Protectant for polished aluminum wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob,
Following is what it says about polished aluminum wheels:

Wheel Wax must be applied liberally on clean, cool and dry wheels and spread evenly, let dry to a haze and then remove with a soft cotton towel or applicator. We recommend applying Wheel Wax to all wheels and then buffing the first wheel. The application process for polished aluminum or billet wheels is slightly different. Just apply Wheel Wax to polished aluminum or billet wheels and immediately buff to a high shine. It is not necessary to let Wheel Wax dry on polished aluminum to get the ultimate protection. Extending drying time on polished wheels may require more work to remove the haze. Buff off quickly for best results.

Wheel Wax will at least extend time in between wheel polishing and may eliminate the need to polish wheels. Wheel Wax has been formulated to add a protective barrier on wheels, which will repel harmful brake dust and road contaminates.

Remember: Treat the finish of your wheels as you would the finish of your car. Most alloy wheels today feature a painted and/or a clearcoat finish just like your vehicle’s bodywork.

Read more about wheel finishes.
Back To Accessories
Back To Maintenance

Richard D.

Old 03-10-2003, 09:52 PM
I recently did a test on my pol.alum. Weld wheel's. Granted these are not out in the element's,they are in my basement & I bought them used and wanted to clean them up before installing them on my truck. Here are the product's I tested. All of these claim to offer protection & a great shine.
Flitz
Mother's Mag & alum Polish
Bluemagic
Metal Maddness
Meguiars Gold class Metal restorer
Meguiars #28 mag polish
Wheel wax
Poorboys metal Polish

All were decent product's. I few stood out though. Top 4
1.Bluemagic
2.Meguiars gold class metal restorer
3.Poorboys
4. Meguiar's #28
The rest I would'nt but again.
Easiest to use Meg's gold class & poorboy's. The Bluemagic is really good too but it's strong smelling potent stuff.

I tried the wheelwax & was not impressed. Maybe it will work better on chrome. Let me know your finding's with it.

Old 03-10-2003, 10:29 PM
The Wheel Wax is really not intended to be a polish/cleaner for Aluminum however as you can see by the previous post they say it can be used. The Wheel Wax is more of a protectant for Chrome simalar to what Zoops probably is for Polished aluminum once it has been polished and cleaned. I will be trying the Wheel Wax on my chrome wheels. Wheel Wax claims that it repels brake dust by so called changing the molecular polarity once it has been on the wheel over night or somehting of that nature. Figure what the heck might as well try it see how it works. I can also tell you that the Blue Magic is GREAT stuff (the smell is amonia)that is what i use to use on my Aluminum wheels and it works the easiest of all products i tried. The way did it was to use a air die grinder with a Cotton wheel that www.eastwood.com sells apply a little bit and just buff until it is no longer on the wheel working it in then remove any residue with a terry cloth towel.

Richard D.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Last edited by Richard D; 03-10-2003 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:57 PM
Where might I find some info on this Bluemagic stuff? My rims will need a good polishing when they come out of the garage this spring.

Bob

Old 03-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Try www.carcrazy.net or try your local Auto parts stores Another place to try www.blulightning.com

Richard D.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Last edited by Richard D; 03-11-2003 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:32 PM
keeping polish wheels polish

well heres your answer. yes you do need to wax them,but you must keep them clean you run them in salt you wash them down keep the salt off or it well salt track the rim the only way you can remove salt track is to sand rim and recut if you cant keep them up in the winter take them off. the call me the polisher.any thing else I can help you with twest1955@cs.com

Old 08-20-2003, 08:38 PM
polish

some of the best polish you can get you can make your self. the polisher.

Old 08-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by rtroha
... wax can't hold up to the salt they use on our roads during the winter.

Growing up in the Midwest, I don't think not much can hold up again the salty roads/soot/slush always present during the winter months. I'd just get a pressure washer and blast that stuff away every other day or so. I've got one and it's fun as heck .

Last edited by LeanNCut; 08-20-2003 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Protectant for polished aluminum wheels