real short front brake life?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
real short front brake life?

My 2000 f-150 seems like it eats front brake pads. Driving habits are normal, mixed highway-city.
I got a real expensive brake job last November. Since then I've been noticing lots of brake dust on the wheels.
I've only put 10,000 miles on the truck since then and now the front brakes are shot. I'm taking it back to Ford tomorrow morning. Should I sqawk about the low brake life and say the pads must be defective and threaten to go to Midas or just bite the bullet and pay again. I don't think I should be replacing the pads so soon. What do you guys think?

Old 07-21-2003, 06:29 PM
Do NOT go to Midas unless you plan on buying stock in Midas because they will get a LOT of your money. Sure they have “lifetime” warranty on the pads, but you will be in often for pads and they will find nice little things to fix, not to mention turning the rotors etc, all of which are NOT a lifetime warranty. It should be “lifetime money machine”.

Are you pads stock? I have a 01 with 37,700 miles on it and I would say about 2/3rds of the pads are still left. I have never had any problem with brake dust, so either they are soft and wear quickly, some cheap type of pad or just plain defective.

If they are the factory pads with only 10,000 miles on them I would be taking the truck in to Ford to see what the problems is.

Old 07-22-2003, 02:20 PM
went back to ford

seven months, 10,000 mi. since they replaced rotors, and installed new pads. Service checked my brakes and said, "you need new pads and rotors again. I told them the wear was premature and said thier parts must have been defective and thier reply was normal wear items. They wanted another $472.00.
I told them to forget it. I went to Advance Auto, bought the parts for $118.00, I'll do it myself.
They charged me $28.00 for the inspection.

Old 07-23-2003, 07:27 AM
Doesn't sound like normal wear to me, at least you got it repaired. So if he way you brake is no problem, and it don't sound like it, you should have no problems with the new parts.

Old 07-23-2003, 12:45 PM
It's done

After dealing with Ford trying to screw me around, and reading bad things about Midas on this forum, I did it myself. What a piece of cake.
I saved myself a bunch of money, anyone considering doing it shouldn't hesitate.
The rotors just about fell off on thier own due to the fact they have been replaced so many times due to warpage (junk).

Quick Reply: real short front brake life?