Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Rear Wheel Sensor

Steve,

I just looked this up on the O'Rielly Auto Parts web:

part# ABS111
Not in stock but, Next day service !
costs $15.59, made by Borg-Warner, BWD Driveline ABS Sensor is the description.

This should do it, ABS light has been on for over a year, would have been a week if I had known about this excellent web site earlier.

Thanks for the help, I'll post the outcome.

Last edited by Valk1500; 09-22-2003 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:58 PM
I replaced mine today. It works $22 from Ford dealer.

Last edited by MOVEOVER; 09-27-2003 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:54 PM
I just had the same thing happen to me this morning. I did a search on this site and found the most likely culprit, the rear differential ABS sensor. Called the local dealer and had a new sensor in my hands in less than 20 minutes. dropped by my shop and had the mechanic install the new sensor in less than 10 minutes. Total cost, $18.61 for the sensor, $10.00 for the mechanic. Sure beats the hell out of $100 plus bucks at the local dealer. Parts guy said these go bad all of the time, they had over 30 in stock. Thanks for a great informative site with knowledgable folks who do their best to help out fellow Ford owners. If it weren't for this site, I would have never known that I got shafted on the HD cooling radiator that I paid for but didn't get. Thanks again guys....

Old 10-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Thumbs up abs light

just wanted to thank whoever put the info in about the abs light,,to repalce the sensor,,on the rear diff,,,it worked,,,i will add just one thing,,,i'm not sure it was in the post,,,,the new one i got was just a little bit shorter,,,maybe a quarter of an inch shorter,,,make sure you get it in all the way,,,i had to push on it pretty good to get the o ring all the way down,,,,but thanks for puttin in the info instead of spending all the money to have it tested and all of that suff...

Old 10-15-2003, 10:11 AM
How to reset the RABS light?

I tried disconneting the two wires and read the codes (got 16 - all is well). If you're wondering the reason the rabs light came on in the first place is because I was doing some soft brake pedal troubleshooting and had to disconnect the valve. I have since reconnected the wires and started up, but the light stays on.

Does anyone out there in 150-land know how to reset the rabs light? Appreciate any advice.

98 150 SC Offroad, 150K

Old 10-15-2003, 04:06 PM
Suspended
Thumbs up

Great thread, Guys. What would really top it off is a picture of the sensor on the differential. Would probably help those who are less mechanically inclined.

Old 10-15-2003, 06:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's the doohickey right to the upper right hand side of the pinion flange.

Old 10-17-2003, 07:40 AM
What size is the nut holding down the abs sensor?

Anybody know?

Time to cowboy-down.

Old 10-17-2003, 08:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ane182rf, try resetting the computer by disconnecting the negative side terminal from the battery, switching on the headlight switch (while battery is still diconnected) for about ten minutes, then turning off headlight switch (also while battery is still diconnected), and then finally reconnecting the negative side of the battery.

This may or may not clear the ABS light. If it stays off you're in like Flint, if not, then you keep troubleshooting.

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2003, 06:46 PM
ABS light driving me crazy

I have changed the sensor on the rear dif and i still get the light! I checked the code and get 4 flashes and i was wondering if anyone knew what that means. I hope that it is nothing to crazy because the brakes work fine. I have the ABS and brake light on so any ides would help me greatly. You all seem to know what you are talking about.

Thanks for the help

Old 10-17-2003, 06:48 PM
oh by the way the bolt holding down the sensor is a 10mm

Old 10-18-2003, 10:01 AM
Steve,

Thanks for the advice on using an ohm meter to test. I was looking for this procedure in the Haynes manual but it is not listed.

I pulled out the old sensor tested it and when it showed to be open so I got a new one. Fixed the problem for about $20.00.

Interesting note is that I called one dealer and they gave me a price of $21.00 but said they were out of stock on the part. They told me about another dealer who had them in stock so I just drove over there and when I went to pick up the sensor they told me it would cost $30.00. After I stated the 1st dealer told me it was only $21.00 they lowered there price to $21.00. Seems amazing to me that there is enough profit in these parts to be able to drop the price by a third at the drop of a hat.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Re: ABS light driving me crazy

Originally posted by sledx
I have changed the sensor on the rear dif and i still get the light! I checked the code and get 4 flashes and i was wondering if anyone knew what that means. I hope that it is nothing to crazy because the brakes work fine. I have the ABS and brake light on so any ides would help me greatly. You all seem to know what you are talking about.

Thanks for the help

Old 10-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Re: ABS light driving me crazy

I have the exact same problem. I recently had my truck back to the dealer to find out why the dash brake and abs light stay on. I also changed the rear speed sensor with no luck. Anyhow, the dealer says it is a bad rabs control module. They wanted $780.00 for the parts and labor. The service manager said that most people simply ignore the light rather than pay the steep price. I found the part on the net for $475. I am still looking for a better price. Perhaps a used one. Any info on how difficult this would be to change would be a great help! I am wondering if any special tools are needed. I believe the module is located under the radio behind the dash. I think the 4 wheel abs module is next to the power brake booster. My truck is a 1998 and only has rear anti locks.

Old 10-19-2003, 05:52 PM
Wow that is a lot of $$$$ so i may just ignore it too!! I will also look to see if i can find any more info about this problem and thanks for the info. If i find out anything new i will post it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: ABS Light