Need pads already?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need pads already?

My truck is just over 25,000 miles and I'm starting to get "the groan" both audible and through the pedal. Is it possible that I need to look at pads already? What experience have others had mileage-wise for first brake job on average? I'm a "normal" driver but do live in rush hour stop and go land. Any help appreciated.

------------------
Ben Mc.----'99 XLT 5.4 SC SB ORP Dk. Red/Dk. Grey----Fact. Cab Steps/Tonneau/Slider----Straight Duals, Superchip, Airaid/KN (non-sag), Ungo Autostart/Keyless Remote, Prime Designs Air/Bug Deflector, Weathertech Wind/Rain Deflecters----PPI 4240 Amp,McIntosh 6x9's w/crossovers front, Polk DB 5.25's rear---Tuessssdayyyy Affffternoooooon----gotta love it!

Old 10-11-2000, 10:21 PM
There's no substitute for inspection and projection.

Old 10-13-2000, 07:57 PM
I pull a LARGE horse trailer with my F250. Yes the trailer has it's own brakes but it still takes a toll on the truck. I went ahead and replaced my front pads at 43K. I didn't have to, mind you but I was afraid I would get into the rotor before I knew it so I went ahead and put in new pads.

For what it's worth, I usually get a lot of miles on brakes. I have a lot of road miles. I figure I would have gotten more but the trailer lost it's electric brakes and left me to depend on the truck more than usual for several hundred miles (long Story about a trailer).

I replaced the factory brakes with a Raybestos *Ceramic* brake pad. Anxious to see what happens with it. It Da*n sure cost enough to be good.

Tennessee Confederate Flag

[This message has been edited by PigPen (edited 10-13-2000).]

Old 10-22-2000, 05:21 PM
JD
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada (originally from Kearny, New Jersey)
I have just over 24,000 on mine and I'm starting to hear the feeler squealing. I'll have them checked this week when the oil gets done.

Seems like you'd get a little farther out of them, but I too towed a 26ft trailer on occasions so who knows.

------------------
99 F250XLT Supercab LD
5.4L 3.73 LS
White/Silver
Graphite interior
6 CD changer/Captain's Chairs

Old 10-22-2000, 10:32 PM
Talking

I now have 115k on my oem brakes and they look like they had 25% to go when I check them two months ago at 109k. I tow a 3300lb camper about 5k miles each summer. Not much city driving.

Anyone else out there getting 100k plus?

------------------
97 F150XLT SC 4X4 SB, 115k mi., tow pkg., ls rear, K&N, Stainless Steel Bug Guard, Leer XL100 Cap - a real piece of junk

Old 10-23-2000, 12:06 AM
The rotors were glazed and needed to be cut. Not much left on the pads. I have a long hill to do everyday too. No girlfriend at the other end, just the rest of the world. Must have something to do with it. These things are heavy and don't slow down for beans in overdrive. Hard to believe I could be that hard on them but there you go. Two days later the rears start chirping. Arggghhh!! Thanks for the input.

------------------
Ben Mc.----'99 XLT 5.4 SC SB ORP Dk. Red/Dk. Grey----Fact. Cab Steps/Tonneau/Slider----Straight Duals, Superchip, Airaid/KN (non-sag), Ungo Autostart/Keyless Remote, Prime Designs Air/Bug Deflector, Weathertech Wind/Rain Deflecters----PPI 4240 Amp,McIntosh 6x9's w/crossovers front, Polk DB 5.25's rear---Tuessssdayyyy Affffternoooooon----gotta love it!

Old 10-23-2000, 12:36 AM
dirlton, I had to replace my brakes at 21,000 miles. I lived up a fairly steep hill and was making a lot of trips up and down it to see a girlfriend at the time. Since then I moved and,I've made a habit of turning overdrive off around town and now have 50,000 miles and they're getting close. I think this time I'll look into some aftermarket pads. Any input from anyone on the board welcome.

------------------
'97 F150 4.6L XL WHITE,FLEETSIDE R/C L/B, LEER SHELL W/FISHING POLE RACK, BED MAT,LIMMITED SLIP,245/75/16 DESERT DOGS ON POLISHED ALUM, WHEELS.
AIRAID, 3" CAT BACK OUT THE SIDE w/MAGNAFLOW MUFFER

Trending Topics

Old 10-23-2000, 03:07 PM
I notice a "squeek-squeek" when I'm making a right turn in the parking lot. Not sure what that is. I took the front wheel off and the pads look close to being finished. I have 7K miles on this replacement set of pads (replaced oem pads at 48K). I notice a lot of brake dust on the wheels if I don't wash the truck for 2 weeks. Especially on the drivers side. Can anybody comment on this? I bought Albany brake pads (semi-metallic) for replacement.

Mark D.

------------------
'97 F150 XLT Born 8/96
SC SB SS 4x4 4.6L Auto, 3.55, 4 wheel ABS, elec. 4WD shift, dealer installed Ford in-dash CD, 16 in. Polished alum. Wheels, Dark Torreador Red Metallic/Gray, 60K miles

What I Added:
Boston Acoustic speakers, 265/75/R16 GoodYear Wrangler RT/S, K&N Filter, OEM Fog Lights, skid plates, 4x4 ORP decal, '98 XLT Triton V8 emblems, '98 exhaust (behind wheel), a couple dents :-)

Old 10-24-2000, 09:22 AM
I had over 80K on my oem pads on my 97. I sold the truck to a friend, and he is now at 90K and original pads yet. He just replaced the water pump though 8^(.

My 2000 is now at 31K and original pads........ don't need no stinkin brakes 8^)

-jeff b.

------------------
2000 F150 4x4 SC/SB 5.4 Auto, Tow Package, ORP (with the sticker for 2000), Cab Steps, Lariet.
Oxford White/Harvest Gold 2 tone.

Old 10-30-2000, 02:35 PM
Unhappy

Sorry, but you got what you paid for, thats alright, its gotten a lot people including my self. I bet you thought you were getting a deal on those pads , well, now you know why autozone sells em so cheap. the box they come in is worth more than the pads

------------------
BigBunnell

98 F150 4X4 XLT flareside V6 5sp K&N Flowmaster and some other goodies

Old 10-30-2000, 09:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My truck lasted til 36k for the fronts,then the pedal started pulsing. Bad rotor. Well
the pedal has started vibrating again with
45.3k Maybe they just replaced one the first time(at a dealer) The rears are still okay at the present mileage,but have snapped the equalizer cable on both sides. One was repaired with the front brake job. and one about 3000 miles ago.
The place that did it also tried to sell me a master cylinder. The pedal is slowly losing height all the time,so they must have been correct on that one. I guess it's brake work time again. ,,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper 500HF Security system
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
www.my-f150.com
Fender Guitars,ROCK!!!

Old 11-04-2000, 07:36 AM
OEM pads-30k miles
Second set of "OEM" from the dealer-21k miles.
Now running on Pro Stop brake pads from Pep Boys. We will see.

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications: K&N FIPK, Stepshield door sill protectors, Performance Accesories 3" body lift, Lift Lips and Daystar front anti-sway bar polyurethane bushings.

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Old 11-10-2000, 02:39 PM
BigBunnell,

Yeah you're right, they were cheap pads. I bought another set of pads, but noticed my rotors need replacing. So I bought a set of rotors at carparts.com. 30% off with a coupon.

Mark D.

------------------
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Old 11-12-2000, 08:05 PM
Well, remember those Pro Stop brake pads from Pep Boys? Lots of black dust after 3k miles, too much stain over the rim. I will try to change them as soon as posible. Will keep looking for a good brake pad.

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications: K&N FIPK, Stepshield door sill protectors, Performance Accesories 3" body lift, Lift Lips, Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST Shocks and Daystar front anti-sway bar polyurethane bushings.

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Old 11-12-2000, 08:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
214 miles on my truck... you think I should start worrying yet? ;-)

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof, built 11/99 picked up 10/00!
List of planned mods: Clear corners and tails, CB wiring, Stainless brush guard, at least 1 set of KCs (probably more!), custom radar detector mount, color matched trailer hitch with stainless steel ball, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector, spray in liner, and a tonneau of some sort...

Quick Reply: Need pads already?