
Regarding 1999 5.4L vs early 5.4L horsepower outputs.
Does anyone have any input on this matter?
How much differece is there with the new 5.4 from the 97/98 5.4 ?
The power is up for the 99's but is there that much difference anyone?

Old 12-20-1999, 08:23 PM
Thumbs up

Hey guys, still no baby yet! but i did take in my truck for a cold start. Service writer heard slap, real light at 30 degress, he said its ashame to put a new motor in for such a light noise. I said what! its light now, what about a year from now or 6 months. He is calling the Ford hotline to see what they suggest. Also just though i would let you know that i personally know someone with an F150 99' that has the slap also. He is getting his motor some time next week. It really slaps loud. I will keep you posted on Fords reply.

By the way, some one kill that monkey!!

------------------
98 X EB no mods.
Family Mobile

Old 12-20-1999, 11:21 PM
Finally got my 1999 5.4L truck back after 3 weeks in the shop. I am not sure if my engine had the piston slap problem, but decided to post on this topic as it relates to engine swaps. My problem was a blown engine (7800 miles). Apparently, the spark plug broke, and the end of the plug went into the cylinder, and of course, through the piston.

I received a new 2000 engine; however, it has the intake manifold from my 1999 engine. The service manager told me that there was a directive from Ford stating the installation procedure.

At this point (100 miles on the new engine), I am pleased (no oil/coolant leaks). However, I do have a squeaky pulley and a faint whistle under acceleration. I am going to have the dealership resolve those problems at the next oil change.

This is the first Ford product that I have purchased, and I will have to say that the Quality is Job 1 motto has NOT sat well with me. Maybe my incident was a rarity, but how long will it be before my doors crack, and the other known problems appear. Only time will tell.

------------------
1999 F150 Lariat SC, Flareside, 5.4L

Old 12-22-1999, 05:40 AM
Got my truck back last night. Runs smooth! Build date for engine is 12/13/99. They transplanted the intake manifold from the original motor. I commend my dealer for the great service they have given me. Absolutely no hassle at all. Glad its over with!

------------------

Old 12-24-1999, 10:22 AM
I heard some interesting stuff from a buddy of mine yesterday during a Goose hunt! He is a city driver for one of the big shipping companies here in town. He said in the last several weeks he has delivered no less than eight enigines to local dealerships. Sure does sound like Ford is stepping up the piston slap fix pace!

Old 12-24-1999, 01:14 PM
rcn
Question

I've read alot about the piston slap issue related to the 5.4 in the F150. However, I've seen little about the issue in relation to 5.4 Expeditions and F250 Superduties. Have those vehicles with the 5.4 experienced similar problems?

Old 12-30-1999, 10:08 PM
Question

Okay, time to start the long haul to a new engine. Anyone done a 5.4 piston slap swap in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area? I need a sympathetic dealer who can help me argue with the Carmax warranty people.

Quick Reply: Piston slap information (summary)