28K and needed new rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 09:58 PM
T21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 28K and needed new rotors

OK. Had my truck in for normal service, oil change, tire rotation and check braking. They tell me that the front rotors were too pitted to turn and that they needed to be replaced. OK, had it done. Then got thinking..... 28k and new rotors?? What the ..... That's rediculous. So the next day I call the service writer to ask why they are not covered under warrenty. She... (yes a woman - sorry) said that Ford doesn't warrenty them past 18k miles for what they call normal wear. Nowhere have I found that in my warrenty booklet. I've tried to speak with the Service Manager, but he doesn't return calls.. (great customer focus)

So, does anybody know if this is a true Ford policy?

Thanks

Tom

Old 01-30-2003, 01:12 AM
Unless Ford changed their warrenty coverage, the're full of cow pie's. I have a 98 150 and they had to, and did replace my rotors 2X in 36K due to warping. Pads were good, I got 50K out of them.

They thought they would get away with cutting the first set of rotors ( the ones that came on the truck) instead of just replacing them, to find out that they warped even faster, so back to the dealer I went, 1st set of new rotors installed. The story just repeats itself for the second set. Ford has their share of problems with poor quality brake rotors. I think they see so much of this, that they are just trying to get away with what they can.

I think you should read your warrenty book and make sure ford isn't pulling one over on you/us. If it doesn't say anything about abbreviated warrenty coverage on brake rotors, I would go back and have them show me in writing where it say's 18K miles. If they continue to be butt heads, I guess it's time to call dearborn customer service. Hopefuly they can take care of you.

I have a question. Since when is 18K miles considered normal wear on something like a brake rotor or drum??????!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Hell, that's longer than my dealer told me. I was told by the service guy that they would only cover up to 12,000 miles on the brakes.

Bob

Old 01-30-2003, 06:59 PM
T21:

Rotor pitting IS NOT normal wear. It is the result of machining a casting with porosity (little air pockets) in it and the rotor then somehow getting past their QC checks.

Over time & temperature cycles these little holes in the brake surface corrode and get bigger & bigger.

This condition is a 'defect in materials, manufacturing or workmanship' and IS NOT normal wear. Therefore they should be 100% covered up to the full 36K miles.

Go explain this to them & get your money back! Tell us how you make out.

Tom

Old 02-01-2003, 01:01 AM
T21 & rtroha,

I just wanted to let you guys know what my warranty book say's about normal wear and tear items. Sorry it took so long to get back, but I couldn't find the book.

"Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover: (1) parts and labor needed to maintain the vehicle (including parts and labor required after the first required replacement time that is specified in your owner guide and service guide); and (2) the replacement of due to normal wear and tear. You, as the owner, are responsible for these items".

oil changes
oils, lubricants, other fluids
oil/air filters
BRAKE LININGS AND PADS
tire rotation
cleaning and polishing
wiper blades
clutch linings
engine tune up

No wear does it say anything about rotors or drums. Refering to the clutch, it even says linings, not pressure plate, throwout bearing, ect.......

It goes on to mention time limit items coverage:

"After the first 12 months in service or 12K miles, whichever occures first, wheel alignment and tire balancing are not covered unless required by a warranty repair".

I know my book is a 98 reference, but it's up to them to show you in writing that it's different. We do know the above is or was a fact.

Good luck

Old 02-03-2003, 07:13 PM
edit.

Old 02-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the info HarleyD1, but I'm at 39,000 now and still have the same brakes. Oh well. Once the weather warms up here I'll be putting new rotors and pads on. I don't really notice the vibration with my big tires but when I put the stockers on for the winter, I notice it big time. It will be fixed soon enough by me.

Thanks again,
Bob

Trending Topics

Old 02-06-2003, 11:40 AM
ET
Angry Brakes

rtroha-
I have 56,000 on my 1999 F250 Ld and have had all 4 discs
replaced and now I have just replaced the front pads AGAIN! .
Warranty covered the 1st time but I didnt waste my time with the dealer on the new front pads.

ET

1999 F250 LD EXt cab 4x4

Old 02-10-2003, 12:43 PM
3 years of 36000 miles, whichever comes first. Hey I bought my truck 2 years old with 34000 miles on it and I still had 1 year or 2000 miles of factory warranty.

Old 02-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Sorry to hear about all the bad luck you folks have with your brake rotors and pads i knew Frod had crap Rotors and pads but my truck is 5 years old and has had the pads replaced twice and I have 70,000 miles.I am on second set now and rotors turned once . However I have Wagner pads now and they suck I have worn those out in less than a year and they make a ton of noise so I will be upgradeing both rotors and pads before summer gets here because i tow a boat and am tired of the overheating and brake fad i get when towing especially when the Temp get over 100 Degrees outside.

Richard D.

Last edited by Richard D; 02-21-2003 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:12 PM
I guess I got lucky.

Replaced the fronts at 85,000 miles.
Still have the originals on the rear at 154,000.

Lots of highway driving here though.

Old 03-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Well I replaced the front Rotors and pads yesterday with some Powerslot Rotors and HAWK HP Light Duty Pads flushed entire fluid system and put in Castrol GTLMA Brake Fluid which is the really good S$#T .I had ordered a set of rear shoes and went with the Raybestos SuperDutySuperstop shoes but low and behold when i removed the drums the brake shoes looked new basically had almost as much material as the brand new shoes i just bought so i returned the shoes, I then took the truck out and broke in the new rotors and pads WOW what an improvement in the way the brakes now work ,can't wait until i get my Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines from www.truckperformance.com

Richard D.

Old 03-23-2003, 12:17 AM
brakes

After reading these posts about brakes, I must have the truck that was built by ford on tues-thurs, (never buy one built on a mon or fri) 1990 f150 100,000+, same rotors, same brake fluid, although will be bleeding system this summer

Old 03-23-2003, 12:34 PM
topgun you should replace your brake fluid at least every two years. It loses it properties from heat and when that happens the fluid will then start to absorb water. And although you have not changed your rotors or fluid in over 13 years that does not mean they are still in good shape. and I would venture to guess that they do in fact need replacement. I would be willing to guess that your steering wheel shakes when you brake hard.

Richard D.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Old 03-28-2003, 10:00 PM
to richard d

No, no shake in front end when braking hard. Then again, I don't brake hard. I alway's anticipate stops ahead of time, downshift and go from there. O'l betsy has been good to me, the only major complaint I have had from ford, has been the original paint job. About 1 year after buying it, the paint was flaking, I wrote ford and complained, got a new paint job out of it. I plan on running it until the friggin wheels fall off seeing the prices on the new trucks.

Quick Reply: 28K and needed new rotors