Midas brake job?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midas brake job?

I saw a Midas commercial offering lifetime brake pads. Since my truck is about due I figure I would check it out. Does anybody recommend this, or should I go another route? Thanks.

1999 F150 4x4 5.4 V8 4 wheel disc

Old 05-08-2003, 09:32 PM
They do offer lifetime warranty on pads, but make no mention of the rotors.. When you change grade of pad from something easily wearing to almost impossible to wear, something has to give.. therefore the rotor gives... I am not knocking Midas or any other franchise brake service, but it is just a draw to get you to their store..and you probably would be better off sticking with a wear pattern as your OEM pads.

FordMasterTech

Old 05-16-2003, 12:14 AM
Don't forget.... The pads are guaranteed, Not the labor. for the price of a set of pads they can get you to come back and pay their labor over and over agian. I have had the opposite experence with some of my customers. Instead of expensive ( harder ) pads being used they use a slightly lower quality ( and softer) pad. This keeps the noise down and the only penality they pay is charging you more often to change their 'lifetime' pads. Auto part stores do the same thing. You can get a lifetime guarantee on their parts also. but if the parts are not that great you spend extra time changing them all of the time.

Old 05-16-2003, 12:30 PM
TRUE!!

FordMasterTech

Old 05-20-2003, 06:27 AM
When Midas gets you in the door to replace your "Free" pads, garuanteed, they will find you need new rotors, new calipers, new brake hoses, new master cylinder, new shocks, front end alignment, tires balanced, etc. That free $10 box of pads will get pretty expensive. They'll get thier money back on those free pads.

Old 05-20-2003, 11:58 AM
I would add, from personal experience that just about anything from an auto parts store or repair shop that comes with a “lifetime” warranty is cheap crap that will not last, be it brake pads, rotors, starters, alternators etc. I have found that if you are buying parts for a vehicle you plan on keeping for quite some time you should only buy good quality products.

My experience with Midas is as someone else described, they are a HUGE joke and the couple I delt with had mechanics that did not know their *** from a hole in the ground. I had a car once that was built, motor, tranny everything, including a completely rebuilt front end. It was a 79 Camaro and I took it in to Midas for an alignment. It was sometime in 90 or 91. Anyway the front end had just been completely rebuilt approx. 2 months before I brought it in, which was the reason I brought it in to get an alignment.

The tech ask if I would like for him to check over the car for other problems. I told him NO, do not touch anything just give it an alignment. Well the bonehead could not comprehend the word NO. Comes back 15 minutes later and tells me the “orignal” front end parts are shot and needs basically a complete rebuild to the tune of something like $800 or more.

I ask him are you sure? Yep, he replies. I ask if he had done the alignment or taken anything apart. He says no, I say great, move your *** out of my way I am leaving. He has a shocked look on his face and ask why. I tell him since he is a stupid moron I will not allow him or anyone else in the building to touch my car. I then inform him the front end had just been rebuilt.

STAY AWAY, or you will PAY big time money…

Quick Reply: Midas brake job?