Warranty and New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty and New Tires

Does anyone know if it violates factory warranties to put different (brand or size) tires on a new truck?

No, I didn't get a new F-150! I'm looking at new compact trucks and they often come with small, crappy all-season tires.

I wouldn't feel safe with a lousy tire on a new trucck but I don't want to void my warranty.

I expect they might say bigger tires are a "no go" because they would make the odometer record a lower milage. As for brand or type, who knows?

Thanks.

Old 07-26-2003, 09:49 PM
No, it should not affect the warranty. You can always have the dealer make an adjustment so the miles reads right.

Here is something that may be of interest. My 01 came with BFG's 275/60/17 so nice and meaty. This was when the Firestone issue was going. My miles are not correct eithers, a little less when measured by mile markers on the freeway. I think it is like 5% off...

Old 07-26-2003, 11:09 PM
Re: Warranty and New Tires

Originally posted by BigHog
Does anyone know if it violates factory warranties to put different (brand or size) tires on a new truck?

No, I didn't get a new F-150! I'm looking at new compact trucks and they often come with small, crappy all-season tires.

I wouldn't feel safe with a lousy tire on a new trucck but I don't want to void my warranty.

I expect they might say bigger tires are a "no go" because they would make the odometer record a lower milage. As for brand or type, who knows?

Thanks.
Your warranty should be fine. Each stealership is different, so ya never know what they might try and pull.

At any rate, consider this tire swap in regards to your speedo/ODO reading short issue. My '01 SCrew came with 255/75/16's on it from the dealer. I promptly swapped these for 285/60/18's on '00 Lightning replica wheels. My overall increase in height was so small that the impact on ODO readings would be totally immaterial. Unless you have designs on a set of 22's or 24's, I don't think ODO readings should be of great concern.

-Mike-

Old 07-27-2003, 12:46 AM
BigDeal makes a good point. It is about the tire height...

Old 07-27-2003, 12:50 AM
I plan to increase tire height by about 1 inch. According to the calculators online, that would throw the speedo off by about 1.5 mph at 60 mph.

No big deal, right?

So long as the factory warranty people agree.

Old 07-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by BigHog
I plan to increase tire height by about 1 inch. According to the calculators online, that would throw the speedo off by about 1.5 mph at 60 mph.

No big deal, right?

So long as the factory warranty people agree.
You're right, it really shouldn't be viewed as any bigdeal (I made a funny on myself!). If you want to totally cure the situation, buy a SuperChips MicroTuner for your truck. You'll get:

-1- Increased performance (oh yeah!).

-2- Ability to adjust the speedo for tire size increases.

-3- Ability to remove the programming (and return to stock) when it's time for warranty work (i.e. no hassles from your service dept).

I did it to my truck and would highly recommend it for increasing the 'fun factor' on your ride.

-Mike-

Old 07-27-2003, 02:58 PM
Another good point from BigDeal, man he is on a roll...

Quick Reply: Warranty and New Tires