Brake pad suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pad suggestions.

I checked my brakes on Sunday. Looks like the fronts are down to about 5-6 mm pad remaining.

The 4.2/5 speed ext cab is not used for towing. We have about 48.2k miles on the truck. I figure I'll change the front pads around 50k.

I must say the brake have been flawless for me - no warpage, no pulsating, pretty darn even rotor wear. But, with an unloaded truck, I'm rarely hard on the brakes.

Should I just try to go with the factory replacement pads (I can get them at dealer cost), or does anyone recommend something different?

I noticed that tirerack.com has quite a few different sets for the F150. Has anyone ever tried the EBC brand 6000 Series pads?

Old 08-18-2003, 11:34 PM
Go with the dealer pads ( esp. at such a good price) After market pads can be a real hit and miss deal. Some are hard and warp rotors or make a lot of noise. Others wear out too soon or don't disapate heat well and cause a different set of problems. If you do normal everyday driving and don't tow heavy things alot, run fully loaded all the time, ETC it just isn't worth the headaches you will get by trying the after market for pads. I put 190,000 on my '99 only replacing the pads w/ stock parts and never turned a rotor. They had wear obviously but never had a warping problem, no hot spots or noise.

Old 08-20-2003, 03:51 PM
Brake Pads

I have tried several brake pads from Pep boys. All of them either warped the rotors or shuddered when they got hot. I am now back to the factory pads. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! Stay with the Fords. You won't be dissappointed.

Old 08-20-2003, 05:04 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you haven't had any problms with the factory pads, then you might as well get them again. But they really are not great pads. Bendix Titanium is what I recommend for reduced dust and good wear without addition heat (warping)

Old 08-20-2003, 09:54 PM
NAPA - $56 for ceramic front TS-7558M and rear disk pads TS-584-M and a pint of DOT4.

Old 08-21-2003, 07:20 PM
My experience with the factory pads has been sour. Twice now they've warpped the heck out of the rotors before the pad life is even half way worn down.

I'm trying the HAWKS RACING 'PRO-STOP' SLOTTED ROTORS (ebay $148.99) and the Tirerack pads, the Hawk hps street/sport pads for $72.

I only have a 2x4 but I occassionaly haul band gear all over hilly seattle, and spend a lot of time on the freeway. I'm probably WAY harder on the brakes than most people.

I have found that I cannot get the front brakes to lock up on dry pavement (I only have rear wheel ABS) when the truck is empty. During rush hour bumper to bumper traffic, I'd like to know I can stop the thing in a hurry if some retard pulls out in front of me.

Old 08-22-2003, 06:52 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ceramic pads plus OEM rotors = warpage. Been there - 5k miles. Ceramic pads plus good rotors (the Napa mid-grade ones around $65ea for 4wd) is a great combo.

Quick Reply: Brake pad suggestions.