Long Trail T/As: follow up

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Long Trail T/As: follow up

Just a follow up to my favorable words about the Long Trail T/A, posted a while back...

As it turns out, we're having the worst winter in at least seven years in NY. And after three months time, my opinion of these tires has not changed. They are excellent.

In this week's storm, I drove through as much as ten inches of snow (we wound up with 20!) in my 2WD.

No, they are not all-terrain tires. But considering how well they ride on dry pavement, how well they handle and how quiet they are, I couldn't be happier with their winter performance. If you drive a truck and you want all-season tires, I would consider these before anything else.

Just wanted to pass it along.

Drive safe out there.

Old 03-05-2003, 11:05 AM
What size Long Trail?

What size tire do you have? I just bought a used 2000 F150 that has P235/70R16 Long Trails on it. With only 5/32 tread they need to be replaced but are getting surprisingly good traction as is. I think they are the OEM factory tires, as there is an unworn Long Trail spare and the truck has 53K. We just finally got a good snow and local the roads are now packed snow or ice. Consumer Reports rated them excellent tires a few years ago in a SUV tire test. BF Goodrich also ranks them as top performer in the categories that matter the most to me. I am thinking about getting another set of Long Trails but want to get LT tires for my application. They don't make the LT in that size so I would probably get the LT225/75R16 D. The All Terrain TA KO LT235/70R16 C tire would be exactly the right size and load rating but I don't go off road much and it would cost at least $60 more per tire with no road hazard or rotation plan at the tire dealers I called that can get them. I don't think that it would be worth the money. Best of luck on your Long Trails.

Old 03-05-2003, 05:23 PM
I'm running 225/75/15s.

(Shhhh...I drive the F-150's little brother, the Ranger!)

I doubt I would get All Terrain TAs unless I moved somehwere that required me to be in deep mud or snow-covered dirt a lot.

As you said, the Long Trails are rated best in the categories most important TO YOU.

Same here. I want good dry handling, rain traction and smooth ride right now more than traction in 6 inches of mud.

Take Care.

Quick Reply: Long Trail T/As: follow up