Changing REAR Brake/Drum Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 08:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Changing REAR Brake/Drum Shoes

HI!
I have changed REAR drum shoes on at least 3 types of different cars, most of them "little" export cars. I want to change them on my 1997 F-150. I adjust them every 3-4 months; so far 6 years with the original ones, NO damage to any part of the system or drum.
The thing is that I got kind of surprised because they were kind of different from the other cars, or perhaps it has been so long since I changed the last pair.
I want to know if there is something I should be aware of when changing. Other than that, it looks like taking them off, and then putting them back on in reverse order.
Is there anything important that I should know?

Thank You

Robert

Old 02-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other than making sure all the parts go back on the right place, which is best accomplished by pulling the drums off both sides and completing one side at a time so you have a reference for all the parts, I'd:

1. clean and grease the adjuster. Make sure its clean and there are no spots on the threads where it hangs up.

2. replace the springs. They're cheap and over time they lose their force due to the heat created by the brake. The springs play a vital role in the auto adjust function of the brake.

3. Make sure the park brake cable/pedal system applies & releases freely.

4. Measure the drum and replace if oversize (or even close since additional drum wear will occur prior to the next lining replacement).

Good luck!

Tom

Quick Reply: Changing REAR Brake/Drum Shoes