Warped Rotors, best combo???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok Todd or anyone else. lets re-shape the question then. Which pads are more forgiving on the rotors and which pads are not regardless of how long they last? If there was a pad that didn't heat up the rotors we wouldn't be in this re-ocurring ridiculas circle of events with front rotors heating up and warping.

frank

Old 04-12-2003, 09:36 AM
Re-shaped reply

Ok, I'll bite.

There is no one answer to the question. Like all those foolish questions (which tires are the best?) it depends on your wants or needs.

The factory pad will do well for most people and offer a fair life cycle. But for the more 'spirited' driver who wants shorter stoppping distances the more aggressive pad is chosen. But he may also have premature issues.

Now consider the mass of the truck changes when you add 1k pounds in the back too. That means any pad has to work harder to stop the vehicle. More heat. Regardless of pad.

So, what do we do? First just accept the fact that any pad can or may cause this problem. The harder you use them the more the problem comes up. Or go to larger brakes. (I'm not going to put in a plug here, just make the statement) By doing so you add headroom to the thermal capacitiy of the system and thus buy some more time. Still you can damage the most high dollar of systems by abuse- like hard stops and leaving your foot on the brake pedal!

Best advise; don't brake at the two marker (a raciing term) instead slow down a bit earlier and let off the gas, when you do stop creep the truck to prevent hot spots, avoid cold water on very hot rotors, and simply don't expect an F truck to stop like a Porsche.

Old 04-12-2003, 10:59 AM
So in general a more aggresive pad does not have a tendency to eat rotors? I was under the impression that some pads were softer and did not last as long. so what you are saying is that is dosen't matter. The rotors are more responsive to the driver than the pads. I was just thinking if there was a pad that only went 10k miles but left my rotors alone I would be happy to replace them more often. Right now I can make a set of pads go 3 turns on a rotor? Good stuff Todd, I enjoy talking to people who don't just blurt out "buy these" Thanks

Frank

Old 04-12-2003, 01:30 PM
Also, there is no 'best combo' on all of this. If there were you'd have gotten it from Ford

Sorry but that statemant is way incorrect Ford is not going to put something better because not all people prefer that type of performance brake application and it is not cost effective. Which is also one of the reason they put passenger tires on truck and soft shocks and silent mufflers etcc.........

Richard D.

Old 04-12-2003, 07:44 PM
O.K.--

Bottom line is that the brakes on these trucks should not "warp" (run out, pulsate, vibrate, squeal) under any normal condition that you subject your truck to including the occasional panic stop or while towing in the summer up to the recommended towing weight down a hill.

Unfortunately not all years and stock set ups handle this well. I have tried every pad and rotor combo offered by the dealer and none has stayed true no matter how much I baby my truck. (and I have always "creaped" at lights/stop signs for over 20 years and it drives my wife nuts!!)

So far the best combo I have come up with for price and drivability for ME is the oem brembos and ebc 6000 pads. very little dust decent stopping power which gets better the harder they are used. Remember this is just what I use as a frame of reference. NOT a purchase recommendation.

Richard D you are right on the money!

Old 04-12-2003, 08:14 PM
HCMQ,

Just curious to the brembos as far as warping goes. Has the set up you have been using warped rotors? Just looking for real life experience.

Thanks

Frank

Old 04-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Well I know that the first reply was on topic, my point is that the rest of the replys were not.

As for going with the oem parts I don't like the fade that the factory setup gives you. My wife won't drive my truck because she feels like it wont stop. and she hasn't driven it in 3 years.

The one thing I don't want in a new brake setup is brake dust building up on the wheels. I hate when you look at any of the new expedition or nevigators they all have black rims in the front from the brake dust. Nothing can make a sharp vehicle look like crap faster than brake dust built up on the rims till they are black.

Therefore if slotted rotors with the hawk pads were to produce lots of dust then I would have to really think about it as i don't want to wash my rims every day either. Dose anyone who has this setup care to comment on the dust buildup on the rims?

Old 04-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Would the OEM Brembo's work well with Ford pads?

Old 04-13-2003, 01:04 PM
Them's the brakes

My comment on the factory doing it that way was simply meant to show that if they could come up with one set up that served the needs of everyone I do believe they would. Yes, I know, they won't sell you more parts etc etc. but give 'em a little credit here. If you compare the parts on a truck today with the parts on them even ten years ago you'll see they've made significant changes to meet your requests. To that end I'd bet they've made more folks happy than unhappy.

The stock pads on my 02 are not or were not all that great for stopping power. I agree and I'm content with the PFCs. I doubt I'll do much more. But I also realize that the nature of a better pad with a higher Cf will accelerate the wear of both the pads and the rotors. That's going to be the same regardless of brand. No pad I've ever seen lasts forever, is easy on rotors, and stops on a dime with nine cents change.

The more bite the pads have will have a big impact on the system when it comes to heat. Heat is the enemy of the rotor. Most complaints of poor braking is not the stock parts won't stop, but rather the stockers won't do it over and over. Pad faid, fluid fade, or rotors that warp when not allowed to cool properly.

I wish I or someone could offer up the ultimate solution. But given the needs of people vary as well as the wants and budgets and driving styles etc. I just don't see a one size fits all answer. I applaud those who try different ideas and compare the results. Just be sure the comparrisons also take into account the objective of the parts used.

Old 04-13-2003, 01:12 PM
I have the Powerslot rotors with HAWK pads and they DO NOT produce any more brake dust than the stock setup in fact up to this point they actaully appear to produce less. I have however applied a product called Wheel Wax that is supose to help repel brake dust and it appears to be doing its job. I put the Brembo rotors on the wifes Honda with some of the Pro Satisfied pads from Tire Rack and those make more brake dust than mine do. I have to wash here rims at least once a week but it only take about 5 minutes so it really isnt that big a deal. There is something you can do about a soft pedal and that is to install Stainless Steel Braided brake lines also you can put better fluid in by using Castrol GT/LMA High performance brake fluid it cost no more than regular fluuid and has a much higher boiling point it is an exellant product.

Richard D.

WHILE YOUR HERE CHECK OUT MY GALLERY:
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Last edited by Richard D; 04-13-2003 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:29 PM
My OEM Brembos and EBC 6000 pads have been on for almost 15k and no warping or dust.

Infact I do believe the rear stock setup produces more dust!

My only complaint is that the EBC's need to be a little warm to work well. On some cold mornings this past winter it felt like the truck wasn't going to stop!

Overall, though I am very satisfied with the set up.

When my wife's minivan is in need I will put the Brembos on!

Old 04-13-2003, 10:00 PM
HCMQ,

Great! Thanks for the update. What other combinations did you try that were unsuccessful. Also, Have you changed your driving habits at all. Just wondering how many times you did your brakes before you found success. thanks

Frank

Old 04-14-2003, 08:03 AM
I tried two different combo's before I bought the Brembos.

1st was stock when I bought the truck

2nd was turned rotors with pads that the dealer said were a Ford OEM upgrade from factory. Then they had to put new rotors on. Then another set of new rotors (From Napa I don't know the name brand however)

I am very easy on the brakes I always have been. I brake early and "Creap" at lights to avoid hotspots. And I only wash my truck in the morning before I even run it because my truck is black!

Old 05-13-2003, 09:33 PM
HCMQ

I'm curious, What are you running in the rear. Niether ebc pads or brembo rotors are available for the rear disks on my truck. I think I'm gonna go ahead with that combo on the front but what about the rear?

Thanks

Anyone else feel free to chime in.

Frank

Old 05-14-2003, 11:18 AM
I have not looked into pads and rotors for the back yet. However I will be looking this spring because it's time!!

Let me know what you come up with.

Quick Reply: Warped Rotors, best combo???