Spare Tire Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare Tire Trouble

I tried to drop my spare tire today for the first time and the spin off thingee just spins and it wont drop or unscrew. Anybody got any ideas?

Also I checked my jack and the lug nut wrench is gone. I had the dealer do some work on my cab a couple years ago. Guess I got screwed on that too.

Old 03-11-2003, 11:35 AM
What is a Spin off thingee first of all. Are you refering to the metal piece at the end of the cable? If that is what you are talking about it DOES NOT come off you have to lean it at an angle and then push it thru the hub of the wheel. I you are talking about the area where the crank goes make sure it gets inserted fully otherwise it won't lower the spare. By the way the stock lug nut wrech is junk go to sears and get yourself a nice star wrench or find out what size your lug nuts are and get yourself a 1/2" Drive breaker bar and a deep socket that fits it and keep those in your truck.

Richard D.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Old 03-13-2003, 12:28 AM
What year is your truck, 2002s have a lock on the spare tire winch. the Key should be in the glove box.

Old 03-13-2003, 07:41 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
He has a 1998.
In addition to a lug wrench, you'll need something to pry the Center Caps off, if you have them. They have a slot for this and the orginal Ford lug wrench has a rubber tipped end to prevent scratching. I guess an old, large Flat-Tip screwdriver would work. You could wrap the tip with tape.

I agree the original wrench is junk. About 16 inches long.
(Great torque at that length).

Old 03-13-2003, 09:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I only had to use my spare once that crank to lower takes a little work sometimes to get it going as far as the lug wrench its not the greatest but it is better than nothing.

Old 03-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Well I figured it out (head slap). Thanks guys! Anyways I pulled a X tire iron out of my shed and took it on my trip over to Cali. I didn't want any troubles crossing 250 miles of desert each way and no access to my spare even though I have new tires. No problems on the trip unless having a few truckers flash thier high beams at me because of my silver stars is a concern, heh. They light up the road great and they are NOT aimed high. Got 19.4 MPG driving 75-80 most of the way. In my best Sammy Hagar - "I can't drive 55".
Paid $2.199 for unleaded at Union 76 off Hwy 60, City of Industry, CA.

Old 03-14-2003, 02:01 PM
With regard to lug wrenches Gorilla makes a very nice foldabale wrench that goes from 12" to 24" and includes a few sockets for varies size lug nute for about 14.99 I think. Try this link:

http://www.performanceproducts.com/P...producttype=10

Richard D.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Trouble