Stay away form dealers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stay away form dealers

I brought my truck in for an unrelated problem, it’s still under warranty. They called and told me I would need new brakes, front and rear. I told the dealer to do the work. I picked up my truck and everything felt fine. The next night I went out and applied the brakes in an emergency stop, a car ran a stop sign. The truck kept moving. No anti-lock action, nothing. After that the brakes are beyond spongy. I took it to a mall parking lot to test it. The anti-lock system was not working, and from 40 mph, standing on the brakes the truck would just roll to a stop. This just confirms my what I always thought, stay away from dealers. And the unrelated problem, it’s still a problem.

Old 05-05-2003, 10:52 AM
Wabelita-

Obviously, your dealer/mechanic was an imbecile. You can have these problems at any dealer or other type of shop. This is a clear sign to find a DIFFERENT, competent repair shop. The problems that you described sound very serious and should be repaired quickly to keep yourself, the family, and society safe.

Old 05-07-2003, 11:27 PM
you might not want to elaborate on the fact you had to hit the brakes really hard with brand new pads. You did what you had to do, but hitting fresh pads hard will or can glaze them (especially if the tech didnt take the truck for a series of 8 or so controlled stops from around 25 mph). Just say "my new brakes arent working, Why Not? "

Old 05-08-2003, 11:10 PM
After talking to the dealer about the brake job he told me that the brakes have to wear in. Because of the new pads and turned rotors. That might make sense but when I bought the truck it has 20 miles on it and the brakes were fine. After a 150+ miles on the brake job it’s still spongy and it takes forever to stop. The dealer said to give it a week or so…we’ll see???

Old 05-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm no brake expert, but it should not take more than 250 miles. The glazing comment is also a good point. Either way the ABS should have been felt.

MK

Old 05-12-2003, 10:43 PM
Somehow hearing about imbeciles and glazed made me think of cops and jly donuts. Is there a correlation?

Old 05-20-2003, 06:41 AM
Brake pads do take time to wear in (sometimes several hundred miles) and brake performance will be poor until they do. I've experienced this everytime I've changed front pads whether I turned the rotors or not.

The ABS should not have kicked in if the wheels didn't lock up. With new pads, its almost impossible to make the front wheels lock up, therefore, the ABS won't activate.

The shop should have at least told you to expect decreased brake performance for a while.

Quick Reply: Stay away form dealers