Rear Rotor Removal on 2000 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Rotor Removal on 2000 2WD

I searched this forum but couldn't find anything that quite touched this particular application.

I need to remove (and replace) my rear rotors. I have four-wheel ABS, and I know this procedure is the same as would be for the Lightning, if any Lightning owners might know.

I have beat the crap out of them with a hammer already, without even a budge. Does the axle nut need to be removed for the 2WD trucks? I know you guys with 4x4 can just slide them off (front and rear) without unscrewing anything, but our system is different.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially from someone who's done this before, or from a factory tech. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-25-2003, 01:34 PM
You don't have to remove axle nut, all you can do is to pound on it, try giving it a few good wacks on the flat surface between the lug bolts. Also check and make sure that your parking brake shoes aren't adjusted too tight and locking on the rotor.

Old 06-25-2003, 02:58 PM
Okay, thanks. I guess I'll try a heavier hammer. I'd been using a 5# rubber mallet and wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I needed to unscrew or whatnot (like there is on the front) before I use a bigger hammer and hit a little harder. I'll try the parking brake thing, then a 20# hammer.

Thanks again
Jeff

Old 06-25-2003, 04:30 PM
You probably aren't gonna break it loose with a rubber mallet, if you hit it between the lug bolts with a metal hammer (keep the hammer face flush, don't use the edge of the hammerhead, the shock of the hammer hitting the rotor will break loose the rust between the rotor and axle and cause the rotor to pop off the axle.

Quick Reply: Rear Rotor Removal on 2000 2WD