Tires/Rims with 3 inch body

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires/Rims with 3 inch body

I can pick up a used set of 35 x 12.5 x 16 tsl super swampers real cheap for my truck so my question is will these tires fit on my stock 16 inch rims and will they fit if I put the 3 inch body kit in. I've done some checking around and I'm still confused if I'll need to do any modifying to fit the tires.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1997 F-150
mods,a few
soon to have 3 inch body lift with ?????

Thanx
Jeff

Old 03-28-2003, 08:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you'll need at least a 3 inch body lift to fit 35x12.50's. You'll probably have to do some cranking on the torsion bars and trimming on the front bumper's lower plastic valance also to fit 35's. You really need an 8 to 10 inch wide rim for a 35x12.50. You could probably install the body lift and put the tires on your stock rims and then save up for some aftermarket rims as quickly as you can. Swamper's don't exactly give a lot of milage and it will be less if you leave them on too narrow a rim.

Old 03-28-2003, 02:09 PM
First you should not put those tires on the stock rim it is way to narrow I think they are only 7.5" the berad on that rim is wider than that when off the wheel. Secondly you will need a suspension lift to fit 35's.

Richard D.

While your here check out my gallery:
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Old 03-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Richard D
Secondly you will need a suspension lift to fit 35's.

Don't read many members profiles huh? You know how many people on this website alone are running a 3" body lift and 35s? That is all you need to fit 35/12.5 or a 36/12.5. While a suspension lift is preferable to a body lift it is not REQUIRED that it be a suspension lift. Bottom line you need 3-4" of lift to fit the tires regardless how you get it. You might have to trim slightly on the front factory flares and on the bumper valance. I had to when I was running 35/12.5 on 10" wheels but its not an issue anymore now that I've got 8" wheels.

Old 03-28-2003, 08:04 PM
I read plenty of profiles and like you yourself said a 3-4" lift is needed to clear the 35's then some minor trimming is required so just by that statement alone it is clear to me that a 3" body lift is not suffecient to clear 35" without cutting. And since you said
3-4" if it is a 3" body lift and you need 4" then the 3" body lift isn't enough. I simply made referance that to clear 35" without trimming or cutting a lift is what you need. In my opinion if you have to cut stuff to make 35's fit with a 3" body lift then the 3" body lift is not the way to go to clear them.

Richard D.

Old 03-28-2003, 08:54 PM

Well, gotta give ya credit for trying anyways. 3-4" is a range of lift that is required for them to fit with different wheel sizes. On 10" wheels the tires may rub under certain conditions offroad. THATS why I trimmed mine so that it wouldn't have a chance at rubbing under any circumstances. Besides any rubbing that you would get with a 3" body lift is fixed by 2 very small cuts that you wouldn't be able to notice very well unless you were intently looking for that. But the general conclusion we've come to is that you need 3" of lift or more, DEPENDING on what size wheels you're going to run.

Old 03-30-2003, 06:40 PM
same problem

i have a 2001 5.4L and im looking at doing the same thing, but i have read about people having to trim? where exactly do you trim?! and what is the front valence? when im looking inside my wheel well, where is it that you are talking about trimming, and since my trucj is on extended warranty, will the dealer go ape**** if i do this trimming? any posts would be greatly appreciated

Trending Topics

Old 03-30-2003, 06:57 PM
The front valance is the plastic piece where your foglights are mounted. You'll see some guys cut out triangular-looking shapes to clear the tires.

Mike

Quick Reply: Tires/Rims with 3 inch body