Piston slap information (summary)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2001, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally noticed p/slap when at 13,000km.
Received brand spanking new engine at 32.000km for infamous piston slap. It has a mfg date of 06/04/99. At roughly 45,000km(13,000km engine only) the new one has slap which was verified and documented by dealer. They would not do anything because mfg date was after so called fix date.It also had a small oil leak that would appear at that time to be comeing from rear main seal. It now has 82,000km(50,000km engine only) still has piston slap( when cold if you listen for it) and has a definite oil leak from the passenger side head gasket at the back near the fire wall. Other than this I could not complain about this truck it is excellent, and the only solution I see in the future is to fix this engine myself then I am assured and will know exactly what is inside.Its just a shame that FORD is legally allowed to use their customers as guinea pigs for new designs.

------------------

Old 01-12-2001, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ThePyroManiacKid,

About your new Superchip..sorry to say..you will most likely need to have it reflashed like I did. I pulled my new Superchip out of my Oct 2000 F-150 (code AT31) and sent it to Mike at Superchips to be reflashed to my new code (I can't remember). It was no problem at all...and everything works great. Hopefully you did buy it from Mike at Performance Products..then this service is *FREE*.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 01-14-2001, 04:20 AM
of course i bought it from mike
if it wasnt for him i wouldnt of ever got a chip
then i would have this new shifting that i love so much

oh yah went through my first full tank where i tested mileage on the chip
still got 12mpg like always
but that is with me gunning a little bit more than usual

so im happy

------------------
1999 F-150 Supercab Styleside Lariat 5.4L V8 3.55LS gears
Tan Leather Seats Front/Back
Captain Chairs in front
Tan Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Remote Entry
Signal Mirrors

Navigator Front End
Factory 2tone Red on top of Gold
Metallic Flake Ghost Flames in the gold
18inch Wheels
Lowered 2/3
Rhino Bedliner
Euro "Atezza" Tail Lights

Stock CD player
Rockford Fosgate Punch 250a Amplifier
2 RF Punch DXL 8inch Subwoofers
2 Kenwood Midranges (in the front doors)

K&N "Drop In" Filter
Flowmasters

Within the next Month: Superchip, 3/4 drop (already got the money just need to order them)

By my 17th birthday (March 23rd): White Face Guages, HOPEFULLY A SUPERCHARGER PACKAGE

Some Quick Photos
www.geocities.com/thepyromaniackid

Things That Have Gone Wrong So Far:
Burnt Anti-Freeze Smell
The Anti-Freeze seems to leaking but the fluid level hasn't gone done any
This has Caused a Coil to go out
The passenger side Door-Lock went out
The driver side Door-Lock went out
Muth Signal Mirrors Reflective Backing Cracked All To Hell

Fixed under warranty: Coil, Passenger Side Door-Lock
Will be Fixed under warranty: Driver Side Door-Lock, Muth Signal Mirrors
(Wonder what the Ford House will say when I show up with a Lincoln Truck for warranty work)

Can't FInd The Anti-Freeze Leak (?)
Tried putting in AlumniSeal and hasn't got hot enough to see if it still has the
Burnt Anit-Freeze Smell

Old 01-14-2001, 09:54 AM
mcole - u are probably right i should have been an enginer as i would not have cheaped out and put in hyperutectic pisons instead of forged pieces, ask the guys with the cobra mustangs how they handle the 6800 rpm redline durring continous runs. The bottom line is that the engine is still a good design (in theory that is) 2001 lightning 380 hp , only change is forged pistons.

cold expy - i agree there is also a lot of other factors besides stroke, like rod ratio, postion of piston pin, and ford did change the pistion pin location to an offset design to reduce the major thrust angle. ( chev has done this for years too)

Old 01-14-2001, 09:09 PM
>>blackF150<< You hit it on the head, I'm glad you know what I'm referring too. We currently have a 4.6l and are waiting for a 5.4l. We are going to strip them down and compare all components to the factory build sheet and design modification sub. 2 (a). Note that the 4.6l has been replaced due to piston slap!!

Old 01-15-2001, 01:04 AM
As far as the piston slap issue goes, those who have said this is not a new problem are correct. Me and my X purchased a 302 that suffered from this problem. The engine had next to no miles on it and we got it for a song (complete). It had come out of a Lincoln, and Lincoln owners didn't like the sound.

This engine had over 100,000 miles on it the last I spoke to my X. This is with a supercharger, and in a Ranger 4x4 p/u. As we had been told would happen(from a Ford Tech), the engine has been completely trouble free. It uses no oil, and has always made great power. The only downside is the slight noise when cold. That I can live with.

I can understand people being upset about noise in new engines..... and in expensive vehicles. However, based on personal experience, and conversations with others in my field (I am a partner in an auto repair shop), I have not heard of one failure of an engine due to this annoyance.

I realize that is little comfort...... but hopefully it is some.

------------------
Gloria
94 Lightning, daily driver
93 EB Explorer, 1000 RTI

Old 01-18-2001, 10:31 AM
Question

I have attempted to get my PS documented but the local dealership in san diego didn't seem to know what I was talking about. He read the TSB's reguarding PS but he still didn't seem to know what he is looking for. CAN ANYONE INFORM ME OF A DEALERSHIP THAT HAS EXPERANCE IN PS IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA? Please help!!!

1998 F-150 XLT 4x4
5.4L V8
4EOD Trans
3.73 ratio limited slip
K&N Intake (Custom made)
Leer Cab high Shell
smitty bars
Goodyear Wrangler ATX tires
Alpine CVA-1000 System monitor/controller
Alpine ERA-G320 Sound field processor
Alpine 12 disk CD Changer
Three Kicker 40ss amplifiers and Kicker X100s amplifier
Rino-lining

[This message has been edited by ecagrev (edited 01-18-2001).]

Old 01-29-2001, 07:52 AM
I don't know if others have replied recently, but I own a 2000 F-150 XLT 4x4 with the 5.4 V8 and mine was just diagnosed with Piston Slap three days ago (1/26/01). I have 19,000 miles on my truck. The dealership said that they would replace the engine, but then they called Ford to get approval or whatever and Ford is NO LONGER REPLACING ENGINES for this problem. In fact, their position on this now is that it is NORMAL behavior for this engine and they will do nothing about it! I am livid. Ford will be hearing from me until they fix it or replace it and I won't go away. This will also be the last Ford I ever purchase.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ml:
Everything you always wanted to know about piston slap…

The good news is that we are finally getting hard facts on the piston slap issue and Ford is replacing engines. Some of us have waited almost 2 years for this day and some of us have battles yet to be won. There seems to be new members who are concerned with or who have PS joining this board every day but unfortunately all this good information is scattered throughout the over 25 threads dealing with this issue, posted in the last 30 days alone. In order to better inform existing members and those yet to join, I have compiled and summarized details as reported by F-150 Online members (from these threads), as well as from members of other Ford based BBs, Fords own TSB's, my dealer and from my own personal experience with PS. Please do not hesitate to post updates to this thread or point out inaccuracies that may exist.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the members who have contributed to this topic. I have learned a great deal from your posts. I would also like to thank F-150 Online for providing us with this forum where we can share our thoughts and our knowledge! Here goes…

What causes piston slap?

Ř According to Ford, the noise is a result of "piston to bore clearance" issues

Will it affect the expected life of my engine?

Ř Ford claims that the problem will not affect the life of the engine. They claim they have thoroughly tested engines with PS ("hundreds of thousands of miles" according to one source) since the issue arose and have had no failures. One F-150 member has over 100,000 miles on his PS engine and it works just fine. No failures from PS have been reported by members and Ford claims they have had none either.

What engines does it affect?

Ř It has been estimated that anywhere between (1 in 500) and (1in 2000) engines will develop this problem

Ř Only 4.6, 5.4 and 6.8L engines built in Windsor, Canada have the problem.
Ř All 5.4 and 6.8L engines are built in Windsor Canada
Ř 4.6L engines built in Romeo Michigan do NOT have PS

How can I tell where my engine is made?

Ř All 5.4 and 6.8L engines are built in Windsor Canada
Ř 4.6L engines are built in Windsor or Romeo
Ř If the 8th position in your VIN is a "6" then your 4.6L engine was built in Windsor, Canada
Ř If the 8th position in your VIN is a "W" then your 4.6L engine was built in Romeo, Michigan
Ř You can also look at the label on the valve cover (driver's side of your engine bay). It will tell you where your engine was made (Windsor or Romeo), as well as the build date.

What is the likelihood of getting piston slap?

Ř It has been estimated that anywhere between (1 in 500) and (1in 2000) 97-99 engines will develop PS Source: member

How long does it take for PS to show up in my engine?

Ř Very often it shows up in the first few months of operation (as early as 3 weeks) , and less than 20,000 miles, however it has shown up/ been diagnosed at late as 28,000 miles

When does it occur, What does it sound like, and How long does it last?

Ř It occurs on engine start up, anytime after the engine has cooled down from its normal operating temperature. It is most pronounced after sitting over night when temperatures generally are the lowest and the engine has had ample time to cool down.
Ř To me it sounds like the engine is not getting any oil. You can describe it as a ticking, tapping or a knocking noise. Some describe it as similar to the sound a diesel engine makes. It all depends on how loud it gets, some engines are much louder than others. In my case and in others, it can sound so loud your neighbors will notice it, while in others the noise is much less noticeable, similar to a mild lifter noise. If you would like to hear a sample, go to: http://www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index.html and select F150 garage Tech

Ř In most cases the noise lasts less than a minute, very often only 10-15 seconds
Ř It can last longer, as much as 5 minutes, particularly if it's cold outside
Ř It goes away when your engine warms up

How do I know I have it for sure?

Ř Take it to your dealer. He is the only one who can "diagnose" the problem for certain. You have to be a little careful here because not all dealers know of the problem. Since the problem is relatively rare, some dealers have not had a vehicle with this problem or they have, and have simply not recognized it as PS. With the knowledge you have gained here, you should be able to help them get up to date on the problem. If all else fails, go to another dealer and get a second opinion.
Ř It may NOT be piston slap. See "What else could it be if it is not piston slap?" further on down the page

What else could it be if it is not piston slap?

Ř One of the most common causes of engine noise comes f rom the use of a poorly designed or incorrect oil filters. With these engines you must use a filter with an anti-drainback valve, preferably one which is made of silicone for durability and flexibility. If you use a filter without this type of valve, oil can drain out of the filter and on start up you get lifter rattle which is both annoying and potentially damaging to your engine. Always buy an S designated filter. In the opinion of some members, it was felt that Motorcraft 820S filters from Ford (made by Purolator) or Purolator branded filters among others are very good, while Fram filters should probably be avoided.

What fix has Ford developed to eliminate PS knock?

Ř If your vehicle is still under warranty, Ford will replace your engine at no charge;
Ř 99 Model year vehicles will receive a brand new 2000 engine
Ř 97-98 Model year vehicles will receive an FQR (remanufactured) engine

What is an FQR engine?

Remember, only 97-98 owners get FQR engines, 99s get new ones.

Ř Ford has set up a line(s) in Windsor to remanufacture replacement engines for 97-98 vehicles. When the engine arrives at your dealer, it will have a product number on it identifying it as an FQR engine. Surprisingly, mine looked brand new (without the pitting you sometimes see on remanufactured engines). The FQR comes as a long block assembly with heads, cams, valve covers, water pump, plugs etc It did not have certain parts such as an intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, throttle body assembly, power steering pump alternator or injectors, these parts will be reused from your old engine.

Ř It is rumored that because of the considerable number of engines to be remanufactured, Ford is using many brand new engine parts, including new blocks in some cases. How accurate this is, is anybody's guess however my FQR looked absolutely pristine. Ford claims the FQR engines contain the newly reengineered components, so PS should not recur.

Is there any warranty on the replacement engines?

Ř Replacement engines come with a 1 year, 12,000 mile warranty. I do recall one post claiming engines made after Oct 01 will have a 2 year 24, 000 mile warranty. But I can't confirm this by my dealer. Can anyone confirm a 2 year warranty?

Where can I get a copy of the TSBs on piston slap?

To see TSB's 12798 and 12799;

Ř See: http://pages.prodigy.net/castines/TS...on%20Slap).doc

Ř Apparently there are 2 newer TSBs out, #s 13331 and 13332 which I have not yet seen. Does anyone have them?

When did they fix the problem on newly manufactured trucks?

Ř New engines built after April 15, 1999 have been reengineered to eliminate the slap problem. This means that some of the 99s and all of the 2000s should be free of PS. To determine your engine manufacture date, look at the label on the valve cover (driver's side of your engine bay). It will also tell you where the engine was made. (In the case of 4.6L engines either Windsor or Romeo). FYI, your vehicle build date is listed on the drivers side door frame. This date is usually close to your engine build date.

Are owners happy with their replacement engines?

Ř Most owners have been pleased with their replacement engines ( both FQR and new), although some have had minor problems, in one case an oil leak, one or two encountered strange popping noises coming from their exhaust and in one case the engine had to be sent back and another one ordered. The member with the most miles reporting so far is 5,000

If I am over my warranty, will Ford fix it anyway? and what about if I have extended warranty?

Ř Generally speaking those with no warranty left have been refused a FREE replacement engine from Ford. (see; Exceptions ) While this is surely unfair to OOW owners, particularly since it took Ford over 2 years to come up with a fix, it is typical of all auto manufacturers to "slam the door" when your miles are up. Please let me know if anyone has been successful in an out of warranty situation so others can copy their strategy.
Ř I know of a situation which is currently being diagnosed, where the owner has Extended Ford warranty. Her dealer is currently giving her the "run-a-round" on the issue, but in this case it sounds like her dealer needs to get up to speed on the issue first. I will keep you informed. If anyone else has been successful in obtaining a replacement engine under an Extended Warranty plan, please let us know.
Ř Exceptions: I had my engine replaced after my warranty expired because my dealer had the good sense to keep a work order "open" on the problem. When Ford started shipping replacement engines, the FQR for my 97 Expedition was charged to that work order. List member "kkirt1"also reported getting an FQR engine after warranty, at 49K miles. I am uncertain as to how this arose however I seem to remember "arm wrestling with the service manager"…just kidding, I think he went through some type of dispute resolution board. I am sure he would be happy to provide details.

Is there anything that I can do, other than replacing my engine to fix the knock?

Ř Some owners, myself included, have been able to eliminate (or significantly reduce) start up noise by switching to Mobile 1 synthetic oil. Be careful to use a filter made for synthetics with an anti drain back valve (S type). This will not fix the piston slap problem, but what you can't hear…

</font>

Old 01-29-2001, 01:24 PM
Unhappy

to ml I have a 5.4 build date 4-19-99 and still have p/s problem been to two ford dealers have given me run around over enginenoise I,ve been reading all post on this site very happy to know that I,m the only one with this problem could this ,updated engine be flawed with same piston slap noise. ps excuse my spelling.

Old 01-29-2001, 01:29 PM
How does the dealership diagnose piston slap,do they have drop the oil pan? Or is done just by listening to the knock on cold start up. I have 2000 Exp. 5.4 that knocks on cold start up 20k miles. Thanks...

[This message has been edited by Nicholas (edited 01-29-2001).]

Old 01-30-2001, 05:35 PM
My dealer told me that he has no way of checking, It his recommandation to Ford to replace the engine. I have not gotten one yet , as my engine was built in juune of 99

Old 02-03-2001, 07:14 PM
The dealer will listen to the engine if it is in fact PS, you have a choice: keep the engine(because Ford says it will not do any harm)or you can have a new engine put in. Ypur choice. Be prepared for a fight!!!

Old 02-22-2001, 12:28 AM
Thumbs up

If anyone in the San Diego area having trouble with their piston slap problem PLEASE try Pearson Ford. Joe in service got my truck in and had it over night anbd by noon the next day I was telling him to go ahead with ording the new engine. I will have to wait up to 2 months before the new FQR engine to arrive. I also showed him the Door cracks in my truck and (with the General Manager) I showed him the other trucks that have the same problem. Out of 33 trucks (mostly new) 24 of them had cracks starting to show or where full-blown cracks. I was asked if I wanted a job there in the service dept. I guess that armed with FORD TSB's and other data Amazing things can happen. I declined the offer for the job. GOOD LUCK!!

------------------

Old 02-22-2001, 03:23 PM
Exclamation

Sorry to burst any bubbles but my 2000 built in late September of 99' has an engine built 8/19/99. And it has the famous piston slap of the earlier built engines. So, that kind of shoots the "2000 model trucks don't have that problem" saying out of the saddle!!!!

------------------
2000 SuperCab 4x4 XLT
Trailer Towing Pkg.
Off-Road Pkg.
Skid Plates
Red/Gold
Westin Nerf Bars
5.4 The Ole' Slapper
All Pwr Options Ever Invented!!

Old 02-23-2001, 12:11 AM
As far as diagnosing piston-slap:
Not sure if this will work, but an old trick to find a trouble cylinder that was making noise (wrist-pins, cracked piston (I think), etc) was to start the engine and pull a plug wire. With the cylinder no longer under "load" it would make considerably less sound. Of course this is assuming that only a few cylinders are having trouble and not all of them!!!!
It may work with piston-slap also.

Quick Reply: Piston slap information (summary)