What is the rpoblem w/ ford rotors??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2000, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolfords:

The slotted rotors came from www.truckperformance.com. They are 78.40 for 4wd and 101.50 for 2wd.

I also ordered the pads from them, but they were on back order, so I went to Auto Zone and got their performance pads.

So far I like them. I definitely feel that I can stop faster. No actual numbers though.

Ron
97 f-150 4x4 flairside

Old 03-25-2000, 06:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

On my last truck (92 Nissan) it was 85,000 miles before the PADS had to be replaced.

Old 03-25-2000, 09:07 PM
Angry

The rotors must be an inherent Ford problem, my '93 Cougar had rotor and brake problems including shimmying, pulsing, squealing and grinding from 50 miles to the 30,000 miles it had on it when I finally got tired of it and all the problems it had. I'm ecstatic that my trucks never had that problem. To make matters worse with the truck rotor, when I tried to remove it to have it turned or replaced (whichever it needed), I had to use 8 ounces of spray lube and beat the heck out of it to get to break free. I hope the aftermarket replacemment rotor is better then the OEM. I drove less than 75 miles from the first time I heard any scraping, the squealer gauge had rusted off the pad. The rotor was beyond turning.

Old 03-27-2000, 01:48 PM
Put 80000 miles on my 97 and never replaced the brakes. The indicater tabs started rubbing the day the new owner came to pick it up. I'm on my 4th Ford truck in 10 years. I've averaged over 80k miles on every one of them. I've replace front brakes one time on my 93. I think warping is caused by improper torque and driving style.

-jeff b.

------------------
2000 F150 4x4 SC/SB 5.4 ORP Lariet Oxford White with Harvest Gold 2 tone.

Old 04-09-2000, 11:10 PM
My truck has 19,500 miles on it. When I brake at 40 mph it really starts to vibrate. It doesn't pull left or right, but just vibrates. I have the dealer maintenance package and will have them inspect the brakes during my 20K check. The service department at my local dealer says one brake job more than pays for the 3year/36k maintenace plan I bought. He guessed that I would need new brakes at 30K. Probably more like 20K. I guess Ford brakes aren't any better than the brakes on the Dodge Rams.

------------------
White '98 XL,Reg Cab Long Bed, V6, Auto, Lund Interceptor Deflector, Extang Saber Tonneau, F150online.com SuperWhite Bulbs, My lousy gas mileage is better than my girlfriends new 1999 Explorer!

Old 04-11-2000, 02:18 PM
At 24000 miles on my '97, i decided to pull the front tires to look at the brakes ( I bought the truck at 20,000 miles). I was shocked to find the rotors were extremely worn, too worn to turn down. So i went to the dealer about it because no way should i have to replace the rotors in the 20,000 mile range. They said it should fall under the warranty and will replace them and the pads (since of course they were also worn). That was six weeks ago, they will replace them in two weeks when the rest of my warranty parts come in (rear window, relocate exhaust, possible lower steering shaft and pitman arm). We will see if they live up to their word.

Old 04-12-2000, 01:30 AM
jgorka,
Aparrently you have never had to hold tolerances that close........... .0002 is very difficult to hold. If you you are not in a clean room and climate controlled environment.

I think you should re-read what you wrote and think about what you wrote.

half a thou- .0005

Is pretty precision work........Considering the fact of part push away,accumalated runout and various other things........stress relieving, sand pits, holes in the casting. I could list things forever that you need to rethink about.

Sorry for the delay I have been making things that make this world go around!

Without machinistsnothing in this world could exsist!

just a thought but machinists are.....
Metalurgists, Physicists, on top of mathmatics, metrology, engineering and I could go on forever again but I will rest on that.

Later,
Sugarman

------------------
99 F-150 XLT Sport, Black 4x4 4.6L , 3.55 LS,Manual Tranny, 3" Body Lift, 35x12.50x16.5 BFG AT's on 16.5x9.75 AR 172(BAJA'S) K&N air filter, No Muff Exaust system,.999 tuned TPS,Pioneer CD Player,Pioneer GM-X332 Amp,8" Rockford Fosgate Punch XLC's, Custom(self done)pinstriping,Wrap around bugdeflecter,

Old 05-02-2000, 11:15 PM
Shugarman: I checked my math very carefully before making that post.

The point was (and still is) that you made the big point that "...Disk pad run out on Ford's can be no greater than 980 millionths of an inch. Where as the others let it get to just over .001. but being the most sophisticated shop in our state we never let anything get over a half a thou. either way..."

Whereas I merely pointed out that there was a mere 20 millionths difference between that .001 and the 980 millionths of an inch.

And, what was it that I said that gave you the indication that I didn't understand how hard it is to hold those tolerances?

And here's the P.S.: The funny thing is, that I recognized that you were holding tolerances at 500 millionths -- yup the 1/2 thou that you posted -- as an acknowledgement that you were doing far better than your design limits required.

Somehow you managed to take the recognition of good work as a slam -- now Who should re-read what?

Now, why do rotors warp?

------------------
Y2K™

XLT SC SB 5.4L 3.73LS

[This message has been edited by Y2K 7700 4x4 (edited 05-02-2000).]

Quick Reply: What is the rpoblem w/ ford rotors??