2001 SVT wheels on 99?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SVT wheels on 99?

I just put 2001 lightning wheels onto my 99 F-150 Supercab. I just found out the the lug nuts for the 01 lightning are 14mm and my lugnuts are 12mm. The wheels have been on for a month with no problems. What do I do?

Old 03-29-2003, 10:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Colin,

Myself, if I were in that place, I'd get a set of the 12 MM L lugs ASAP, and change them, but I am one, not to try using acorn nuts on them like others have.

go to www.oemfordparts.com and order a set of 12 MM lugs M-1012-C ( 12 mm lugs for trucks built before 29-NOV-99 ).

While you are there take a look at the L wheel stops, so you don't have to worry about trashing the inside of the rim, M-1010-L if you did not do them already. Again I am overly cautious, so moving the brake line and mounting bolt is not in my category either.

Steve

Old 03-29-2003, 08:16 PM
My truck was built in september 1998 so I already have 12mm lugnuts... or are you saying the the "L" lugnuts are different or something?

Old 03-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Colin
I'm assuming the wheels are genuine Ford and not clones. Ford wheels will not accept acorn type lug nuts, don't even try them. I've got clones that require acorn lug nuts. There is some discussion about whether running 14mm holes on 12 mm studs is safe or not. I'd say it isn't the preferred way, but I don't think its a problem as long as you torque them right and check it occasionally. I've heard you can buy a spacer to slide over the stud to take up the 2mm space.
The base of the Ford Racing 12 mm lug nut is the same as your stock. The racing nut is chrome and enclosed. Performs the same but looks much better. www.summitracing.com also carries them.
Definetly get the L steering stops or weld a small nut or even a couple of washers on to the existing steering stop, as I did. I learned the hard way that it is nessecary.

Old 03-30-2003, 12:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Colin,

The L lug nut is nothing like the stock acorn nut.
The bottom seat of the lug nut is flat with a poly washer on it, vs the bevel bottom seat of the stock acorn nut.

The hub is what holds the truck weight, the studs are only for holding the wheel to the hub.

The Racing part numbers above are the L lug nuts for the year truck that they are needed on, basically the aftermarket outlet for SVT parts, that is why not all dealers carry Ford part numbers starting with M. I know www.fordpartsonline.com does not.

Summit does carry Ford racing parts, but charges MSRP for them ( that is where I got my stops at, and paid 5.00 too much for them ), and they take a while to get parts tha are ordered like the Ford racing parts.

Guess I should have started my last post with the same disclaimer as 2fords, you noted 01 L wheels, but this only aplies if they are actual Ford wheels, not clones.

The cost of the lug nuts is 11.95 per set of 5 ( I think that is it ), and the wheel stops are 21.95 ( or there abouts ), at OEMFordparts.com.

Local Ford Racing dealers to you, if you don't want to online order them.
Summit Ford Sales 416-741-5581
Total Ford Sales 416-789-7185
You can look up al the parts at www.oemfordparts.com or www.fordracing,com/performanceparts

Let me know if that answers your questions or not.

Steve

Old 03-30-2003, 04:10 PM
my 02 rims fit on my 99 and have had zero problems.

Old 03-31-2003, 01:37 AM
I'm confused now. What you are saying is that I should be getting another set of 12mm lug nuts? The 01 F-150's have 14mm lug nuts correct? So, how about I pick myself up a set of 2001 lightning 14mm lug nuts from my local SVT dealer and everything will be fine?

Or should I not worry about anything and just keep driving? The stock Ford 12mm lug nuts are not acorn style correct?

Trending Topics

Old 03-31-2003, 02:33 AM
!st off Ford does not use acorn nuts on any of their stock wheels. You have the same poly washer on your open nuts. The only difference between your lug nuts and the 12mm L lug nuts is they are a closed end and chrome so it would do nothing for you except enhance the appearance. The L bump stop is a necessity as the inner bead or innerwheel weights wheel be shredded fast. Do not waste your money on 14mm lug nuts they wont even thread on your 12mm studs. So stick w/ 12mm lugnuts(yours are jsut fine) and make sure they are torqued properly. If you want to use 14mm luga you'll have to pull your existing lugs dril the hole out and replace w/ 14mm studs. I am not sure of the size bit you'll need but if you do a search several people have done it. But your fine jsut as you are..just remember to check the torque on them occasionally.h

Old 03-31-2003, 08:33 AM
Alright thanks guys... ill probably pick up the steering stops today.

Quick Reply: 2001 SVT wheels on 99?