Warranty on brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty on brakes?

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get my dealer to warranty my warped rotors? I have a 2001 F-150 4x4 with less than 25,000 miles. Rotors are warped and dealer said the warranty was only good on brakes until 18,000 miles! This is crap! Brakes should last longer than 25,000 miles! Has anyone else had this experience? If so, I would like to hear the outcomes. Thanks!

Old 06-11-2003, 09:28 PM
I think your dealer has his/her head up their @ss. the warranty is 36,000 miles or 3 years BUMPER to BUMPER which INCLUDES everything between the front bumper to the rear bumper and the bumpers as well. So unless they some how mounted your front bumper behind your front wheels DEMAND that they fix it or you will just drop it off and stop paying for it...

Well don't go that far. Any how your rotors, your pads, your windshield wipers, everything in that truck (except battery and tires) seperate warranties, but still MUST be covered for the first 36,000 miles or 3 years which ever come's first.

If they say that is wrong ask them to explain BUMPER to BUMPER and why and how did the brake rotors get left out, is there a clause in the warranty that states:

BUMPER to BUMPER except warped rotors????

It is covered, if you have a problem call Ford customer service, and your local Better Business Burea, tell your dealer this is what you will do since they are not honoring and following a CONTRACT that you, they and Ford entered into...

Old 06-12-2003, 08:21 AM
Rotors should be covered. The warranty guide states that "brake pads and linings" are wear items, not rotors though.

You may need to call Ford Customer Service and they'll call their children (the dealer) and set them straight.

Old 06-12-2003, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the input. I thought that bumper to bumper meant that exactly, but I guess in this world it may not. I will call up Ford and see whats up. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
better read the warranty. you would be amazed at what they consider "normal wear parts" that are not covered.

But be carefull, at that amount of milage they make claim that the warping is from the way you drive (read: abuse) and then wont cover them

Old 06-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Well I will state what I stated before and this also comes from "my" dealer. 36,000 3 years bumper to bumper means everything, even wear items. The windshield wipers are considered wear items and I just had them replaced under warranty while having some other work done and mileage was 34,500.

Do NOT let your dealer BS you, bumper to bumper is just that, but maybe my dealer is wrong, so I would call a few dealers and ask what they define bumper to bumper to mean, as well as Ford customer service.

Old 06-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
The windshield wipers are considered wear items and I just had them replaced under warranty while having some other work done and mileage was 34,500.

The dealer did that because you're such a pleasant, likeable guy

Old 06-13-2003, 02:06 PM
I read my warranty booklet and it says nothing about rotors not being under warranty. Pads however are not covered, which I understand. BUT, the dealer said my pads are fine and the rotors are shot and can't even be turned! My question to them was, if these brakes were abused, how come the pads are in great shape? They said they will look into it. I did get a call back from Ford and they spoke to my dealer. Magically the dealer called back and wanted to set up an appointment to do the brakes. Amazing.

Old 06-13-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by AjRagno
The dealer did that because you're such a pleasant, likeable guy
Well, that and he told me they were covered under warranty. I had asked how much to replace because they needed it and I expected to pay for them. Since he had just written up the service order he stated to me "You're still under factory warranty so those are covered". I told him I had "thought" that wearable items were not covered. He then stated back to me "the factory warranty is for 36,000 miles or 3 years which ever comes first, during that time everything on the truck is covered, unless due to neglect".

Old 06-13-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by oldnnew
I read my warranty booklet and it says nothing about rotors not being under warranty. Pads however are not covered, which I understand. BUT, the dealer said my pads are fine and the rotors are shot and can't even be turned! My question to them was, if these brakes were abused, how come the pads are in great shape? They said they will look into it. I did get a call back from Ford and they spoke to my dealer. Magically the dealer called back and wanted to set up an appointment to do the brakes. Amazing.
If the rotors have to be replaced, which would be done under warranty, then they would HAVE to replace the pads as well (under warranty NO cost to you). That is because it is part of a warranty failure. Since you have to have new rotors they are not suppose to put old pads on because the rotors will not seat correctly...

Old 06-14-2003, 10:15 PM
01 - what dealer are you going to? I may have to go to NH for my next warranty issue!
I had my rotors turned at 24,000 miles under warranty without trouble.
According to my warranty booklet, windshield wipers, brake linings, tire balance, and aligment are only covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles.

Old 06-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by 36fan
01 - what dealer are you going to? I may have to go to NH for my next warranty issue!
I had my rotors turned at 24,000 miles under warranty without trouble.
According to my warranty booklet, windshield wipers, brake linings, tire balance, and aligment are only covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Warranty on brakes?