Replacement Brakes - 1999 F150

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement Brakes - 1999 F150

I have a 1999 F-150 Supercab Sport, with 4 wheel ABS disk brakes. I'm getting ready to replace the pads.

I'm looking for suggestions for the Best brakes pads... such as quiet, long life, low dust.

Also, I haven't replaced brakes, myself in about 20 years. Are there any surprises I should be aware of??

Thanks...

Art

Old 08-08-2003, 02:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add me

I'm about to do the same work, pads are $25 - $50 depending which ones you get.
The guy at Autozone said the cheap stuff puts a lot of brake dust on your rims.

Old 08-09-2003, 02:22 AM
acastelli,

The "best" pads? There are almost as many opinions about that as there are posters! I'll just tell you my experience.

At only 25K miles I needed new pads. Being disappointed with the Factory originals (didn't last long, didn't stop the truck well and too much dust), I did some research. My rotors were fine so I looked only into pads.

I went with the Raybestos Quiet Stops. The first day, after "bedding them in", I was amazed at the differance. They stopped the truck better than the Factory originals ever did.

After 6 weeks and ~ 1,500 miles, I'm happy to say that they are quiet, dust free and stop the truck better than the originals.(though not quite as impressivly as at first)

Bill

Old 08-10-2003, 01:35 PM
I replaced my pads with Bendix Titanium's. So far, they're great. Very low dust and they stop the truck well. I used some anti-squeal lube on the pad backings, and have experienced absolutely no noise from them. But, you will definitely get many different people who stand by certain brands and others who claim some brands are just about the worst thing in the whole world. Only word of advice I have: don't buy the super cheap ones, there really is a noticeable difference, mainly in how long they last.

Old 08-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Essentials

Just installed some carbon-metallic pads from Autozone $50 for the set.
2 things you will need to do the job are a 18MM socket (not standard with most sets) and a 6" C clamp (you may have one of these already)
Rotors looked smooth so I didn't see a need in getting them turned, just repalced the pads.
Stopping does seem to be better than OEM, and I haven't even broke the new pads in yet !!

Old 08-11-2003, 05:00 AM
I just replaced my front pads, had to replace my caliper, too. Went with Bendix Semi-Metallic. Seems to be stopping better than ever.

Old 08-18-2003, 06:08 PM
1st the issues:

The rotors might be hard to get off (If you are replacing them)
ONLY do one side at a time!!

2nd: the needed stuff,

as noted above 18mm socket
piece of wire hanger to hang caliper as to not damage brake line
as noted above a big "C" clamp or a large pair of channel locks squeeze the caliper BEFORE you take it off the rotor this way you will ensure a nice even squeeze and do it slowly so you don't cause air bubles

3rd: the pads,

I bought ebc 6000 from tire rack for $60-70 bucks I can't remeber very good stoping and little to no dust (About 25k on them so far)

If you need rotors i would go with the Brembo OEM's from tire rack $40 a piece.

good luck

Old 08-18-2003, 11:39 PM
Everyone has some good suggestions. I would say that with a 5 year span between brake jobs that the stock material worked pretty good for you. Why not stick with something that works for you?

Quick Reply: Replacement Brakes - 1999 F150