Covers for axle end caps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Covers for axle end caps?

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the tear drop wheels on the F150 (http://www.aaarims.com/wheels/3196.JPG) look much better without the center caps. Underneath the caps are black nuts and studs which is a nice contrast. The only problem is that the axle end shows and is rust colored. Is it possible to just cover the end of the axle with a cap? And if so does anyone know a good source for these?

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2003, 02:22 PM
Nope only way you'll get em is to have them custom made. Why not just take off the wheel, polish off all the rust and then paint the axle plate black. That would look better IMO.

Old 04-19-2003, 08:12 PM
Being painted black would be kind of neat. I don't know what Ford would think about that being that I am leasing. Maybe just a different center cover from a different wheel would look better. The one on their now has a chrome finish which in my opinion doesn't go well with the rest of the wheel.

Last edited by fun island blue crew; 06-21-2003 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:05 PM
I doubt Ford would even notice and if they did all you're doing is preventing rust. I'd go ahead and paint em. If I end up keeping my F150 I'll paint mine black since it looks better with my baja wheels that way.

Old 06-21-2003, 08:15 PM
powerstroke73,

Thanks for the suggestion way back when I posted this topic. I have thought a lot about doing this and today I finally went ahead and did it. It's even better than I thought it would look.

Here are before and after photos.

Before:

After:

I know it's hard to see the detail on the wheels from the photo but they really do look neat with the black contrasting the aluminum. Gives the truck a whole new look.

Thanks again for the idea to paint the axle ends.

Mark

Quick Reply: Covers for axle end caps?