Spots/stains on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Spots/stains on wheels

I have the standard 2003 5 spoke clearcoated polished aluminum wheels and have noticed spots that are not coming off. They appear to be water spots and are concentrated around the center of the wheel. I dry the wheels after every wash and do not allow the water to dry. I do use Bleech-white and Meguiar's tire gel, but I'm very careful when using it and try not to get any on the wheels. The only thing I can think of is when I wash the tires/wheels and spray them first with a hose, the gel appears to slightly come off a bit because the water turns a little milky as it runs off the wheel and tire. If tried wax and polish but nothing touches the spots. Short of having a shop strip the clearcoat and re-apply it, is there any product out there that will remove these?

Thanks!!

Old 06-17-2003, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Submitted my problem to http://www.topoftheline.com/ where there's a link to ask detailing questions to this email address: ask@topoftheline.com and received the following response:

"I'm sorry, but your Westley product contains an acid in that has permanently etched your paint. A lot of wheel cleaners also have acids that will do this. They do not harm aluminum or chrome, but cannot be used on coated alloy or aluminum wheels.

You might consider removing the coating and just care for the aluminum with a polish designed for that. Eventually, the clear coat will develop microscopic cracks that allow the metal to oxidize under the paint. You will have to remove it eventually."

Damn..... at least the damage is not horrible, but I'll keep an eye on it. I cleaned my tires & wheels the same way on the 2001 I had and never had any damage on those clear-coated wheels...must be cheaper clearcoat on the 2003's.

So......a word of caution when using the Bleche-White product, watch the oversparay.

?????Is there another product out there that will clean tires as well as the Bleche-White, but that's clearcoat safe???????

Quick Reply: Spots/stains on wheels