Piston slap information (summary)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-1999, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I do not know much about the new line of FORD engines as I do the old, but from the descriptions I'm hearing, this sounds like it could be the lifters. That is very normal, no?

Old 01-03-2000, 01:26 AM
I just had my engine replaced for piston slap. I am suspicious weather ir not it is a new or remanufactured engine.

On the heads, there is a label that says; "NEW_DOWEL 5.4 Reg. Duty 19:43 B Mach
5-19-99 8656" and on the passenger side rockercover is says;"ke881aa Ford Windsor Ont. Canada 991322211 433 5.4 5-12-99"

I have 4 questions I need help with:
Is this a remanufactured engine or a new one?

Is this a Heavy Duty Certified Engine, as is original on a Superduty?

If this is a new engine, is it a 99 or a 2000?

The engine came complete on a pallet from throttle body to oil pan. I saw it before they put it in, did not see the remanufactured label but I am suspect because of the build date. The intake manifold is metal, but there is a plastic box under it, what is the real difference between a 99 and a 2000 engine?

Thanks for your help - It really is a great truck even if I had to use pedal power. :-)

99 F250 Superduty 4x4 Supercab Longbed 5.4 5 SPD manual 4.10 Limited Slip Manufactur date 1/1/99

Old 01-03-2000, 05:35 PM
Question

Deanwa:
That build date seems strange. I had my 2000 engine installed last month with a build date 11-2-99. I would have the service department check it out if you trust them. The difference from the 99 to 2000 engine is that the 2000 has a plastic intake manifold, new shaped exhaust manifolds. Since your truck is a 99 it should get a NEW 2000 engine. At least that is what I have been told. Unless there is enough cores out there now that have been rebuilt?? Anyway I would check it out to ease your mind.

------------------
1999 F150 S.Cab 4x4
Northland Edition,5.4
Off road pkg. Fleetside
Black w/grey int.

Old 01-03-2000, 09:33 PM
Thumbs down

Well all, received my new engine about 2 weeks ago and all went well for the first 500 miles. Then the knock returned. Have no idea why this is the case, but it is as bad as it has ever been. Dissatisfied would be to pleasant a word to use in this situation. I will let you all know how the next trip to ford goes. Piston slap fixed, piston slap returned. Anyone else experience this?

Ender sends....

------------------
1999 F150 S/C 5.4L ORP, AMAZON GREEN, WESTIN NERF'S, K&N FILTERS, KENWOOD 7011 W/ INFINITY KAPPA SPEAKERS

Old 01-03-2000, 10:51 PM
Thank you F-150 Online. As a result of this site, I was made aware of the infamous piston slap. Just took my '97 in to the dealer one day before my warranty expired & sure enough, the dealer has a FQR on order for me. Also getting new rear bumper, rear slider, exhaust changeover, new hubcap, washers fixed, & new door light switch. Hope all goes well. Will let know after truck is in.

Old 01-17-2000, 09:35 PM
F150 Piston slap. I have a 97 F150 4.6L that started to tap late last spring. When weather got cool had dealer check vehicle when cold. They contacted Ford and were authorized to get a replacement engine. Engine was installed last week. Now the story gets sad.
When I went to pick up truck on Friday was informed that upon startup found #6 plug loose, and there was oil on #5 and #8. Engine has bad miss at idle and low speeds, probably at high speed also. The origional engine ran well except for the tapping at cold startup. The rebuilt engine from Windsor does not do much as a flag bearer for Fords slogan, "Quality is Job #1". The dealer has another truck with a defective rebuilt engine that has been waiting for Windsor to respond for 10 days. I tried calling Ford's contact line and that wasn't a pleasant experience. I will post more as the saga continues.

Thanks much for a great "site". The problem had been diagnosed before I found you, but the pool of information has been terrific.

tednflo.

Old 01-30-2000, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Time to move ml's excellent post on piston slap to page one. Topic seems to be on the burner again.

---------------------------------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

Old 01-31-2000, 12:49 AM
Truck is out of shop with new FQR engine. Everything seems to be just fine. Was very pleased with the dealership here. My last problem of the door cracks will be taken care of when they can get it in with a fix on it.

Old 01-31-2000, 02:38 PM
Angry

I started my truck this morning and heard "the noise", a sound very similar to the PS wav file I found on this site. It continued to make the tapping sound when I drove off down the street. The check engine light came on and has not gone off. The sound stopped after about 2 or 3 minutes. Has anyone with PS had their engine light come on?

------------------
'97 F150 XLT XCab, 4.6L, 4x4, Red as Rita's Rooster, Towing Pkg, 17 inch wheels, Tonneau Cover, Captain chairs, CD Changer. Two high performance, freeflow booster seats in back for mother's little truckers.

HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA.....Roll Tide!

Old 02-08-2000, 02:35 PM
I had my '98 F-150 5.4 engine replaced in December 99, 3000 miles ago, under the Mfg. Ext. Svc. I had 52,835 miles on the engine when replaced without any problems. The new engine has some lifter noise, whines a lot, and sounds like a diesel. I'm taking it in to get the first oil change done and to address the problems.
Just thought I would add my .02 worth.

------------------
Regards,
Andy
Personal Aircraft Photography
"Sortie City"
www.sortiecity.com
From F-14's, F-16's and F-18's to the F-22 and many in between.
Dobbins ARB- Marietta, Ga.
Amateur Radio: KG4FDK

Old 02-10-2000, 01:32 PM
Angry

Damn!

I read this entire thread before lunch and just came back from eating. I have noticed this problem before and had no real clue as to what it was. On the way back inside I checked my VIN and the engine was built in Ontario !!

My baby is a 97 4x4 4.6l x/cab.

Now I need to decide if I want to fight Ford Motor Company on this or pray they are accurate when saying the PS does not harm the engine!

------------------
Warren's Web Page
\/\/arren B
"It showed us that we have to care for each other, because if we don't, who will?"
- Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Old 02-10-2000, 01:37 PM
Wait!

I did have a clue about this. A few years ago I took her into the dealer for some maintenance and reported the problem to the guy! He said he would check up on it but I cannot remember the outcome. I think he said I should switch to an higher octane fuel or some such s##t!!

I may have something here. If I can find the receipt where they misinformed me of the problem I may have a case!

Yippe-kay-ya!

------------------
Warren's Web Page
\/\/arren B
"It showed us that we have to care for each other, because if we don't, who will?"
- Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Old 02-28-2000, 05:16 PM
Exclamation

======================================
28 FEB 2,000

1. Does anyone know whether Mustangs are
affected?

2. It IS true that piston slap motors
MAY last a very long time without
correction, but DO consider these two
sub-points:
2. A. You can't RELY on a piston-slapper
to stay together as long as it would
otherwise, and
2. B. Piston-slappers will generally wind up
with a higher emissions profile later, even
if that's not the case right away. This is
due to the fact that more-and-more blow-by
will start getting by the rings as everything
wears, and more-and-more oil will be left on
the cylinder walls as the pistons rock more
due to that same wear. Both of these
conditions lead to a higher emissions
profile later. Ford is, perhaps, being so
"generous" in order to avoid massive fines
and a public-relations nightmare over this
emissions stuff.

3. If you have such an engine, be sure to
get it fixed by Ford in order to avoid
problems later when the warranty repair
period is over. Do not think you can just
plan to trade it later and not worry -- new
laws may be passed to hand serious liablity
back to those ignore "needed" repair/service.
If you think emissions laws are tough now,
wait until you see what's planned. There are
articles published here-abouts to the effect
that the planning is, for a time not yet
specified, to start REQUIRING the scrapping
of all vehicles older than 2005 models -- it
may happen as early as 2015, if the public
continues to roll-over and play dead for
this lunacy.

------------------
LOGICALMARTIAN

Old 02-28-2000, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

I have read similar articles...and I do think MUCH tougher standards are coming. Why do you think our firearms/legal rights are ever so slowly being restricted and taken away by the government. This is not fantasy..this is NOW! "For the good of the children, for the environemnt"..etc....give me a break!

We have a very interesting future ahead of us...not for the better I am afraid.

<No one> will 'tell me' to junk a perfectly good vehicle....thanks for the TRAINING UNCLE SAM.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

Old 03-01-2000, 03:38 PM
I just read the latest informantion on the Piston Slap problem which occurs in some F-150's. I have a 1994 F-150, 4 x 2 with a 5.0 L V8 engine. I have taken meticulous care of the truck since I got it and now at only 97,000 miles I believe I have thrown a rod. Could anyone tell me if this piston slap problem occured in the 1994 F-150 series? I always thought that if you took good care of a Ford engine they would run 150,000 miles easy. Also, if the bottom end is shot like my mechanic thinks it might be, is there any way not to get raked over the coals for 3 to 4 thousand on a new motor? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Piston slap information (summary)