Piston slap information (summary)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001, 02:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My Ford Dealer just called to tell me that they ordered a new engine because of piston slap. I took my truck in to find out what the squeak was under the hood (serpentine belt). To my surprise, the engine will be in next week and installed... (I would like to see that, this dealership is not the quickest in the world)

Had a new computer put in last October. Dealership said it would be in at the dealership in a couple days. It took them two weeks to get it. It took Mike a week to reprogram my Superchip.... Thanks Mike!!!

------------------
Todd in Washington

'99 F150 4x4 Lariat, SuperCab, (Amazon Green/Harvest Gold), Off-Road Pkg, 5.4L V-8, 3.73LS, Towing Pkg, and every other option possible... K&N filter, SuperChip (Love it!!), Gibson Split-rear, Ventvisor Vents, Bugflector II, SnugTop X-Vison Cap, Westin Nerf Bars, and Herculiner...

Future Mods: Smittybilt Outland Grill Guard, Lund Moonvisor, and Edelbrock IAS shocks

Old 03-12-2001, 10:46 AM
Thanks to this site, I learned why my '99 5.4 150 Lariat(26,000mi) sounds so horrible on cold starts. I parked it overnight at the dealership and got the , service rep, shop mgr, service mgr and two mechanics to listen to it start up on a cold morning.
Upon starting, they all looked at each other nodding their heads. A mechanic said "I hear some belt noise." but the shop mgr said, "I hear the belt,but I also hear the 5.4." He then said "Write it up" and started walking away. The service rep started writing and I asked him if this means I get a new engine. He said yes.
I caught up wiht the shop mgr and the service mgr and asked if I am gettng a new engine. Shop mgr's reply was, "Yes, it is a Ford FQR"and kept walking. I was not sure what FQR meant, so I said thanks.
I returned to this site and have now learned that FQR is NOT NEW. I called the "F150 Insider" that marketing ploy that was introduced with such fanfare. "Darrell" who took my call,has never said he knows what I am talking about when I mention, "piston slap" but when I told him I think I should get a NEW engine and not FQR, he immediately knew what to say. He said "Nearly all of those are replaced with an FQR and there is nothing I can do for you, my hands are tied on that issue." Remember, this is the same guy who was not even familiar with PS when I first spoke to him a few weeks ago.

The dealership called and they have my FQR ready to install.
I am reluctant to put the FQR in for at least two reasons: 1) I paid for a new engine, and I should get a new engine free of defects and 2)from what I have read, FQR may not be any better than what I have.

So, I am planning to fight for the new engine. They have already admitted the engine needs replacing, so we are only arguing about what to replace it with.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE OR EXPERIENCE IN THIS REGARD? Thanks very much.

Old 03-12-2001, 09:58 PM
jgredtruck

I am in the same situation as you are. I told them no on the FQR. The warrenty is only 2/24 on the FRQ. I told them if it's as good as new, then stand behind it like new. The problem is the FQR is rebuilt to originals specs, duh, there is a problem with the original specs. I want to know it's fixed not just replaced, and have the problem again in 24,001 miles. I filed a complaint with the Dispute resolution Board, will see what happens. The dealer has been hassling me to bring it in now or they won't fix it later(had my chance)haha will see about that. Don't give up until your satisfied, your the customer. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2001, 05:12 PM
Exclamation

I just wanted to let everyone here know about my situation. I have a 99 Ford Expedition with this imfamous piston slap. I called 3 dealerships (including the one where I bought ths truck) and only 1 said they were replacing engines. The dealership that sold me the truck is not doing that. The service manager personally told me that Ford told them it is normal and okay to have the engine piston slap! Needless to say I am not accepting this option. I have found a dealer that will replace the engine for me. This may pose another problem as my truck has 38000 miles on it. So it is 2000 miles over warranty. Fortunate for me I did by an extended warranty but it is not the Ford ESP one. It is called Easy Care and I am upset that my dealer didn't tell me that it was NOT Ford ESP. At any rate I am curious to see if they will pay for a new engine. It is a bumper to bumper warranty so hopefully it will. I will let everyone here know what happens as I work towards getting this resolved.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ml:
Everything you always wanted to know about piston slap…

The good news is that we are finally getting hard facts on the piston slap issue and Ford is replacing engines. Some of us have waited almost 2 years for this day and some of us have battles yet to be won. There seems to be new members who are concerned with or who have PS joining this board every day but unfortunately all this good information is scattered throughout the over 25 threads dealing with this issue, posted in the last 30 days alone. In order to better inform existing members and those yet to join, I have compiled and summarized details as reported by F-150 Online members (from these threads), as well as from members of other Ford based BBs, Fords own TSB's, my dealer and from my own personal experience with PS. Please do not hesitate to post updates to this thread or point out inaccuracies that may exist.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the members who have contributed to this topic. I have learned a great deal from your posts. I would also like to thank F-150 Online for providing us with this forum where we can share our thoughts and our knowledge! Here goes…

What causes piston slap?

Ø According to Ford, the noise is a result of "piston to bore clearance" issues

Will it affect the expected life of my engine?

Ø Ford claims that the problem will not affect the life of the engine. They claim they have thoroughly tested engines with PS ("hundreds of thousands of miles" according to one source) since the issue arose and have had no failures. One F-150 member has over 100,000 miles on his PS engine and it works just fine. No failures from PS have been reported by members and Ford claims they have had none either.

What engines does it affect?

Ø It has been estimated that anywhere between (1 in 500) and (1in 2000) engines will develop this problem

Ø Only 4.6, 5.4 and 6.8L engines built in Windsor, Canada have the problem.
Ø All 5.4 and 6.8L engines are built in Windsor Canada
Ø 4.6L engines built in Romeo Michigan do NOT have PS

How can I tell where my engine is made?

Ø 4.6L engines are built in Windsor or Romeo
Ø If the 8th position in your VIN is a "6" then your 4.6L engine was built in Windsor, Canada
Ø If the 8th position in your VIN is a "W" then your 4.6L engine was built in Romeo, Michigan
Ø You can also look at the label on the valve cover (driver's side of your engine bay). It will tell you where your engine was made (Windsor or Romeo), as well as the build date.

What is the likelihood of getting piston slap?

Ø It has been estimated that anywhere between (1 in 500) and (1in 2000) 97-99 engines will develop PS Source: member

How long does it take for PS to show up in my engine?

Ø Very often it shows up in the first few months of operation (as early as 3 weeks) , and less than 20,000 miles, however it has shown up/ been diagnosed at late as 28,000 miles

When does it occur, What does it sound like, and How long does it last?

Ø It occurs on engine start up, anytime after the engine has cooled down from its normal operating temperature. It is most pronounced after sitting over night when temperatures generally are the lowest and the engine has had ample time to cool down.
Ø To me it sounds like the engine is not getting any oil. You can describe it as a ticking, tapping or a knocking noise. Some describe it as similar to the sound a diesel engine makes. It all depends on how loud it gets, some engines are much louder than others. In my case and in others, it can sound so loud your neighbors will notice it, while in others the noise is much less noticeable, similar to a mild lifter noise. If you would like to hear a sample, go to: http://www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index.html and select F150 garage Tech

Ø In most cases the noise lasts less than a minute, very often only 10-15 seconds
Ø It can last longer, as much as 5 minutes, particularly if it's cold outside
Ø It goes away when your engine warms up

How do I know I have it for sure?

Ø Take it to your dealer. He is the only one who can "diagnose" the problem for certain. You have to be a little careful here because not all dealers know of the problem. Since the problem is relatively rare, some dealers have not had a vehicle with this problem or they have, and have simply not recognized it as PS. With the knowledge you have gained here, you should be able to help them get up to date on the problem. If all else fails, go to another dealer and get a second opinion.
Ø It may NOT be piston slap. See "What else could it be if it is not piston slap?" further on down the page

What else could it be if it is not piston slap?

Ø One of the most common causes of engine noise comes f rom the use of a poorly designed or incorrect oil filters. With these engines you must use a filter with an anti-drainback valve, preferably one which is made of silicone for durability and flexibility. If you use a filter without this type of valve, oil can drain out of the filter and on start up you get lifter rattle which is both annoying and potentially damaging to your engine. Always buy an S designated filter. In the opinion of some members, it was felt that Motorcraft 820S filters from Ford (made by Purolator) or Purolator branded filters among others are very good, while Fram filters should probably be avoided.

What fix has Ford developed to eliminate PS knock?

Ø If your vehicle is still under warranty, Ford will replace your engine at no charge;
Ø 99 Model year vehicles will receive a brand new 2000 engine
Ø 97-98 Model year vehicles will receive an FQR (remanufactured) engine

What is an FQR engine?

Remember, only 97-98 owners get FQR engines, 99s get new ones.

Ø Ford has set up a line(s) in Windsor to remanufacture replacement engines for 97-98 vehicles. When the engine arrives at your dealer, it will have a product number on it identifying it as an FQR engine. Surprisingly, mine looked brand new (without the pitting you sometimes see on remanufactured engines). The FQR comes as a long block assembly with heads, cams, valve covers, water pump, plugs etc It did not have certain parts such as an intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, throttle body assembly, power steering pump alternator or injectors, these parts will be reused from your old engine.

Ø It is rumored that because of the considerable number of engines to be remanufactured, Ford is using many brand new engine parts, including new blocks in some cases. How accurate this is, is anybody's guess however my FQR looked absolutely pristine. Ford claims the FQR engines contain the newly reengineered components, so PS should not recur.

Is there any warranty on the replacement engines?

Ø Replacement engines come with a 1 year, 12,000 mile warranty. I do recall one post claiming engines made after Oct 01 will have a 2 year 24, 000 mile warranty. But I can't confirm this by my dealer. Can anyone confirm a 2 year warranty?

Where can I get a copy of the TSBs on piston slap?

To see TSB's 12798 and 12799;

Ø See: http://pages.prodigy.net/castines/TS...on%20Slap).doc

Ø Apparently there are 2 newer TSBs out, #s 13331 and 13332 which I have not yet seen. Does anyone have them?

When did they fix the problem on newly manufactured trucks?

Ø New engines built after April 15, 1999 have been reengineered to eliminate the slap problem. This means that some of the 99s and all of the 2000s should be free of PS. To determine your engine manufacture date, look at the label on the valve cover (driver's side of your engine bay). It will also tell you where the engine was made. (In the case of 4.6L engines either Windsor or Romeo). FYI, your vehicle build date is listed on the drivers side door frame. This date is usually close to your engine build date.

Are owners happy with their replacement engines?

Ø Most owners have been pleased with their replacement engines ( both FQR and new), although some have had minor problems, in one case an oil leak, one or two encountered strange popping noises coming from their exhaust and in one case the engine had to be sent back and another one ordered. The member with the most miles reporting so far is 5,000

If I am over my warranty, will Ford fix it anyway? and what about if I have extended warranty?

Ø Generally speaking those with no warranty left have been refused a FREE replacement engine from Ford. (see; Exceptions ) While this is surely unfair to OOW owners, particularly since it took Ford over 2 years to come up with a fix, it is typical of all auto manufacturers to "slam the door" when your miles are up. Please let me know if anyone has been successful in an out of warranty situation so others can copy their strategy.
Ø I know of a situation which is currently being diagnosed, where the owner has Extended Ford warranty. Her dealer is currently giving her the "run-a-round" on the issue, but in this case it sounds like her dealer needs to get up to speed on the issue first. I will keep you informed. If anyone else has been successful in obtaining a replacement engine under an Extended Warranty plan, please let us know.
Ø Exceptions: I had my engine replaced after my warranty expired because my dealer had the good sense to keep a work order "open" on the problem. When Ford started shipping replacement engines, the FQR for my 97 Expedition was charged to that work order. List member "kkirt1"also reported getting an FQR engine after warranty, at 49K miles. I am uncertain as to how this arose however I seem to remember "arm wrestling with the service manager"…just kidding, I think he went through some type of dispute resolution board. I am sure he would be happy to provide details.

Is there anything that I can do, other than replacing my engine to fix the knock?

Ø Some owners, myself included, have been able to eliminate (or significantly reduce) start up noise by switching to Mobile 1 synthetic oil. Be careful to use a filter made for synthetics with an anti drain back valve (S type). This will not fix the piston slap problem, but what you can't hear…

</font>

Old 03-15-2001, 02:38 PM
After 2 years and 4 months, and 2 trips to the dealership, I'm now about to go in for a 3rd and last time for an engine swap. The last two times, they were just reluctant on admitting that there is a problem with the 5.4L, but after given some time, it shouldn't be a problem getting the job done. For anyone that is curious to know if they are still covered after warranty is up, if you had previously brought your truck in to get diagnosed, and it was not until after the warranty was up, it's pretty much a given that it will be replaced free of charge. Not to mention the fact that this will hold up in court, the service manager indirectly told me that "if there is any need for future reference, it is on file". It's to bad I have to uninstall the WMS Velocity Tube that I got in December. I don't want to take a chance on them not installing it properly, or possibly missing parts for it. Plus I'll have to remember to change the air filter from the K&N to the paper, just incase they may "misplace" it.

One question I have is of the FQR engine. My truck being a 98, and having the 235hp & 330ft-lb 5.4L, will they match the same specs, making the FQR rated for the same hp/torque numbers? And if so, why? It seems more of a hassle then anything, to keep designing the less efficient 5.4 rather then use the 99-00 5.4L rated at 260hp & 345ft-lbs.

------------------
~'98 F-150 XLT Reg. Cab Flareside 4x4, Black, 5.4L, 3.55LS, tow package, 285/75/r16 Mud Terrain BFG's,K&N,WMS Velocity Tube, GTS headlight covers, Alpine changer w/FM mod, Clifford alarm system w/keyless entry & starter disable // Future considerations: Bed mat, tonneau cover, 4" suspension lift or 3" body lift.

~'71 F-100 Sport Custom Reg.Cab
-390FE w/Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 780cfm Holley, ported & polished cylinder heads,
Hydraulic Crane Cam, 10.5:1 CR, Black Jack headers, true double roller timing chain, and high volume oil pump
-C6 transmision w/B&M 2600rpm stall
-9" Ford Rearend w/4.10 Richmond Gears & 31 spline axles
-215/65/r15 Yokohama's for the front & 28"x13.5"x15" Mickey Thompson ET Street slicks for the back
Best 1/4 mile time @ 3500ft altitude 14.69secs @ 92mph

~2000 Suzuki RM125 Dirt Bike
-no need for any modifications! (yet)

[This message has been edited by fordification (edited 03-15-2001).]

Old 03-15-2001, 03:52 PM
wm
I have a 99' 150 with a 5.4 and 12000 miles that has been diagnosed with piston slap but my local dealer and a Ford rep. told me that they can only replace the engine with a FQR and that they have never replaced these engines with new ones. Anybody who received a new engine ever have this problem, and if so how did you convince Ford to give you a new engine?

Old 03-15-2001, 11:47 PM
Good to hear I am not the only one with this problem! Although there is still a problem. I had my 1999 Expediton engine replaced @ 26,000 with a new 2000 engine. Now at 40,000 I have the same problem. Does anyone know if 30 over pistons, etc. are available for personal rebuilds?

Old 03-16-2001, 08:39 AM
kev
Yeah you can get upgraded pistons. Just call JE Forged Pistons. They hand make any pistons to your spec or vehicle and are 100 times better than stock. I believe they will handle over 1000HP. The are forged aluminum not cast like hyperU's etc. I just had some made for my conquest and I had them .020 over, converted from pressed wrist pins to floating, and sized the ring gap for best use of my sealed power rings. Nothing but good things to say about JE. It is possible that they even stock ones for a 5.4. They stock many domestic pistons but the foreigns have to be specially ordered.

Also my 99 f150 5.4 had PS and I took it in and had the engine replaced at 30,000 miles. I think they screwed me slightly because the put in a reman not a new engine but oh well, the thing runs great now. The dealer actually told me that the reason why my engine tapped on startup was because of the brand of oil filter I used, Purulator Pure1. Can you believe that? What idiots. I hate taking my truck to the dealer.

kev

Old 03-19-2001, 02:54 AM
Exclamation

Hey Guys
If you want to read about my FQR adventure (I am waiting on motor #4 as we speak) go back to the start of the board and look under "The Great FQR Rip Off" I have become a self taught expert on this mess.

Hope you guys can learn some from my adventure in frustration.

Old 04-06-2001, 02:48 PM
Cool

I have the piston slap thing on a 97 4x4 supercab lariat I just purchased. 104,000 miles. It only lasts like a minute at the most on cold starts. the engine still puts out a ton of power, I hear people talking about 20 extra horses that were achieved on later model 5.4 engines. Is there an easy upgrade I can do to my 97 5.4 to make that extra power? (something simple?) I guess it's not real important to me as it makes plenty of power the way it is. I am looking pretty hard at true dual exhaust though,(two converters, I figure, why not?) I plan on cutting the "Y" just after the sensor on the passenger side pipe and having 2 1/4" aluminized pipe run from there out under the back bumper, I plan on running a couple of glass packs probably about 20 inch length. Any thoughts on my exhaust plans? Suggestions?

------------------
1997 4x4 supercab lariat, leather, white & gold. stock for now, purchased with 104,000 miles on it, I have the cold start PS, it's probably had it since day one, 5.4 still running strong, looking at custom true duals as first mod.

Old 04-25-2001, 04:36 AM
Well, I guess I have the piston slap issue as well. I have a 97 F150 with the 4.6l. Back in the winter when I would start my truck on cold mornings I would hear the "ticking" but always thought it to be a slighlty out of adjustment on the lifters, convetional oil ( or maybe oil thickining), or that the oil had just drained down that much in the night and it was just taking a few seconds to pick it backup from the pan and circulate thru the engine. Well, I wish I would have found this site long ago and I could of had this fixed. You see I bought my truck used with 86,000 on it, but i also bought an extended warranty (another mistake (salesperson's fault) we will not talk about that) but that was used up long ago (100+ miles a day commute). So now here I sit with a 97 truck with 120,000 that has piston slap and cracked doors... What else?
I guess I should just trade while it still RUNS and looks good. I can't say for sure I will buy another Ford. Because it looks like this problem stems all the way to 99's or 00's and I can not afford something that new. Besides with gas going up maybe it would be a good time to get something smaller. I never hual nothing in the bed and would like more room than my std cab offers.
So can I offer anyone a good truck ( don't laugh) at a cheap price?
Well, after going back and dowloading the piston slap sound clip I have to say that mine is not nearly as pronounced or as bad as that one was. Of corse it souned like that might have been inside of a garage and mie is always outside. Also, I would think it would have gotten alot worse with miles and the truck still runs perfect. I guess it it hasn't failed already I might be ok then. Oh well, not going to worry about it.
------------------
97 Ford F150 XLT 4wd 4.6L auto, Std cab/Long bed 2 tone royal blue w tan bottom, PW,PL, and PM, captian chairs w/arm rests

Current Mods
K&N Filter
Xact Plug Wires- 8mm
Ventshade side window deflectors,read window deflector, bug guard, headlight and taillight blackouts
custom hand painted Ford emblems on door jamb guards and under hood on plastic intake cover
plastic mud guards
custom 4x4 off road graphics
Ford hitch cover and license plate frame
Custom carpet liner (protects factory carpet)
Slyvania Cool Blue Headlight and fog lamp bulbs
oh yeah, one custom dent and scratch from a deer the night before deer season

[This message has been edited by KYFordFreak (edited 04-25-2001).]

Old 05-14-2001, 09:40 PM
Talking

thanks for allyou rhelp. I had a problem with a 1997 Expedition. With PS. If I would have not read your bulletin I problably would not have found out about.it. I had the estended warranty for up to about 85,000 miles. I think I started getteing PS (if that is what it is the dealer said they did not know but the engine had to be replaced, but it had the symptoms of PS) at about 60,000, I did not know aht it was at first after reading this, I went to the dealer at about 79,000 and they replaced the engine for a remanfactured. I really thank you for you help. I want to see if you can give me a little more info. I sent some one to get muy truck so I still have not seen the engine. One of my questions is when you he your truck back do they give a certificate or some kind of prove of the new engine? How can you check if it is indeed a new engine? Did the supply a rental car for you when your engine was getting replaced? Thankx

Old 05-18-2001, 12:19 AM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
Exclamation

Originally posted by black f150 offroad:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">mcole - u are probably right i should have been an enginer as i would not have cheaped out and put in hyperutectic pisons instead of forged pieces, ask the guys with the cobra mustangs how they handle the 6800 rpm redline durring continous runs.</font>
The Cobras handle 7k plus rpm's just fine N/A. Their pistons are very strong from the factory for N/A applications. Start throwing in NOS and S/C's then it's a different game altogether. There have been *many* to survive 500+ rwhp of abuse on the stock internals and bottom end.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The bottom line is that the engine is still a good design (in theory that is) 2001 lightning 380 hp , only change is forged pistons.</font>
ALL '99 - '01 Lightnings have Forged pistons, not just he new '01's.

BfB

[This message has been edited by BfB (edited 05-17-2001).]

Old 06-15-2001, 09:51 PM
Question

Ø 4.6L engines are built in Windsor or Romeo
Ø If the 8th position in your VIN is a "6" then your 4.6L engine was built in Windsor, Canada
Ø If the 8th position in your VIN is a "W" then your 4.6L engine was built in Romeo, Michigan
Ø You can also look at the label on the valve cover (driver's side of your engine bay). It will tell you where your engine was made (Windsor or Romeo), as well as the build date.

Ok... the 8th position in my VIN is a 6. But, the engine just recently got replaced from a knock heard in the lower end of the motor. Now, my question is: Is there anyway I can find out where my engine was manufactured? I know when the dealership changed it they had to order it from the states. Could this mean that it was manufactured somewhere else then shipped down there for distribution?

http://qub3d.f150online.net

Nevermind I got my answer.. thanks =)

[This message has been edited by Qub3d (edited 06-19-2001).]

Old 06-16-2001, 12:42 AM
Unhappy

My '97 has just developed the infamous Piston Slap! It's only got 32,600 miles on it and I'm VERY piturbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of course this happens after the warrenty is up....

It happens when I first start it and it sounds like you're putting a piece of paper into a fan blade. It lasts about 10-15 minutes until the engine warms up.

I thought it was a loose/leaking exhaust because it stops after it warms up. I thought that as the exhaust exbanded from the heat that it sealed the leak/loose fitting.

I tried that link to the sound file, but it's a dead link now. Does anyone have that Piston Slap sound file for me?

http://members.home.net/kaywt/97_F150.htm

[This message has been edited by kaywt (edited 06-23-2001).]

Quick Reply: Piston slap information (summary)