Rear Brake Shoes Install For 1997

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brake Shoes Install For 1997

Hi Guys and Gals, I need to replace the rear brake shoes on my 97 pickup, and was wondering if the ABS complicates matters as far as the procedure is concerned. I've always done my own brake work on my other Fords and haven't had any problems but haven't tried drums on an ABS vehicle.

Before I pull off the drums, is there anything I should know about any differences??

Thanks in advance for any help, guys. Now that I'm retired I would rather do it myself than have it done. Got plenty of time....

Old 07-29-2003, 10:48 PM
just replaced my shoes on my 97 and the abs was not a factor in the brake change. the shoes can be a liitle difficult because of the big springs but other than that a typical rear brake shoe job

Old 07-29-2003, 11:15 PM
Heres a'ben dar don dat'...when you do it make sure you look at the adjuster lever and check to see if the star wheel has cut a notch in it..if it has you need to replace...also if your high milage I'd go ahead and get a brake kit and replace the springs and mount pins plus take a close look at the wheel cylinder...if it even shows the least bit of brake fluid around the seal boot ,replace them both...specify ABS when getting them cause they are 2 differant cylinders...also make sure you adjust out too where the drum is just scratching the pads on both sides and then apply the brakes and recheck the adjustment...AND if you've never had it done get the fluid flushed completly...thats it

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Shoes Install For 1997