Tick Tick Tick Tick

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-1999, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tick Tick Tick Tick

Has anyone experienced a ticking noise coming from the front end? I think it has something to do with my brakes or perhaps my front end? It seems to happen more when I am turning. I can really hear it turning on an incline!?

I recently had my brakes re-done and the rotors turned and the ticking is still there. I took the service guy for a ride and he heard it but could not find what was causing it!? Any comments would be appreciated......

Todd

------------------
97 White F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP, 4.6, SuperChip, Stillen Air Intake, Gibson Exhaust, Hellwig Sway Bar, Weld Wheels, 33" Bridgestone A/T Duelers, 3" Body Lift, Rancho 9000's, Billet Grill, SmittyBilt Nerf Bars (Stainless), SnugTop Shell (Expo), Sunroof, Sony ES CDX780 Head Unit, Sony ES 10 Disk Changer, Sony ES XDP 210 EQ/DSP, MTX Pro 4X75W AMP, Kenwood 300W AMP for Sub., 1 Fared Lightning Monitor Cap, Optima Yellow Top Battery, MTX ThunderForm W/2-8"-4ohm Fosgate Punch XLC, Infinity Kappa components in front, Infinity Kappa 5X7 rear. On Order: White face gauge? Still looking.......

Old 09-30-1999, 09:41 PM
Have 99 F150 4X4, three weeks old 700 miles.
Also, have noticed Tick, Tick from right
front only. It is constant at slow speeds.
I'am planning to have dealer check it out.

-----------

99 F150 Lariat Supercab 4X4 T Red, 5.4, 17" wheels, 4 wheel disc ABS, Drawtite receiver.

Old 10-01-1999, 07:33 PM
The clicking "might" be the pad moving back and forth in the caliper. Usually when you buy new pads you get a little tube of adhesive to glue them in place to prevent that clicking. Give it a try, you might get lucky. I can't believe a mechanic wouldn't have know this though, it's a real common problem.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 10-23-1999, 01:46 AM
Arrow

We had the click with our 97 Expy in the front. Only it wasn't the brakes. They replaced our pitman arm (and eventually the rest of the power steering assembly, new tranny and 42 other repairs).

The big drag to this is the steering is getting the 'click' again.

Good Luck

Old 10-24-1999, 12:00 AM
If what you are hearing is a really quiet ticking, check the cotter pin on the front axle nut. The thin steel castellated cover for the nut has a tendency to rattle. Ford has "goop" inside to prevent this. There may not be enough, or if they disturbed it while doing the brakes you may need to "re-goop" it. It could be the pad clips. The clips are what keeps the pads in place and from rattling while you are driving. The adhesive is not really adhesive, it's anti squeal compound. It's supposed to help keep your pads from squealing. Ford doesn't believe in it. I have only ever run into 2 cars with Ford pads that squealed! So, check the clips and check the cover the cotter pin goes through.

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar, Ford bedliner, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

Old 06-02-2000, 10:41 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but i didn't want to get flamed for asking a similar question

Anyway, i hear a squeeking from my left rear. It is not constant, and it only occurs when i depress the brake lightly.

What i hear is a squeek...(pause)....squeek....squeek....etc.
The sound is directly in sync with the speed that i am travelling; so when i brake at a slow speed the squeeks are farther apart. When i brake at a faster speed the squeeks are closer together.

What i dont' get, is that if it was the indicator tab, it would be a solid sound, rather than in rotations, correct? Also, when i brake slightly harder, the sound is not there, so the tab should be louder, not quieter.

What could the quiet squeeking be?

------------------
98 F150-XL, Black
2WD 4.6L 5spd. Windsor Triton
RegCab, Short WB, 3.08
Air, Rear Slider, Ford Duraliner Boxliner, Ziebart rustproofing
HAWK Plus Bedcap, profile+ wrap-around bug deflector,
Tint: #4(5% light) RearCab & Bedcap Windows
#2(35% light) Cabside Windows

My Site
www.geocities.com/ooturing

[This message has been edited by defacto (edited 06-02-2000).]

Old 06-05-2000, 10:33 AM
defacto. It really does sound like the wear indicator. My GT used to do that, it would squeal with light pedal pressure and stop squealing with heavier pressure. I don't know about the on/off nature of the squeal though, unless your rotor is slightly warped.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 06-05-2000, 10:11 PM
Talking

LuvTheC:

I had the same problem with my 99 4X4. Just like Sycoholic said it was the cotter pin and castle nut. I took cotter pin out and applied a little silicone around nut.... Fixed clicking noise.

------------------
99 F150 Super Cab Long Box XLT 4X4

Old 06-05-2000, 10:23 PM
I guess I should have looked at all the postings.

defacto:

To me it seems like you have a dry universal joint.

The U-joints are not greasable on your truck. Go to dealer if you still have drive train warrenty and get replaced or a local jobber and have it replaced. Eventually you will get a light vibration coming from the driveshaft and then it could possiblly "fall" out.

------------------
99 F150 Super Cab Long Box XLT 4X4

Old 06-05-2000, 11:34 PM
seems like I remember a discussion on the board about the ticking bieng related to the ABS cycling. I dunno, but I get the ticking during warmer weather, intermittently at speed or idle.

Old 06-07-2000, 10:45 AM
Exclamation

DOH! I sure hope it's a simple matter of silicone. SHOOSH, a driveshaft falling out doesn't sound to great. I'm gonna take it apart, try the silicone and see what happens. If that doesn't do it, i think I'll take it to the dealership.
Gee, those guys are really getting to know me there! When my warranty runs out they'll miss me i bet!

------------------
98 F150-XL, Black
2WD 4.6L 5spd. Windsor Triton
RegCab, Short WB, 3.08
Air, Rear Slider, Ford Duraliner Boxliner, Ziebart rustproofing
HAWK Plus Bedcap, profile+ wrap-around bug deflector,
Tint: #4(5% light) RearCab & Bedcap Windows
#2(35% light) Cabside Windows

My Site
www.geocities.com/ooturing

Quick Reply: Tick Tick Tick Tick