New Brake Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 06:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seeing how you just bought the truck sounds like you need to break the brakes in for a bit about a 1,000 miles should do it if they are still doing it take it back for service.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT Reg. cab
4.6 Triton Engine
4x2 3.55 rear end gear
sliding rear window
automatic keyless entry
white styleside short box

Old 02-07-2001, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I noticed after further experimentation on the way home today that it can also happen when coasting at up to 8-10mph - think this could be brakes, or is it more likely the transmission? Any/all thoughts much appreciated...

-- Jim Wright
2001 SuperCrew King Ranch 4WD

Old 02-08-2001, 12:12 AM
Question New Brake Issue?

Hi all, I bought a new SuperCrew King Ranch 4WD last night, and it's exhibiting a strange behavior that I think might be the brakes.

At 1-2mph, giving it just enough gas to not stop completely, it sort of jerks back and forth, almost like it has a warped brake rotor or rotors or the brakes are a little too tight. Is this a common behavior? Sometimes it doesn't roll away from a stop when I let off the brake - I have to give it a little gas, and then it takes off with a little jerk. Sound familiar to anyone?

-- Jim

Old 02-10-2001, 09:24 AM
Question

Ok, after even more experimentation, I'm thinking it probably is the brakes. It feels like they're sticking, but I think it only does it after I've been driving for at least half an hour. (Or in any case, it's much easier to reproduce after I've been driving for a while.) Maybe they're a little tight and after I drive for a while they get hot enough that they expand and get tight enough to occasionally stop me from rolling from a stop? Would this make sense? Could the fact that I'm getting thumping and catch/release catch/release indicate warped rotors?

-- J

Old 02-10-2001, 10:33 AM
Location: Beautiful Fort Worth in the Great State of Texas which is part of The Best Country on this Planet Earth, The U.S.A.!
Hey Jim,

When my truck was new I had a similar problem.

Mine was so bad that if you were on a slight incline at a stop light and you let off the brakes with it in neutral the truck would not start rolling on its own!

Turned out to be the right rear parking brake cable was getting hung up somehow and not releasing the shoes.

I realize you have disc all the way around but you might check the parking brake system to ensure that it is fully releasing.

I figured it out by setting and releasing the parking brake several times, sometimes the truck would roll easy, other times it would not.
Then I jacked up each wheel individualy and found out that the right rear was not spinning freely.

Good luck!!

------------------
Roger In DFW.
Home of the 1999 Stanley Cup Champion ****Dallas Stars****
99 F-150 Sport XL "Bright" Red 4.2L
L Wheels-Michi Pilots. Flowmaster 50. Sport Masters Tonneau

00 X Sport. "Laser" Red 5.4L

Waag Brush Guard. Roush Racing "Dual Oval" Chrome Tip!

[This message has been edited by B777 (edited 02-10-2001).]

Old 02-12-2001, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't touch it. I would suggest taking it back to the dealer and let them deal with it. You should demand a loaner since it's not even a week old.

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2001, 04:01 PM
check out my message "sticking front calipars" This Could be your problem as well! Since your truck is new, I'd take in in ASAP and have them check the brake system!

Quick Reply: New Brake Issue?