Can't get Rotors off!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2000, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Can't get Rotors off!

I have been trying for the last 2 days to get 1 rotor off. I've got the caliper off and have used penetrating oil, WD-40, and some Rust remover stuff. I let it soak in penetrating oil overnight. I am using a 5 pound sledge and it has not budged even a millimeter. Am thinking of getting an air compressor and impact hammer. Hope that'll work. If it doesn't I don't know what I'll do.

------------------
97 F-150 S/C 4x4 ORP XLT 4.6 K&N , Flowmaster w/dual tailpipes, Bosch+4 plugs,Ford 9mm wires,Superchip.Patriot fiberglass toneau cover, Westin chrome step bars. Rear seat lift 4".
Kenwood 4011 stereo, USAcoustics 2150 amp, Profile electronic 3 way crossover, 2 10" IDQ DVC's, and Polk Dx7 5x7/6x8 3 ways in the front doors.

FUTURE PERFORMANCE MODS:
4.10 gears, Edlebrock shocks, Magnacharger, Airaid, and slotted rotors.

OTHER FUTURE MODS:
Ram Air hood w/functional ram air, suspension lift, 17" polished wheels, 35" tires, and sunroof.

Old 09-02-2000, 03:00 PM
Impact hammer isn't working. I got to get this fixed soon or I have no way to get to work Tuesday. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 09-02-2000, 05:20 PM
I had the same problem last year on my 97 4x4. I had to get under the truck with a chisel and clean the s**t from the inside of the hub. It was a nightmare. A couple hour job into a day and a half. By the time I was done I needed new rotors so I went got cast ones. When I installed the new ones I put Antiseze(?)all over the inside where I had chipped away before as well as where the hub meets the rotor. It was almost the whole jar, but now when I remove my tire the rotor is free. Just what I did. Good luck!

Old 09-03-2000, 07:18 PM
Well I finallt got them off. I tried everything I could think of and was about to put everything back on and take it to the shop Tuesday. That was when my neighbor came over with his sledge hammer. we hit it about 5 times and it finally broke loose. When I did the other one I actually broke the inner section of the rotor in half. I too put anti-seize all over the hub as well as the caliper bracket bolts, those were no fun taking out either. But thanks for the suggestions UCRED.

Quick Reply: Can't get Rotors off!