If your ABS light starts flashing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2000, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post If your ABS light starts flashing...

I was on my way home last night and my ABS light started flashing in my panel. I didn't think anything about it because my brakes still functioned normally. But, when I when I got in my truck to go to work this morning, I got a little worried.

I started the truck fine and the light started flashing again. I tried to put my truck into gear (automatic) and I couldn't get it out of park! Well, I didn't have time to look into it so I got a ride to work and left it.

I came home early and checked all of the brake hoses, electrical system in the engine compartment and under the vehicle. Everything was fine.

Well, the problem was the RABS fuse (15 amp, #12 think) was blown in the cab fuse block. I replaced it with another 15 amp fuse and everything is fine!

Seems odd that one blown fuse will cripple the entire vehicle!!

Old 06-01-2000, 11:32 PM
Cool

fuse number 16 on a Windstar when blown will leave your radio, hvac, and headlights on. Thus killing the battery. Pretty weird stuff. If you diag it, it show that the FEM is bad, but Ford put out an ssm on the fuse problem.

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Ford hvy dty rubber floor mats, Kenwood 10-disk cd changer, Kenwood am/fm cassette head unit, Ford bugshield, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar with 2 KC 100w Daylighters, Ventshades, Ford bedliner, Lund Premier tonneau cover, cab and bed professionally undercoated, Code Alarm Sure Start RVS remote starter, Ford alarm, Realistic CB with Wilson Little Wil antenna and Astatic power mic, ported MAF sensor, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

Old 06-04-2000, 04:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've also read and observed that if your brake lights malfunction you may not be able to get into gear. One thing to perform if this happens is to turn the key onE click/position fwd, and then move the selector to neutral. Now you can start the car.

------------------
MIKE KIEVIT
1996 EXPLORER XLT
1997 F150 2WD(2ND OWNER)
1999 COBRA

[This message has been edited by MKTRUCK (edited 06-04-2000).]

Old 06-04-2000, 11:05 PM
MKTRUCK-
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that.

Quick Reply: If your ABS light starts flashing...